• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Regrets

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I was thinking about regrets over the past and things you have done and wondered whether you guys have ever come to regret something.

I'm just curious because I was thinking about how different a person I am now than I was 2 or 3 years ago. I went through a phase of acting really dumb and to be honest, going through guys like you go through pairs of socks. In some ways I don't regret those things because I learned a lot about human beings, I think, from those experiences and I didn't end up in any majorly bad consequences because of stupid things I did. However, I also have mixed feelings because even now I meet people and I have somewhat of a reputation due to my past and I feel that it's held against me even though I have grown up a lot since then and aren't like that at all. It makes me kind of wish I could go back in time and change my behaviour so people wouldn't have this pre-conceived idea of me that I don't feel to be true.

Regret, of course, doesn't have to be on such a big scale. For example, you could regret going for that second slice of cake or regret making that stupid sarcastic comment you made that really upset someone even though you didn't mean it.

I wondered whether you guys have any regrets over things you've done and whether you would change something if you could go back in time?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I definitely have regrets. I regret quitting my job because I COULD HAVE made at least $700 over the summer and put that towards my college fun. I regret purchasing almost every game for my PlayStation 3. I regret buying my Circle Pad Pro - the thing is totally unsupported. I regret buying candy, and I regret my life really because of so many things. I regret liking this one girl because really that was supposed to be a social experiment, but I made this fantasy into a reality which hurt me in the end. ;p

I could go on but it'd be a life story and no one cares about that now do they? ;p

------
What makes me regret things isn't so much the act itself, rather where I'm at after the fact. Right now, I'm broke, have a bit of a social life, and jobless. I didn't mind being broke after buying those games - I had a job then. I didn't mind liking the girl because I was in school and still chill. I didn't mind having ****ed up teeth because I didn't have even a semblance of a social life. :/

Last edited:

pkfroce

Skelepuns
I regret playing Zelda II because after playing it and dying so many times I threw my GameCube controller (I have the collectors edition.) at the TV and cracked the screen. I got yelled at and slapped a lot.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I try to live without regrets. I can't say I regret much, if anything. Perhaps the only thing I'd change if I had the chance was being shy and keeping to myself growing up. As a child, my mom worked long hours and I stayed, by myself, at my aunt's - that is, there were no other kids around. I wasn't social as a child at all. I didn't have a "typical" childhood due to that and other circumstances in my life, but I've grown into someone who greatly values her friends and socializing as much as I value myself and my alone time. I like to think that all of my decisions have made me who I am today and I am very strong for that. Who knows? Maybe if I were very social from a young age, I'd be doing drugs and neglecting my schoolwork. Or being otherwise irresponsible and getting into trouble.

Sometimes, short term, I regret saying certain things or admitting my feelings to people. Some find it incredibly difficult to talk about their feelings; it comes pretty easy to me, but still, other people aren't used to that and they don't always react ideally. During the aftermaths of these situations, I would find myself regretting saying anything at all. I know now that I've become very mentally and emotionally strong while dealing with loss, rejection, anger - basically things all adolescents and young adults go through.

My actions have shaped who I am today and I will never, while thinking rationally, regret taking action. I would regret hesitating or not taking action, which is why I do my best to be decisive and trust myself. Everyone is bound to fail every now and again, so what's the point of regretting the actions you took to get there? How we deal with failure is part of what makes us good people. Even though I might say that I'd like to change something, should the opportunity present itself, I wouldn't.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't regret much, really, no. I don't have any major regrets in life. I've regretted stuff like not getting the sticky toffee pudding from Cafe 21 because the cheese cake was horrible, and getting the medium instead of the small in my new Topshop shirt, and saying "Sure, 1 more glass of wine won't hurt" quite a few times, but, there's no major thing in life I regret. I try to just make the best of things, so, I'm sure others would regret certain things but I certainly don't. I've been in bad situations a lot but I just make the most of it and work to make it better. I wasn't the type to whine I had no money and yet do nothing about it. I just got a job and curbed my spending so I did have money. :P Fixes aren't always easy but, so is life.

It's quite nice to live without regrets. I think of things I'd do differently if I had my time again, big things like not moving down to Cardiff for the while I did, but, looking back like that I don't think helps breed happiness. Instead, look ahead to good times or the chance of better times! :)

bunny

birb overlord
I pretty sure everyone has at least one regret. Me? I have too many to count. I regret little, unimportant things, and I of course regret big, fat, huge mess ups that I just can't seem to stop making. I always try to tell myself that I learned important lessons through those choices and mistakes, which is true, but sometimes I can't help but feel like I should've done it differently. In the end, I guess I'm glad those things happen because if they hadn't I wouldn't be the person I am today.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I regret a lot of things. They still hide in the back of my brain and randomly come out to make me upset. I don't want to go back and change these things though. I don't know how different things would be if I went back and changed these things. I just get bothered by these things, but more bothered by thinking of how it would be if things went differently.

A lot of things that I regret are times that I made a fool out of myself. My many obsessions (especially that one), that poem, spamming, doing stupid stuff in front of my class. Most of my regrets are stuff I did on this forum, but there are some from real life. Some forum stuff even lead to embarrassment and regrets in real life though.

I fell much more mature now, but I can't help but be upset when I look at my past. I was so stupid an childish. I still kind of am, but it isn't as bad as it was months ago. Oh well, the people who don't like me because of that can just not like me. People who look past that stuff are people I appreciate though.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
too many to count. my most recent regret is drinking a bottle of old crow before having to perform musically. i got on stage, started the first song, forgot the words, forgot how to play it, then i stopped the song, handed the guitar i was using to my friend, apologized to everyone in there for wasting their time and went to drink some water. its almost a shame i didn't blackout.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
despite all that I have gone though and being pushed down and thrown out, broken and rebuilt, broken and rebuilt and broken again. I have no regrets at all.. i messed up things that changed life for me as i knew it a shook up how i looked at my self. but they were such lessons that needed to be learned. I needed to learn how i wanted to be treated by men. I needed to learn what it is in life that i needed and some times that the one thing that i wanted most in life are not the things that are in our best interests. and sometimes our greatest losses can be our greatest gains..
so no. i don't regret what happened to me or things that i have done in life ever.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well there's "big" regrets and "little" regrets - the latter being the more regular ones etc.

Little regrets are a common occurrence and they can affect me or not affect me at all, depends on the situation and the consequences. I'm a bit of a risk taker and I tend to to go with my heart/gut more than my head, which can lead to rash and sometimes bad decisions, which I may or may not regret later.

Big regrets are a pain in my opinion, sometimes I can look past or sometimes I can't. I like the motto of not looking back or living life without consequences, but it's not that simple. I have made bad decisions, I have missed opportunities and I will sometimes think "what if?", as I'm sure many do. However, I won't sit there and linger on these thoughts, I'll try and take my mind off and do something about it. I'm not one of those people to let regrets get in my way. Sure I may regret things and they may bother me but I'll try my best to overlook them and attempt to move past them, no matter how hard.

There's a ton of individual decisions and actions throughout my life that I regret. From stupid things I did as a kid that were harmless but embarrassing to think about now (I regret putting on a dress as a little kid), to little mistakes that caused me problems at the time (I regret that time I moved too fast down wet stairs while moving bags of store-bought dirt and getting driven to the hospital from the resulting fall injury), to major screw-ups that have burned bridges (I regret multiple altercations with friends in real life as well as during my many years on message boards). Everyone messes up in their life. It's unavoidable, and it will happen to you. A lot.

But while I regret a lot of things, I also pretty much regret nothing. While these were all mistakes, they've all helped to shape and define me, and when it comes down to it I'm not all that dissatisfied with who I am right now. We learn more from our failures than we do from our successes; you can only learn so much from a victory. I've grown as a person through my many mistakes, and I appreciate the wisdom those mistakes have granted me. If I were given the option to go back and redo things... I don't think I'd change anything.

Of course there are exceptions to this kind of mentality. There are mistakes big enough that you can't say they were something that shouldn't be undone if you were somehow magically given that opportunity, and that you didn't learn off sufficiently to justify them. Life-shattering stuff or horrible things done to other people, mainly. I can't think of anything like that in my past. Even then though, while one might regret these things (and should), dwelling on that regret is useless. If it's so bad, then do something to fix it or make certain you do better in the future and take that with you as a conviction. Regret is not an emotion anyone should dwell on, because it only damages them and potentially those around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom