• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Scary Games

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Does anyone else enjoy scary movies and games? I really want a game that I can pop in my 360 at night, throw my headset on, and play with sheer terror running down my spine. Here you can post about the scariest game you've ever played or games that you've heard are scary. It doesn't have to be for the 360, but I just want to get some ideas...

I googled the matter (yes that's good for everything), and I was recommended BioShock, Condemned 2, Dead Space, and others. Are any of these good? BioShock seems decent, and I've heard great things. I just don't want zombie stuff. Zombies don't scare me...

Bioshock is terrific. And they're not really zombies, although they are kind of the equivalent. Trust me though, in the right conditions Bioshock is freaking creepy as hell.
Great storyline and excellent gameplay, too.
I honestly don't think I've played another game that I found even a little bit frightening, except for the earlier Silent Hill games.

Bioshock and Dead Space (originals of both franchises especially) are exceptional "scary" games to pick up. They may not technically be in the horror genre, however, they sure as hell deserve to be.

There really aren't too many of those games anymore that will cause sheer terror to run down your spine. You said no zombies but I believe Valve's Left 4 Dead games separate themselves from the traditional pack as offering more eye candy in the forms of explosions and gruesome deaths as well as that perfect atmosphere of isolation and not knowing when a creep is going to come up on you. Of course that's nowhere near the pure lonely corridors of Half-Life...

F.E.A.R. is a good one for scares as well. The main antagonist, Alma, is a real creep... If you're playing in a dark room, that's a definite must. Also, check out the Silent Hill franchise as that hasn't dampened of thrills and chills either.

Fatal Frame for the PS2.
I think it is the only game that has ever made me yell "OH MY GOD" out loud, in fright. ^^

And if you're feeling really adventurous, look up "LSD for PS1" on youtube.
I dunno if I'd call it as much scary, as disturbing though.

Silent Hill 2 scared the ever living crap out of me. Just about every aspect of the gameplay was awful, don't get me wrong, but the suspenseful atmosphere of that game was fantastic. Easily the most alone I've ever felt playing a game.

I don't know what it is, but Zombies never scared me, either.
And really, not a lot of games do scare me. Though I've heard BioShock and Silent Hill are good if you want a creepy game...
Also, DeadSpace, ManHunt, The Suffering, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Doom 3, etc.

Seems I at first misread the OP as games being for the 360 and that system only. I highly recommend Resident Evils 1-4 as those are always good for some scares as well as the Half-Life franchise. The latter is not traditional horror or anything but watching enemies die in flames can be quite gruesome.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably check out Resident Evil, BioShock, and Dead Space.

Also, I didn't mean for this thread to be all about me. Please do talk about your personal favorite scary game and what makes it scary.

At times Half-Life is very creepy. Especially when you see a G-Man sighting...
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is an absolute must, what makes it scary is you compleate helplessness agaist the monsters. There are no weapons in the entire game.

There are a lot of scary games or horror games. I highly recommend the Silent Hill series. If there is one thing that SH will always succeed in, it will be the atmosphere. The plots are really deep and memorable. The fog covers your sight and you can't see anything which makes feel all alone and trapped. A lot of the monsters are truly terrifying and iconic. I can go on, but if you want to get into the SH series, start with SH2 for the PS2 or the superior XBox version, SH2 Restless Dreams. I don't recommend getting the HD collection since it is really buggy. Other series or games that are scary are Resident Evil(RE1,2,3,0 and Revelations) , Dino Crisis(it's basically Resident Evil but with dinosaurs), Clock Tower, Fatal Frame, Eternal Darkness, Siren, Haunted Ground, F.E.A.R, Bioshock, System Shock 2 and many, many more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom