• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Mario Games Have More of a Story?

In a recent interview about Super Mario Galaxy 2, Miyamoto said that he feels that Mario games don't really need a story.
What do you think about this?
Why does Miyamoto seem to dislike stories in his games?

I personally don't think that Mario games need much story, but I do think that they should give the rescuing the Princess story a break.

Miyamoto knows that story is a low priority in a game that's supposed to be all about fun. That is what Mario is: Just fun. Nothing more to it. It never needed flashy graphics, a deep storyline, or convincing voice acting. It just had to be pure enjoyable fun without any questions asked. It's been like that from the beginning, and I see no reason why it should change. Now perhaps for other Nintendo series, such as Metroid, I would like a deeper story line. It seems to me like Metroid always tried to have an epic story, but it's pure fun factor was always top priority. Given the nature of Metroid, I wouldn't mind a super deep story line. But for Mario, the fat Italian plumber who fights a mutant turtle, I don't think a story is needed now, and I don't see it needing story in the future. I look forward to Miyamoto completely focusing on the game play of Galaxy 2, and just ignoring story.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
The great thing about Super Mario Galaxy, like the mentioned in some interview before it came out, is that it's a game that you can fully enjoy without having to pay attention to the story. However, the story is actually pretty nice, and it's definitely there for players who do want a story. That's definitely one of the things that made SMG so great. I think SMG 2 is supposed to be the same. I sure hope so, because I enjoy the story, but I know there are many people who will just want to play a "Mario Game".

M

madslayer333

The mario series should definately have a storyline or it would get boring. A different storyline would be nice though, Like something not related to saving peach and killing bowser. A different storyline would be nice. Like mario looses his memories and he has to visit all of the old stages in his old games to regain his memory.

killing bowser.

Wait...What?

Bowser is like Eggman...He never dies...

But yeah, I don't want a deep storyline in a Mario game. Mario games are just supposed to be entertaining in gameplay not storywise. We have Zelda and Metroid for the story part of Nintendo.

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
Yeah, Mario games are more from the fun part. But is has it's own permanent little story about Bowser is kidnapping Princess Peach. Super Mario Galaxy has it's own secret about the stars, Rosalina's ''ship'' was powered by the grand stars. Stars are the key in every Mario Game, stars are ''running'' the lives in the Mario world. Except for New Super Mario bros and all, they are just funny Platforms games. Mario doesn't need a story, it has enough fans and reputation without a deep story added.

Anyway Super Mario Galaxy will be released because Miyamoto wasn't finished with his idea's in Mario Galaxy. He still have enough inspiration to make a new great game for Mario. Firstly i saw Yoshi is playeble in Mario Galaxy and pretty other wacky stuff.
Mario are in my top games because it's funny, games without a story doens't mean the gameplay sucks.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I don't know what to say. My view is that the storylines are fine, it's the playability that counts. Truly I enjoyed Paper Mario, and the other three nintendo titles, the very first ones. Those four are the only ones I've played. Then there is Mario Golf, but that is another story since it's just a sport title with Mario and friends in it. I say the storylines are fine, just make sure to give me something good to play in the game.

If you ask me, if every video game company stopped making stories, I'd be pretty happy.

It's nice to know what's going on, but I find it better to write your own story for a game. Remember Kung Fu, Elevator Action, and Urban Champion? They didn't have a plot. Everyone made their own.

If Mario didn't tell you anything but what to do next and hints, I'd change Bowsers name to Raptoricus and change the story from "damsel kidnapped by bad guy" to "damsel attempts to divorce from her ugly obese excuse for a husband because he just sits there and watches TV in his over protected castle. Husband gets angry and sends her to a dungeon. Coincidentally, two italian plumbers who still haven't learned the alphabet start following a trail of walking muffins, turtles, and giant guns through lands, sewers, and castles that end with a clone of Raptoricus who is dropped into lava and some malformity thinks that there here to get the princess and tries to tick them off each time they are found. Eventually the plumbers get to the real Raptoricus and throw him in the lava. They then proceed to find the princess who has gone completely insane after sitting there for so long and out of that insanity gets the hots for the fat one." Which one is more interesting? The one the game has or mine?

I don't think Mario games need a story. If I know what I'm doing, its boring. But if I make it up as I go along, its more fun. But its different for each game actually. In Mario or Pitfall, it gets repetitive so I spice it up with a little bit of story in it. In Zelda or Final Fantasy, the plot is always somewhat gripping. I often have trouble rewriting something like Twilight Princess or Okami.

Basically, Mario games should avoid stories as if they are drugs in my opinion. Unless we're talking about the RPG series. RPGs always need a plot.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Think of it this way. The Mario series doesn't really have any speech in it. The games revolve around multiple characters that don't talk or rarely talk. If they made a game with more story then those characters would have to talk at some point. If they talked, it could ruin them. It would be like Nintendo making a Zelda game where Link talks. I think the Mario games are the same with a huge amount of variety. The story is simple. Bowser (or some other creature) kidnaps the princess, Peach. Mario then saves her. Sometimes he saves her like halfway through the game but then has a new reason to go on, but most of the time his adventure revolves around finding Peach.

The thing I love about the Mario series is that there doens't need to be a story and it's still a great series. I also love how they can make Bowser out to either be the push over villain or the most diabolical evil the world has ever known.

I don't really think they should. Mario games have always been the simplistic kind of games, and I like them that way.

Kind of the party games, and the ones where the only thing to do is save peach and kick bowser's ***. It'll always be better that way.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
The mario series should definately have a storyline or it would get boring. A different storyline would be nice though, Like something not related to saving peach and killing bowser. A different storyline would be nice. Like mario looses his memories and he has to visit all of the old stages in his old games to regain his memory.

Holy... how many Mario games have you played?! So far Bowser has not died (well in NSMB he didd but he got revved at the end) but rather pwned by a somewhat chubby italian plumber. Although in some games he comes close to dying but survives (BIS they revive Bowser and he get's giant and SPM where he almost gets crushed by a falling cieling). That statement means you haven't played many Mario games.

But anyways yes Mario is just Nintendo's pure fun franchise where they don't give him anything flashy like a deep story, insane graphics (Nintendo doesn't really focus on graphics in any franchise anyways), or a deep BS. I'd love to see a Mario game with a deep story possibly and something different from 'rescue Peach and defeat Bowser'. Although the BS of Rosalina in SMG was pretty cool but it didn't have much else.

Zarom

The King
The Mario games are perfect the way they are. They are great like that, and that's why they need to stay like that. Some Mario games have pretty long stories (like Paper Mario), while most of them don't really have a deep story. Mario is more based on the gameplay rather than the story. And there is no need to have one. Nintendo has to keep their ideas for the stories for Zelda.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
If it ain't broke, dont' fix it.
Mario has neer needed a full on story, and personally, it never will.

The Mario games that I've enjoyed more are the ones with less of a storyline. Just the way I like it. People always say they want change, but when it comes so many complain about it. Leave it where it is. At least we know this way works.

But anyways yes Mario is just Nintendo's pure fun franchise where they don't give him anything flashy like a deep story, insane graphics (Nintendo doesn't really focus on graphics in any franchise anyways), or a deep BS. I'd love to see a Mario game with a deep story possibly and something different from 'rescue Peach and defeat Bowser'. Although the BS of Rosalina in SMG was pretty cool but it didn't have much else.

I don't know about you, but Mario Galaxy has the best Wii Graphics I've ever seen. Better than Brawl, better than Sonic Unleashed (Wii). When I see a Zelda game that takes hold of the Wii's capability, I'll change my mind about that, but until then, Galaxy holds the Best Graphic Title for me.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Diglett says: SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT! THE SPOILER BELONGS TO KOKIRI!

I don't know about you, but Mario Galaxy has the best Wii Graphics I've ever seen. Better than Brawl, better than Sonic Unleashed (Wii). When I see a Zelda game that takes hold of the Wii's capability, I'll change my mind about that, but until then, Galaxy holds the Best Graphic Title for me.

Yeah it does have some of the best Wii graphics in my opnion too but still it's just a more smoothed out sunshine if anything else.

Just compare the graphics from both games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCy2JNKs40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXGfjyPmCac

See? Just slighly smoothed out from Sunshine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom