• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

People Want "Mature" Zelda, We Already Have One!

Garo

Boy Wonder
I tend to think that most people who say "I want a Mature Zelda" have no idea what they are talking about. When they say that, what they really want is God of War - but God of War is not Zelda, and Zelda is not God of War.

I think the reason for this is that Zelda is a staple of today's gaming generation's childhood. There is, however, a division: those deluded enough to think that they can only enjoy adult games now, and those who understand that it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the games. The former group wants to play Zelda out of a nostalgic desire in the pit of their stomach, but they can't bring themselves to play a "kid's game", so they ask for a "Mature" Zelda - i.e., God of War. But then they'll complain that it isn't what they remember, since they have essentially changed the entire spirit of the series.

To make a long post shorter, it's my opinion that people who say "I want a mature Zelda" are really saying "I want to play Zelda but don't want people to think I play kid's games".

Zelda is already plenty "mature" in a way that kids won't fully grasp, like the ending hours of Majora's Mask as you mentioned. That didn't have the same impact on me as a kid that it does now.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I have to agree with all of you who have said that it depends on definition. If "mature" means deeper story, complex puzzles etc. like in MM, then that's OK and we really already have it. But if you just go after the rating then I also think that Zelda shouldn't move in that direction. It could turn out well but it could also be a complete failure, we simply cannot tell because no such game has ever been made. So yeah, I personally don't need a very graphic Zelda game but I'd probably still play it.
On the other hand, I don't want Zelda to try too hard just to be kid-friendly (imagine for example a Winnie the Pooh setting) with ridiculously easy puzzles and a bland storyline just so that every 5 year old understands the game and can beat it on first try.
But I think that neither of the two extremes will happen and that in the end, while constantly changing over time, Zelda will stay true to itself.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
For mature, I want harder puzzles and perhaps 3 swords in each game. 1 weak starter, Master Sword/Sword that kills antagonist/Biggoron Sword, great fairy sword.

And those masks from MM 8D

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Even though I've never played Majora's Mask, you do bring up some good points that we already have a "mature" Zelda. Though, the reason why people complain that there aren't any mature Zelda without any blood, gore, violence, etc. is because Nintendo tends to aim for younger audience in their games. If I can recall correctly, they usually have E ratings and appeal to a family-friendly audience. I admit, I want a step up from these family friendly games and a more deep and darker Zelda with some twists that make it unique and “different” from popular games such as Call of Duty or Halo but I really do not want to see a gory, bloody game that educates the player on different types of gun or grenades like Call of Duty does. It ruins the renaissance feel that each Legend of Zelda game gives off.

But it all depends on the definition of “mature.” To me, a mature Legend of Zelda game would be one that appeals to a teenage audience (without the blood and violence) with some darker tones to the plot, but still gives off that same feel that a Legend of Zelda game always has – a timeless, ancient feel. Majora’s Mask was very dark (from what I heard; I never played Majora’s Mask) and Twilight Princess could use a little work on the overall dark “feel” (still on Arbiter's Grounds) but I really want to see this darker, more mature feel to future Legend of Zelda games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Mature in video game terminology generally means violence (believable violence), blood+gore, and language. Nudity is just a "plus".

Usually (and by usually, I mean what I myself read probably not the general public) when someone says they want a mature Zelda, they DON'T want it to be realistic as well as have 'serious' thoughts about them. For example, destroying the world is a generic, childish term because ANYONE can destroy the world by any means (OoT with Ganondorf). Now, destroying a kingdom and trying to kill everyone you see is 'mature' (TP with Zant and mystery man). That's a way to make a game more mature, by adding the depth and feeling to the game. MM does it perfectly with all the connections you make between the characters and what happens during the final hours. And that IS a mature Zelda, but not mature with what the general public wants. What the people want is just the believable violence, gore/blood, language, and nudity. It gives the player a sense that they are cool because they play those games, not because it adds anything to the game. Believe me about that, I've seen it more than enough time to tell that the video game 'mature' doesn't do anything but give people egos.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Those people should try playing other games like Darksiders, it's an alternative to Zelda but it still holds up really well, even though it copies Zelda in many ways. It's rated mature and has lots of blood and gore, the only thing it's missing are towns and villages. Or even Shadow of the Colossus, that game is quite mature and is praised for it's epicness. When it comes to Zelda the stories have always held back from being outright violent. There is a general lack of blood and much of the main quest can be whimsical. I would suggest going to other franchises to quench your thirst for blood and let Zelda satisfy your sense of exploration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom