• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Paperback Vs. Hardcover.

What do you think is better for reading, paperback or hardcover?

• Paperback

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Hardcover

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Simple question, when it comes to reading, do you prefer paperback or hardcover?

For general purpose reading, paperback takes the cake for me. If it's a nice hardcover, I feel guilty of it taking some wear and tear as I read, as I often read on the go. I've always felt paperback for serious reading, hardcovers for displaying on your bookshelf.

But that's me, what do you all think?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
i mainly go for paperbacks but i have kindle as well....cuz if i have a hardback its awkwards to read properly....

Think I'm inclined to say hardback even for reading. I usually am afraid to open paperback books all the way in fear of breaking their spine, so I can't say it's that comfortable holding them, especially if I'm toward the front and back of the books. Hardbacks can be awkward to hold, especially because I have tiny hands, but I can worry less about damage to the cover.

That said, slip covers always come off while I'm reading a hardback book. They're for the shelf only.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm a hardcover guy, mainly for the aesthetic and durability. It just looks a lot nicer on a shelf and feels more premium. But I do have a couple of paperbacks myself and I do admit it's a lot more comfortable to hold and easier to read.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'll get hardcover if available; but if not, paperback will have to do.
Paperback may be cheaper, but hardcover is just better in every other way

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I like paperback for casual reading & because most are much cheaper & I don't feel bad about it getting roughed up. I'll only get hardcover for books I want to also display, but those are fairly rare due to what I buy. Otherwise, I only get hardcover for art books, though a lot of my Japanese imports only come in paperback for some reason, but they're limited print so that might be why. Hardcover tends to be too heavy for me to hold without hurting my wrists over time, or they're too glossy & I dislike how quickly they get worn at the corners. Also not a fan of paper sleeves on those... they slip, get in the way & more often than not they will leave ink marks on my fingers if I hold them too long? I can't be bothered to take them off every time if I am reading it, & leaving them off is usually ugly & then I gotta find somewhere to leave that sleeve while I'm reading. Eh. Paperback for me.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I like paperback for casual reading & because most are much cheaper & I don't feel bad about it getting roughed up. I'll only get hardcover for books I want to also display, but those are fairly rare due to what I buy. Otherwise, I only get hardcover for art books, though a lot of my Japanese imports only come in paperback for some reason, but they're limited print so that might be why. Hardcover tends to be too heavy for me to hold without hurting my wrists over time, or they're too glossy & I dislike how quickly they get worn at the corners. Also not a fan of paper sleeves on those... they slip, get in the way & more often than not they will leave ink marks on my fingers if I hold them too long? I can't be bothered to take them off every time if I am reading it, & leaving them off is usually ugly & then I gotta find somewhere to leave that sleeve while I'm reading. Eh. Paperback for me.
Same, in all regards.

Also, if you do a lot of reading at night before bed, hardcovers just ain't as comfy as a good paperback for holding and reading while chilling and laying down.

Then again, growing up, I was the kid with all the books on his bed, that just continued into adulthood with like, stacks of books on my nightstand, lol.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Same, in all regards.

Also, if you do a lot of reading at night before bed, hardcovers just ain't as comfy as a good paperback for holding and reading while chilling and laying down.

Then again, growing up, I was the kid with all the books on his bed, that just continued into adulthood with like, stacks of books on my nightstand, lol.
I don't, ahaha. I used to be that kid, but now reading in bed just keeps me awake because I either have to have the lamp on, or just the act of it keeps me too alert because of training myself to stay up late to read academic books for college. Reading a book is just a "work" activity in my brain these days, I don't know why. Comes from having to intensely analyze stuff all the time, I guess. It's hard to read a book & NOT do that even if I am not going to write a paper on it. So it's very hard to read for pleasure due to that & a combo of ADHD just making it impossible to absorb it if I can't get into a very intense focus for "work". Yet, playing on my 3DS I instantly get sleepy if I play in bed. Not the same on my phone, where I stay alert like that "work" mode for reading. It's weird!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've always preferred paperback. It's lighter and just feels more manipulable for something to hold in your hands and read, if that makes sense. Also, hardcover paper covers never stay on, ever. I usually take them off immediately and all the cover art and stuff goes with it, so it's like, what's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom