• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild should Zelda U focus on story?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Gameplay always triumphs over a story, in my opinion. If you want good story, go watch a movie or play Skyward Sword.

Without story you have a simple arcade game. These are primitive and can be good time wasters but not particularly meaningful. A good story in a game can be better than a film or book as you can actually interact with it and I would say story is equally important to gameplay.

Let me rephrase; don't let story affect gameplay. In ALBW, you had the whole world and could literally buy every item by the time you got the Master Sword.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, for the Zelda Games, plot and story are a big part of it, so I'd say yeah. But I'd also add that there is room for more than just story. Since gaming isn't ALWAYS about storyline.

Salem

SICK
No.

It can have a main plot, an explanation for what we're doing, whats going on in the world but, without too much extensive cutscenes and exposition.

In other world, it should be minimalist.

Last edited:
Unless the story gets as deep as Xenoblade Chronicles, they shouldn't focus on story. Zelda has always been about gameplay, and I almost never care about the story or why I'm saving the world. I just want to explore the world, crawl through dungeons and fight crazy monsters.

Without story you have a simple arcade game. These are primitive and can be good time wasters but not particularly meaningful. A good story in a game can be better than a film or book as you can actually interact with it and I would say story is equally important to gameplay.

Yeah, and I guess TLoZ is an arcade game, hm?

No one's saying the game shouldn't have any story, we're just saying it should have infinitely less priority than the 2 most important things in a Zelda game: Gameplay and Level Design.

From what I've seen, story is rarely Nintendo's priority with their games. The general process seems to be gameplay, level design, and the like, with story coming once those are out of the way. And that's worked fine so far, so I'm fine with that process continuing. However, I would like to see the story take some kind of larger part in the games. Skyward Sword, for all of its flaws, put a bit more into its story, and it had some great moments. Hopefully Zelda U can continue on the same trend with story without obstructing gameplay in the process.

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
Yes, I get tierd of your princess was taken.................................go save her............yay? you saved her...........the end.........Nintendo: It prints money!!!!!

There are basically only two Zelda games where the story is "Your princess was taken"

Zelda plays a much larger role in the later games, and even when she is kidnapped, Link often has a different motive.

Honestly, I wish that Nintendo would go ahead and make this "generic" rehashed Zelda that people keep talking about because it sure sounds hella fun. A typical "save the princess" storyline in a grassy field + intuitive and well designed dungeons sounds like it would be a blast. You have a story to act as a catalyst to move the game's progress forward AND you get to play dungeons without any interruptions.

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
I understand what you mean, but I hope we could get something new that no one has done. I would love if Ganon became stronger than the gods in the game. If we could get different types of dungeons like thunder or ice temples. Nintendo has been playing it safe and not taking risks. I am fine wife Nintendo pushing Zelda Wii U back because if we've waited this long it better be good.

Reactions: Dio

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Considering how much people seem to enjoy the story then yeah it probably should focus on it to some degree. I have a catch to that though: on principle, if your game is about traversing environments (or exploration, if you will), fighting enemies and solving puzzles, then every moment where the player is locked from the possibility of doing at least one of those things is a compromise. You want those moments to either not intrude with the gameplay or to contribute to it in some way. Feel free to call me pretentious, but I believe that even people who supposedly "play for the story" still have an understanding and appreciation of this, unspoken or not.

I don't underestimate the value of atmosphere and story though, there's a reason Wind Waker is probably my favorite 3D Zelda. It seems to me like it combined both its world and the way it all played in a cohesive way the best even if it's arguably outdone by most other games in everything else like content density, combat complexity, dungeon count, etc. I imagine more dungeons and a less empty world could only have improved it.

Browen

xXThatReallyEmoNameXx
I liked Wind Waker because the story was different due to a {giant ocean} and made you travel around the map to progress with the story. Link didn't come to save the world, but to save his sister. There's not many plot twists except that Zelda is someone different such as Sheik or Tetra. I'm Fine with the story, but I just want something different that makes Zelda new and fresh.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah, and I guess TLoZ is an arcade game, hm?

No one's saying the game shouldn't have any story, we're just saying it should have infinitely less priority than the 2 most important things in a Zelda game: Gameplay and Level Design.
It pretty much is an arcade game

Yeah, atmosphere is really important in Zelda games. I loved Ocarina of Time's Water Temple because it just nailed the atmosphere and it was designed very well.

Problem is, Nintendo is kind of blatantly marketing off of nostalgia these days. The Star Fox Zero trailer literally has that "Do a Barrel Roll!" clip at the end because we all remember it and even turned it into a pretty funny song about 7 years ago.

The latest Zelda game I played was Twilight Princess, so I still haven't caught up with ALBW and Skyward Sword, but between that, Ocarina of Time, and even The Wind Waker, there have been a lot of rehashes in the temple's themes and atmosphere, it's like they're trying to tug on our heartstrings with nostalgia, but it's not working. I think The Wind Waker was a step in the right direction as far as dungeon atmosphere goes.

It pretty much is an arcade game
Not really, it is, by definition and by design, an action-adventure. Story is not the only amount of depth that's permitted in a VIDEO GAME, you know that, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom