• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommend to me a book

Misty

Ronin
Some really obviously perfect fantasy choices:

The Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Really, in the Pantheon of Fantasy writers, they're Gods.
The Elenium and Tamuli Series - David Eddings. He actually writes knights and paladins as smart, interesting, and still good characters. It would be hard to find better fantasy novels than these anywhere. His other works are also good, just these were the best of the best.
The Dragon Riders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey. Really fun and fast reads. She's a giant of the field for a reason. Well worth reading even if it's just to be an achievements whore.

Some really great Sci-Fi Choices:

The Space Trilogy - C.S. Lewis. A very compelling and imaginative work. Saying much else would give it away.
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury. Relevant, well-written sci-fi that performs the job of sci-fi perfectly.
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley. If you want to be a really good doomsayer, ****lord. You read Huxley because then you can alternate "what is this 1984" and bitterly saying "it's a brave new world".
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy - Douglas Adams. Seriously, entirely funny, a great send up of science fiction, and thrilling.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava

The Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Really, in the Pantheon of Fantasy writers, they're Gods.
The Elenium and Tamuli Series - David Eddings. He actually writes knights and paladins as smart, interesting, and still good characters. It would be hard to find better fantasy novels than these anywhere. His other works are also good, just these were the best of the best.
The Dragon Riders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey. Really fun and fast reads. She's a giant of the field for a reason. Well worth reading even if it's just to be an achievements whore.

The Space Trilogy - C.S. Lewis. A very compelling and imaginative work. Saying much else would give it away.
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury. Relevant, well-written sci-fi that performs the job of sci-fi perfectly.
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley. If you want to be a really good doomsayer, ****lord. You read Huxley because then you can alternate "what is this 1984" and bitterly saying "it's a brave new world".
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy - Douglas Adams. Seriously, entirely funny, a great send up of science fiction, and thrilling.

I've heard good things about the Hitchhikers guide is it worth it?

Misty

Ronin
I've heard good things about the Hitchhikers guide is it worth it?

Absolutely. It's a work of genius particularly comically speaking. The laugh until your sides are sore variety. It's just so much fun and so good at subtle and absurd observation. I highly recommend it to anyone. My father read it to me when I was like seven and it was so funny and engaging even to a little girl. I read it again more recently, and I found it witty, clever, and strangely engaged with the human condition despite the apparent absurdity of the situations and characters.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Absolutely. It's a work of genius particularly comically speaking. The laugh until your sides are sore variety. It's just so much fun and so good at subtle and absurd observation. I highly recommend it to anyone. My father read it to me when I was like seven and it was so funny and engaging even to a little girl. I read it again more recently, and I found it witty, clever, and strangely engaged with the human condition despite the apparent absurdity of the situations and characters.

Hitchhiker's Guide has been on my to-read list for a looong time... too long. I really should just nut up and, you know? read it.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly

That's a lot of tantalizing offers... It's so confusing keeping all these epic fantasy series in order. If I had thought about it any harder I might have noticed that Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragon Riders of Pern are separate series >.>

You can't swing a backpack in a fantasy section without hitting dozens of those books. I wouldn't recommend that though because then the librarians have to ask you to leave~

Misty

Ronin
Hitchhiker's Guide has been on my to-read list for a looong time... too long. I really should just nut up and, you know? read it.

You won't regret it. It's such a charming and clever read. As strange as it sounds, it's perfect toilet reading because it's so schizophrenic that even if you only read a bit every day you don't really have a deeply knit plot to lose out on. So even if you read it alongside another book it works.

That's a lot of tantalizing offers... It's so confusing keeping all these epic fantasy series in order. If I had thought about it any harder I might have noticed that Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragon Riders of Pern are separate series >.>

Yeah. I confused a lot of librarians in my day when I'd ask if books I'd put on hold were in.

You can't swing a backpack in a fantasy section without hitting dozens of those books. I wouldn't recommend that though because then the librarians have to ask you to leave~

If you go to the library every day, you'll find the Librarians start letting you do almost anything you want including swing back packs. They like having young-non-homeless people in the place. Not that anything is wrong with old folk or homeless folk...just they like having fresh, sheltered youth coming in for books on the regular.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Have we mentioned a series of unfortunate events?? I've not read it but its been strongly recommended to me

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Have we mentioned a series of unfortunate events?? I've not read it but its been strongly recommended to me

A Series of Unfortunate Events is a great series, and I would definitely recommend it. The writing style is pretty unique which makes the books so much fun to read. Lemony Snicket is absolutely hilarious and does a great job of making the books enjoyable for children and adults. I read the series from elementary to high school, and my appreciation of it only grew with age.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Okay so I finally got around to perusing this thread, googling the contents and narrowing my choices down. Thanks again, ere'one!! Hopefully this has given other prospective book hunters some good suggestions to go on.

Oh btw I figure it's all well I should return the favor.

In Scifi, I recommend the Tour of the Merrimack series by R. M. Meluch, a Military Science Fiction very reminiscent of Star Trek albeit less philosophical and more militant. Strong interesting characters, sharp pace, witty dialog and some unique science fiction concepts. It's Americans vs. Romans in space. Yes, Romans which is as cool as it sounds. There's even a cyborg roman just in case that wasn't awesome enough. Also a really compelling carnivorous galaxy threatening species in the Hive. Readers may be turned off by how the narrative portrays future America as pretty much the only competent nation on the planet and a pseudo-futuristic EU as woefully incompetent. For as interesting as the cast of characters are some of them can be boiled down to cartoons. Captain John Farragut is basically a caricature of James T. Kirk (who is himself a caricature of living caricature William Shatner :P) which you may or may not find awesome depending on how well you can suspend your disbelief.

In Fantasy I recommend The Lotus War series by Jay Kristoff, a brilliantly illustrated fantasy steampunk feudal japan with descriptions so brilliant they'll make you wretch - and that's a good effect given the themes of the story. Mildly uninteresting characters undermine an engrossing plot and some of the best world building I've read this side of Tolkien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom