• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Roots in the depths (Tears of the Kingdom stuff)

With my aversion to the dark, even as a 31 year old man, it’s been pretty difficult for me to explore the depths much at all. Then again, I also have a fear of heights. And one of generally giant creatures. So you can imagine how difficult it was for me to get all the collectibles in GTAV with fake pictures of a mega shark going around. It’s a wonder I made it through Maneater and that it was my favorite game that year…others like Subnautica, forget it. Even Outer Wilds gives me a similar sense of dread.

Getting my tangent out of the way, I finally started exploring the Depths after I did two dungeons. Little by little, I’ve just been dropping down and activating the first light Roots nearby the entrances and leaving again, only occasionally exploring a bit. Honestly most enemies are not too bad, just don’t get hit. Having friendly AI buds helps for sure.

Onto the actual theory part, what with these trees as well as a lot of the scenery down here, well, it kind of reminds me of a deep sea, especially with how the ceiling looks. That got me to thinking about how in Wind Waker, the Deku tree talked about how his Koroks would go and plant the seeds of trees that would help to raise Hyrule from beneath the ocean. There was even a whole sidequest to do with it. However a lot of people seem to disregard this entirely or don’t even know about it.

I really don’t have much to support this idea, just that it seems like an odd coincidence, and one I think would make the most sense. Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the split timeline, so the fact they’ve stated there’s a third just feels absurd, so much if my timeline ideas now have revolved around trying to reconcile a lot of these details.

If it weren’t for Niko still being alive in Spirit Tracks, I’d wager both BotW and TotK could be the start of the “new” Hyrule instead…as it stands, I’d say it’s likely so far after Zelda 2 that it’s had time to fall to ruin and then be reasteblished by the Zonai much later on. Even so, I still think that these roots are much the same as those Wind Waker’s Deku Tree told the Koroks to plant and bring up the old Hyrule, which may be how Zelda 2 got its town names and how there are still many connections to games much earlier like Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.

I don't think so. The lightroots are connected to the shrines of light and therefore are zonai in origin, not korok
I guess the question is which came first, the Lightroots or the Shrines? For my money, I would think that the light roots bloomed before the "seed" of the Shrines was produced. So who planted the lightroots? Maybe the Deku Tree. Maybe the Zonai. Maybe a collaboration.
If it weren’t for Niko still being alive in Spirit Tracks, I’d wager both BotW and TotK could be the start of the “new” Hyrule instead…as it stands, I’d say it’s likely so far after Zelda 2 that it’s had time to fall to ruin and then be reasteblished by the Zonai much later on. Even so, I still think that these roots are much the same as those Wind Waker’s Deku Tree told the Koroks to plant and bring up the old Hyrule, which may be how Zelda 2 got its town names and how there are still many connections to games much earlier like Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.
Having two Imprisoning Wars in the Downfall Timeline doesn't make much sense. Having a "founding of Hyrule," in the future, after a post-Rito, post-Korok Hyrule, held up by large-trunked roots, when there is no Imprisoning War in the Adult Timeline...makes more sense. Not saying that the whole theory is correct, but I think TotK Hyrule being an Adult Timeline Hyrule is more likely than a Downfall Timeline Hyrule, and the entire land being held up by roots would definitely line up with the Deku Tree's Plan.

There also the similarities between the Ancient Cistern, from SS, and the light roots/shrines. The lotus patterns. The connection to the depths. The purification that seems to be happening. While the root lifting does fit with the the idea of the new games happening after WW, I think there is a connection that goes even further back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom