• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Opinions on Cloverfield

Cloverfield, the first person monster movie and brainchild of JJ Abrams was a film I enjoyed. It is rich in theory (which is all too rare for movies to have) and had a lot of potential for sequels (which so far havent come) But while I enjoyed it, there were a few nonsensical moments and moments in general that took me out of the film to process the unlikely course of action the characters and plot were undertaking... it was odd to say the least and stopped me from being able to call the film a great one rather than an enjoyable one...

So, while i'm thinking about this film i'd like to get your opinions on it, did you like it, did you not?
Do you want to see sequels to it or not?

Do you have any theories on what the sequels could be/what the monster is or was and where it came from etc?

have fun.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Am no film expert but I do have to say I did actually enjoy this film on a different level.

It was the old sci-fi/action genre which in my opinion is in fact a dying genre due to the big foucs on action scenes and little story and how flashy the film is Etc. This film however had a twist as it was shot from a 1st person perspective.

Now this isn't something unique and we have seen this feature used a lot today and may I say it has been overused due to the success of films like the Blair Witch Project. However I enjoyed the way the first person perspective was used in this film, it made the film feel more realistic like you were actually living through the apocalyptic moment, this film is one of 3 that I have enjoyed in recent times that have used 1st person perspectives to good effect (the others being Rec 1&2)

There was just something about this film that made it unique to the other big sci fi films, for one the apocalyptic scenes actually felt surprising realistic amd the acting complemented this imo. The action scenes in this film were also utilised very well and it didn't over do it like many films tend to do nowadays. This film is definitely a strange one but I would say that it is definitely one to watch and I think the fact that it was very subtle for an action/sci fi film payed off big time. So I would love to see a sequel as long as it keeps the theme of what made the original a really good film.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm I did enjoy the movie and especially when you watch the end and see what actually happened before the events. But there were a lot of things unanswered. The action was good and the movie looks real but it was a bit over the top.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I thought it was painful to watch. I mean, like literally physically painful. Glad I didn't see it on the big screen (not that i would have) or I'd of spent the evening throwing up. I am not particularly vulnerable to motion sickness but I am susceptible to it. It was bad enough watching it in my living room.

Really the whole thing was built on the gimmicky camera perspective. If I wanted that I'd just break out my Dad's old VHS home recordings. Why would a professional movie producer want his film to look so amateur? You couldn't even see the SFX with all the spastic flailing about the camera does, and I don't even ever remember seeing full sight of whatever was attacking people. The plot was trite and nonsensical, the characterization completely nonexistent and I don't even remember them explaining even WTF was going on beyond lots of extras running around and screaming for their lives while things go bang and boom.

In short, a poor way to tell a "story". Or rather a poor way to show a film.

U

UnknownArtist

My memory of this movie is a bit foggy. However, I do remember that it was severely underrated, and it was bashed for reasons that seemed more bias than anything. I remember people bashing it because it had a shaky camera, and I was like "no ****: they are running from a freaking dinosaur alien dragon thing. They should be completely calm, and focus on the quality of the film". It was realistic to me, and it made me feel like I was in the action.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I am not particularly a fan of first-person movies, however this film made good use of the technique. I am a bit hazy on the movie entirely but remember what was important.

The beginning was a little slow, as most movies in this form are. We didn't get much of an introduction on the characters. They all had little to none personality. But realistically-wise, this movie did pretty well. The reactions of the characters. The SFX were alright, at least with the low budget this movie had. I have to say my favorite part was when the recorded over tape was shown throughout the film. And then show the origin of the beast thing in the end if you pay attention closely at the water. So we can assume it is of alien origin.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I saw it a couple of years ago. The action was slow in coming, but then it comes and I remember being glued to the screen wanting to know what happened next. It was an alright movie, and if there was a sequel I'd sure like to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom