• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommended Book for All Us Techy/Gamer/Nerds

Din Akera

Sniper
I have a book for all of you that I highly recommend. When it was first recommended to me I screwed up my nose and shook my head at the librarian. He insisted and told me I would love it. The phrase he used was 'just read the first 3 pages'. I reluctantly agreed and I haven't been able to put it down.

It is called 'Little Brother' by Cory Doctrow. It is about a 17 year old high school computer kid who find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and ends up a victim of the Department of Homeland Security. After this event (which is right at the beginning of the book) he decides that this the government is out of control and commits himself to take down the government using his hacking and technology skills. The story itself is focused on the later part.

The author must have some fairly advanced knowledge on the technology front and the political front. He explains everything. I literally can't put it down and I'm almost done now. As I said before, I highly recommend it to you all. I think you will really enjoy it. i'll say to you what the librarian said to me. Just read the first three pages. If you don't like it, put it back. :) Happy reading!!

Ice Sage

these are words
I'll see if the school library has it tomorow. I'm not sure if they check out books as early as the first day of school. The book sounds very interesting.

octorok74

TETTAC
I had to read that book for my book club. It was very well written and I really injoyed it. I think it factually portrays the defense system we have here in America, kind of sad actually.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
I've read it already. I totally agree, that is was fascinating, and very interesting. I think i'll go re-read it now. . . *sigh* I so have to get my BF to read it. He keeps going on about how it's a kids book and he doesn't care for the author. . . What the heck is WRONG WITH YOU??!!! But yeah, it's prtty awsome. *starts a class on how to hack computers and networking devices*

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Sounds interesting. I'll go search my school's library as well as my town's library for the book. :yes:

Ice Sage

these are words
The High School dosen't have it... I'll have to go to the public library when I am able to go there again.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I'll read it. The book's not in my school library, so I'll just look for it in the public library. I look forward to reading it.
*goes onto website to put book on hold*
*book is on hold*
Done.

I'm definitely going to have to look into it. Another book about computers and such: Daemon. Amazing read. Takes about three chapters to get going, but it's good once it does. Definitely suggest it to you guys. I mean, this isn't just one guy taking out the government. This is about a guy that invents a program (called a daemon) that comes to life once his death is posted online. It takes action, and starts to assemble large groups of people in the virtual world: hackers, gamers, and everything in between. It pays them to do it, 'leveling' them up to higher rankings in it's 'army'. It becomes all powerful, and one security guard stands against it. Look into it. You won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom