• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Random Drawing Contest Week 7

Random Drawing Contest Week 7

• Random Person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xinnamin

• Adam

• nicktheslayer

• zeldanoob15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Main Theme : The Legend of Zelda Series
Sub Theme : Ocarina of Time meets Majora's Mask

Random Person
gorons.png

Xinnamin
OoT-meets-MM.jpg

Adam

ottmeetsmm.png

nicktheslayer

Contest1.jpg

zeldanoob15

entry2h.png

Whoo! What a week! We've finally breached the "three entries" record! Voting ends in four days.

Week 8 Main Theme : Ocarina of Time
Sub Theme : Boss Fight

Entries are due midnight of 1/16/11.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I really liked Xinnamin's and Adam's since they both capture the theme very good... but I have to vote for Xinnamin's because once again, I was captured by the art style.

Yea, hehe...

I originally had a lot more planned for this entry, but the second half got messed up. The first have looked better, but there wasnt much of a joke. I just hoped the art looked nice... >.>

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I ended up voting for Adam. As FD said, it was just such great use of the subtheme. The fairies' dialogue would have been enough to make me laugh, but then Link having to deal with that instead of Ganondorf w/Majora's Mask in the background was just icing on the cake.

RP, I'm still learning the technical side myself, but I can see you improving on the coloring and shading, so good job there.

Xinn...what can I say. Adorable. :)

Nick, I think I remember one of your earlier entries (unless I've got my wires crossed and I'm thinking of someone entirely different.) I like that yours was comic style and the coloring is nice.

Zeldanoob - really nice work on the Ocarina there! The picture strikes me as an artistic interpretation of the events of MM's prologue. Was there a particular scene you were thinking of, or am I off base on that interpretation?

All in all, great entries this week!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Random Person - You already know so don't even ask.

Xinnamin - AGH! It isn't fair! I want to vote for mine really badly, but I can't because you're Zelda is just too freaking cute. I seem to have a weakness against cute and Zelda and you put them both in one pic. Why oh why can I not vote for the manly picture? Xin, yours gets my vote :kawaii:

Adam - Your art style seems a little... too exact for me. Almost as though some parts of it were traced or copied. That style of art is what is keeping me from voting for yours. Also, Link scares me looking like that. Nice job though.

nicktheslayer - Not a lot of humor like the others. Also, I would recommend some shading.

zeldanoob15 - You already know too.

Adam

Undefeated
I voted for Nick's - I just had to laugh! In the second picture Link's like: "Well. So. Now what...?" Ha ha ha. He probably would have stopped the whole game Majora's Mask from happening! Problem solved! XD Also props to you for achieving such a nice image and that all without digital media, as the only non-digital entry in the contest.

Random Person's image is my second favorite - I love how clean-cut and fine the lines are. Good colors, clear, clean image. The best in my opinion as far as technique goes. They would have a great time together, too. Finally Link doesn't have to get slapped around by someone 5 times his size. :D

Xinnamin's is cute, and I like the bright colors and shapes that form the background. The rough, sketchy lines are not my taste, but that is a personal thing, I criticize my own work for being too roughly sketched. But I love the blended colors on his tail, this really looks like fur! Nicely "rendered". P.S. I want a tablet too... ^^

Zeldanoob's comes in at the end of my list for two reasons, the first being what February Eve already mentioned: that it's like the prologue scene of Majora's Mask, which sort of misses the topic, although nicely drawn. The second reason is the thematic: The main focus of the image is this large and beautifully painted ocarina of time in a mystical, sparkling darkness, but then a very small, dark deku link, which you only notice after you've finished admiring the ocarina. (And one you're looking closely, he kind of looks like he's pissed at the ocarina and wants to throw a rock at it. heheh, see it?)

Self-critique: The part that worked out best for me is the moon, the colors worked out exactly how I wanted. Link came out too long and skinny, (he's an asparagus!) and apparently his arms are rubber because there is no clear bone structure. o_O The colors on Gano are rushed and not very detailed. (I got really lazy at the end -and ended up shamelessly stealing the background.) The speech bubbles' tails aren't white, either. Ah, the little things you notice afterwards. It seems all-in-all unfinished to me. The opposite of Random Person's picture. (I probably should have voted for RP's, as much as I'm praising it... :hmm:)

To the process: I sketched this in ball point pen on some really soft paper, which turned out like this:

scn0001small.png

I scanned it and began coloring with the sky, then the moon, ganondorf and then Link. I also changed the text to be more "double-meaning"-ish. The clock tower in the final version is the real one from the game, I just copied it in there from a screenshot cause I was too lazy to paint any more.

Kybyrian

Xinnamin and Adam's are both very well done. Both really capture the theme and are great, even humorous. Personally I think Adam's is a bit better, but both are very well-done pieces.

Z

ZeldaNoob15

Zeldanoob - really nice work on the Ocarina there! The picture strikes me as an artistic interpretation of the events of MM's prologue. Was there a particular scene you were thinking of, or am I off base on that interpretation?

Um...honestly I went off of a straight whim here. I have NO idea what "MM's prologue" is. Ive never seen anything like this before. This came straight from my imagination. I mean...I am a Noob after all and have VERY limited knowledge of this topic. I guess that just means I think like the creators?? Hehehe!

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Great to see that the contests are growing, nice entries! My vote went to Xin since her's was well drawn, simple, and cute as always :3 I liked Adams too, in fact, I think I like the lineart version better than the colored...I would have entered myself, but to be honest, I didn't have many ideas for this one, meh >.<

Question, RP: Does next week's contest apply to any boss battle in OoT?

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I gotta say, i'm in favor with Xinnamin's art. The style just captures my eye, and it's very cute and charming!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Question, RP: Does next week's contest apply to any boss battle in OoT?

By boss battle I mean draw a pic representing a battle Link had with one of the bosses which include the three main bosses he fought as a child, the six he fought as an adult and Ganondorf. NOT MINI BOSSES!

Oh, and you can include that weird hands guy from the bottom of the well if you want.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Um...honestly I went off of a straight whim here. I have NO idea what "MM's prologue" is. Ive never seen anything like this before. This came straight from my imagination. I mean...I am a Noob after all and have VERY limited knowledge of this topic. I guess that just means I think like the creators?? Hehehe!

I just meant the opening cut scenes...there's not a specific scene in there that looks exactly like your art, but the style just reminds me of the overall mood and atmosphere. It's nice either way - I was just curious. :)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Okay, finally found time to comment. Really glad there are so many entries this week, loving the diversity :>

Random Person: You are definitely improving and it really shows. Those gorons look awesome, and it's an amusing image to boot. I also really like how you duplicated the shape of the gorons to make their shadows, however you're missing a proper light source. This is especially noticeable in the goron on the left, where the shadow indicates a light source to the right but the shading indicates a light source to the upper left for the most part. Pay attention to where the light is coming from to make the shading more consistent, but otherwise it's fantastic.

Adam: Wow, I love the amount of detail put into that. The lineart is fantastic, especially with Ganondorf, and the colors are amazing. However, the picture as a whole seems a bit too crowded, like there's too much going on. Also, the fairies look a bit too messy. You can tell I'm all for the sketchy and loose sort of lineart style, it's just something about the fairies is a bit too scribbly. It works great everywhere else though.

Nick: I love how you're always making comics instead of a singular drawing. It makes it a lot more interesting to look at. The simplicity of the whole thing adds a sort of pleasant charm, and the fact that it's traditional colored pencil just adds to that. A few more details wouldn't hurt though, maybe a message on the sign or something, with simple styles the little things make a lot of difference.

Zeldanoob: Very interesting, it definitely reminds me of the MM atmosphere of playing around with the mind and senses. The Ocarina looks fantastic too. I think for all the attention given to the Ocarina and the clean look of the background, Deku Link could have used a bit more attention, as parts of the brown and green seem to blur into each other. Also, maybe a bit more tie-in to OoT to fit the theme better, as the Ocarina was also in MM and so there's nothing OoT exclusive in the picture.

All in all, I'm going to vote for Adam. The lineart is fantastic, and I've always been jealous of people who could hatch shade like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom