• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Button Holding Myth - Is It True?

Austin

Austin
I'm sure most of us have heard that if you hold or repeatedly press a certain button while throwing a Pokeball, the Pokemon is more likely to be captured. Is this actually true or just a myth?

Personally I think its just a myth, but I still do it today. When I was 6, maybe?, I was told it was hold down on the D-Pad and A at the same time when the Poke ball hit the Pokemon

Kazumi

chagy
Unfortunately it's just a myth. But I still do it anyway. Ever since my friend told me that if you hold down on the D-Pad and B you can catch Pokemon really easy in Pokemon Gold. And my other friend said that he used to trick to help him catch Mewtwo in Blue, so he obviously got really lucky.

But ever since then, I have carried the tradition up through the generations. Literally. Ever since Gold I've been using that trick. It's to bad it doesn't really work.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I was told hold B and press Up on the D-Pad repeatedly as the pokeball hit the pokemon and keep doing it until it was captured.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
:lol: When I was younger I used to hold down every button on the gameboy, thinking it would give me a better catch rate. Unfortunately, I found out that if you press all the buttons at once, the gameboy resets. :silent:

:lol: When I was younger I used to hold down every button on the gameboy, thinking it would give me a better catch rate. Unfortunately, I found out that if you press all the buttons at once, the gameboy resets. :silent:

LOL.

Yeah I used to think pressing B rapidly helps the catch-rate.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, I used to have superstitions for catching Pokemon. In the Hoenn games, I rapidly tapped A, in the Gen I remakes I pressed the d pad in the opposite direction the Pokeball would turn to, in the Sinnoh games I'd do the same, but in HG/SS I didn't use anything. In all the previous games, the tricks I used made catching healthy Pokemon easier, but I didn't use it in HG/SS and it made catching them much harder without weakening them first (IE I could use an Ultra Ball on a healthy lvl 3 Ledyba and it wouldn't catch it!).

EDIT FOR enemytracker: Actually, you can get more exp by holding L... that is, if you have an action replay.

Last edited:

enemytracker

無情な
Inside my personal pot, killing some bugs.
The pokéball catching rate was like a master ball for me when I press A and it wont catch anything when you press B... But it didn't work for the legendaries... So that was just my super luck plus its obviously a myth. -.- (I've heard that you can get more EXP by just pressing L)

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Unfortunately it's just a myth. But I still do it anyway. Ever since my friend told me that if you hold down on the D-Pad and B you can catch Pokemon really easy in Pokemon Gold. And my other friend said that he used to trick to help him catch Mewtwo in Blue, so he obviously got really lucky.

But ever since then, I have carried the tradition up through the generations. Literally. Ever since Gold I've been using that trick. It's to bad it doesn't really work.

I've been using that same trick since i was in grade 1-2 when i heard that pressing down + b would help you catch pokemon, and now that im playing these new pokemon games i find im still using that technique... I think I even remember a Nintendo power magazine that did a small article on the subject. It was called The Code Cop and he would clear up untrue rumors about different games. I think in the issue he had heard that the trick was either down + a or down + b but that it was indeed just a rumor.

I managed to capture a mewtwo using ultraballs (over 50 of them), this trick, sleep attacks and i had to get him down to a blip of health lol it was intense but i owe part of that capture to this trick even if it doesn't help you at all it was still a part of the process, ya know?

Generally, no. The button holding myth is nothing more than a fallacy. It sometimes works many times in a row, but it always spontaneousley stops working. I just tap A rapidly because I want the battle to end. But surprisingly, it often always catches the Pokemon.

Mute

一員
Although I know it's just a myth, I still do it just for the sake of it. It's become a habit over time, it seems. Oh, and my version of it was to hold down + B until the pokeball clicks closed, then press and hold B. Although, I eventually just went with tapping B instead, now I do it different ways depending on which way my fingers decide they want to press it.

Kind of odd how something like that just becomes part of your habits even though you know it's not true.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
It probaly is just a myth, but I do it anyway. I heard it helped you catch Pokemon when I got Shaphire. My habits have gotten worse. In Diamond I started pressing the screen, and now the worst is in Soul Silver I go completly mad and try to press all the buttons and the screen. Who knows, Whats next, am I going to use the Konami Code?

Kybyrian

Surprisingly, I have never heard of this, despite being the big Pokemon nerd that I am. It's just a myth of course, though. No gimmicks that can help you catch Pokemon... just a giant equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom