• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past 's Dungeons?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally hated the Dark Palace and Turtle Rock. It isn't so much as them being annoying, just hard/a LOT of deaths. Otherwise, the dungeons were really good, had a slightly easy touch to them, and were nice for newcomers to Zelda (at the time).

W

wideyedwanderer

I loved the dungeons. Not overly difficult, but not too easy (like Wind Waker.) But for some reason I had a real tough time on the Ice Palace...

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I enjoyed just about all of them, except for Ice Palace (I think). It should be the one where you had to move the block in the right spot. I was stuck on that forever! Now, I make sure to get the cane that makes the blocks before that dungeon.

I liked all of them except for the 6th dungeon in the dark world. That one had so many ways you could venture about it. Otherwise, I thought they all are really easy, and well designed for the time.

Moldorm

Is not Error
ALttP's dungeons are some of my favorites of all.

They remind the player of the classic feel of the original LoZ dungeons and enhance that feel with the graphical upgrade of the SNES. The dungeons also take great advantage of Link's dash attack, an ability anyone who's played ALttP can appreciate. An element I was happy to see return was dropping down holes to appear on a lower level of the dungeon, a revamp from the dungeons of The Adventure of Link.

Additionally, the dungeon music is something I'll never forget about the series. :clap:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
ALttP was one of my favorite games, and the dungeons had a lot to do with it.

It represents, to me, the perfect balance between classic games and modern games. It has the classic puzzles and difficulty, but with a more modern dungeon size and storyline with hints to lead you places.

I would say that ALttP, LADX, and OoT represent the zenith of the Zelda series. All the games afterward seem to be a slow decline. MM and OoX are great games with innovation, but don't quite feel as revolutionary. WW and MC seemed a little short, and kind of rehashed, though still quite good and living up to the spirit of Zelda.

As for modern games, they have no balance whatsoever. They're either way too hard, or way too easy. TP, PH, and ST have all failed to impress me, and I doubt SS will. It might be Aonuma's fault, because I think it started going downhill when Miyamoto made him the director. Even Capcom did a better job than Aonuma, IMO.

Last edited:

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Threads a little stale but whatevs.

My favorite so far (I just finished the Ice Palace) is the Ice Palace. This dungeon requires a supreme knowledge of the layout and skill when it comes to staying alive. I was so pissed when I discovered that you can kill those penguin looking things with the hookshot in one hit. I'd been slashing away for 4 hits before then. And the gargoyle things that spring out of the wall. If you didn't get to their left or right you would need an excellent reaction time to get to the items menu and grab your fire rod.

The mazeness of all the dungeons is really cool and where I think it beats most other games as far as dungeons go.

Also. Skull woods is possibly the most frustrated I've ever been while playing a video game.
Ya'know that third section where you have to get to the boss and you go around killing mummies and the wall masters drop down and bring out back to the beginning? I hate that part. I did that section about 50 times. I only got the boss 3 times, but I got grabbed or killed, or ran out of magic way to many times. It was still awesome though.

I LOVE THIS GAME

and, its not nostalgia, I mean, I love the retro zelda feel, but I played OoT, MM, WW, and TP BEFORE this game, and let I still love it <3.<3 as much as those 4 3d games

any way, here are my thougts of each dungeon

Hyrule Castle: one of my favorite enemies to fight in this game were (or "are") the soldier, I love fighting these guys, I love the music of the castle btw, you can go stealthy or fighting the enemies, very amazing :D, and for the second part of the dungeon (when you are going to fight agahnim), I like the little puzzles while fighting the enemies

Eastern Palace: the light world dungeon music is GREAT, It amazes you when you face a lot of gigants balls as you enter the place, some nice pulzzes, and very good challenge for a first real dungeon

Desert Palace: it really gives you the feel of be in a ruins, its not the most impressive dungeon, but is good

Tower of Hera: love this, at this point lets see that in this game where added a lot of the concepts used in the next zelda games, falling to reach new places is really fun for a puzzle, and you even need to change the position of the holes

Dark Palace: this dungeon gives me a special feeling, after be transported to the world filled with darkness it really gives me a "dark" feel, I dunno, is like if you where claustrophobic and you were watching link running in a little place (yeah, I dont know how to describe it), I can remember very well the falling bridge-floor D:

Skull woods palace: very nice concept to go from overworld to dungeon, I got a little lost here, but it wont make me hate it :D, some good puzzles btw, sorry if I can remember, but you even have to move a full wall in this dungeon, right? O__o

Thieves town or gargoyle domain: it good, I got stuck with the "open the hole to let the light pass", some nice puzzles, and even without considering that is the third game, the dungeon in disguise was very cool, I think the concept is only used in TP

Swamp Ruins Palace: to have to go to the light world to open the pat to the palace was a nice detail, I really appreciate this palace because is the first water dungeon, and it gave the basic concept for all the next water dungeons, and it also have the hookshot :D

Ice Palace: the last time I played this, (not my first time playing the game) I got lost >.<, I dunno why, I dont wanna say it but its not like it use to happen to me in the zelda games, very nice dungeon with nice puzzles

Misery Mire: Nice dungeon, I dont have something special to say, well, one of the most notable puzzles is the now classic torches puzzle (oh, now I remember the wizrobes O.O)

Turtle rock: I cant forget its big cave style, some hard puzzles and hard enemies (damn you eye balls and laser Dx), it have very special things, I can remember the pipe sistem, the rails and the maze of the red and blue crystals

Ganon Tower: I have nothing to say... OMGISF***INGOSMOM O__o, by far the longest dungeon, with a lot of puzzles, A LOT, and it even have 3 returning bosses, the second agahnim battle, and (if you want to consider it part of it) the ganon battle at the end :O

Amazing game, epic, there is no word to describe it

Djinn

and Tonic
I thought the dungeons of LttP perfectly mixed puzzle solving and combat. While later games have gotten a little heavy on the puzzles with only one or two enemies in the room. LttP matched the action/adventure and gave you plenty to explore. It seemed that there were a few too many dungeons in OoT and TP that had one huge overall puzzle to solve while also having to unlock little things and opening doors or moving switches here and there only to eventually open or turn something on that leads the way to the boss. Far too much running back and forth, searching the same rooms over and over again hoping to find something I missed and climbing up and down walls looking for some hidden exit or lever. The enemies of the room only serve to be a minor hindrance to locating that magical little switch or blocking the way to a statue.

LttP did not appear to have this. No dungeon was itself a large scale puzzle complete with smaller puzzle rooms. The puzzles present were fun and did not frustrate. There were hidden switches and doors you had to locate but it did not require constant backtracking. And there were plenty of enemies in each room. Enough to leave me thinking that this was truly a monster infested place that made it a battle all the way through.

Plus I loved how vertical they were. Falling down a hole most of the time did not mean death. It would normally drop Link to the floor beneath. Sometimes a few floors down.

I liked all of them except for the 6th dungeon in the dark world. That one had so many ways you could venture about it. Otherwise, I thought they all are really easy, and well designed for the time.

Yes I remember that one. After my first time playing I would skip that one entirely and go defeat Misery Mire and then return to the Ice Palace with the cane of Somaria and make my own block.

Well i find them easy.
but ive been playing the game for bear 20 yrs since it came out for the snes.

The levels i find most annoying are the palace of darkness turtle rock and the forest level.

The forest dungeon is a bit too short though.
All the others take a bit of time to get through.
Particularly the ice dungeon.
Not so much hard,more a case of i cant find the way.
Although i do work it out in the end.

First time i played the game i found all the levels tough.
But i do think the levels look and sound wonderful.
I was blown away the first time i ever played it.
And near 20 yrs later i love it even more.

Some of the puzzles in the dungeons still catch me out though.
But the levels are beautifully designed in both worlds.
The game was a huge game for its time,in terms of how much was packed into it.

For me the greatest zelda game in the series.
It is just pure magic.
A game ill always love.
And as the yrs have passed i just love it more and more.

Love how there are two worlds light and dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom