• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OPINIONS: Is Music Becoming an Overused Part of Gameplay?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
It's definitely a huge part of the game and I would like to continue to see it.
I always thought that the music was always one of the important parts of the Zelda games since
the makers didn't want to have 'songs' but only music. As well as how Link doesn't talk.

(Link's voice revealed, now THAT I would be disappointed to see. Everyone has their own expectations of it. *off topic*)

I think something new and fresher would be nice, but I think the melody's and instruments really make the game complete.

Link Talking:
[video=youtube;FPxY8lpYAUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM[/video]

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i think music is too important to the Zelda series to discard, i will admit that the Harp in SS is very dissappointing, but its gotta stay. i would just be happy if they went back to the flute from OoT, cuz you could actually play it, not to mention all the videos on the internet of people playin popular songs on it useing the game!

if they would go back to that, where you were actually playing what you hear. i would be happy!

Music in itself is a integral part of the series. I really just think that the *having* to play it as part of the plot or to continue has become almost expected. If we went back to playing instruments like in OoT/MM it would be enjoyable, or as was earlier stated, make it almost completely optional. Especially if it's fun and intuitive to play.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
Eh, I thought it was decent, but rather underwhelming. The harp was intended to be an accompaniment instrument, and it did serve that role, but it did it rather poorly.

The controls for the harp were rather screwy as was the spirit flute in spirit tracks. I did not like having to blow in the microphone.

So I'm not opposed to musical instruments so much as I am for the controls for some of them. The controls for the ocarina worked well.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'd enjoy it again if it wasn't as annoying/pointless as in SS. You only ever need to use it to awaken statues/walls, open gates, and get a heart piece. Not particularly useful.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Hmm, tough question.

I don't think the music element has been overused. I believe that the great music found in a Zelda game just makes it that much better. That being said, if there wasn't a musical instrument in the next Zelda game, I wouldn't be disappointed. In my opinion, I felt that the harp in Skyward Sword could have been executed a bit better. I wish we would have been able to play actual notes, not just strum (though I'm not sure how that would work). I haven't played the Wind Waker yet, though I did love how the ocarina was implemented in Ocarina of Time. Certain songs in OoT were needed to get past areas, but the instrument wasn't in constant use. I never got sick of playing the ocarina.

So basically, if there is an instrument in the next Zelda installment, sweet. If there isn't, that's ok. There is still plenty of great music found in the game, regardless of whether there is an a particular instrument in it or not. I just can't wait to hear what new compositions they come up with next. :)

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
NONONONO KEEP THE USE OF MAGIC IN ZELDA. I want instruments and songs with different purposes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with music being a key part in a Zelda game, the soundtracks are a massively important part to me anyways.

The most recent instrument, the harp, was a disappointment. It could only be used to play songs in specific spots and instances that called for songs to be played, and the song you play is already chosen for you. plus there are no notes. I want instruments to be like the Ocarina in OoT. That is a perfect role model. The harp's shining triumph in SS however was the duet with Kina... I love that part :)

L

Linkinator

I actualy think its quite good - i like cause it introduces another puzzle element (but sometimes makes too complicated) but the puzzle element was largly what originally drew me to zelda because it was the best of an adventure game and a puzzle slover - somthing few other games succeed at

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd rather it be kept on the low end like TP and SS. Constantly using it like we did in OoT, MM, and tWW was just unnecessary.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I think if they're going to use a musical instrument, they'd better make it useful. I loved the use of ocarina in both OoT and MM, and even the baton in WW. But the harp in SS felt extremely forced, and really wasn't used for anything other than a few story points, and an annoying minigame (also those walls, but that's still not much of anything.)

The ocarina did so much. It changed the time of day, made it rain, let you talk to Saria, heal/calm spirits, move blocks, teleport, call your horse, and more. The baton did quite a bit too, with commanding allies, teleporting and changing the time of day as well.

I don't think music is becoming over used. I can really only say that it was a necessity in MM, OoT OoX and WW, the rest didn't really have an effect and were just used when needed like SS's harp and in TP you didnt have to go for the hidden skills and howling stones. Most of the time music in Zelda if it is included at all is just to be used like an item in specific places at specific times like SS's harp, you didnt really need to use it anywhere else aside from one sidequest and to open the silent realms, making it more of a key than an instrument.

In OoT though we used the Ocarina for a lot of things that were optional, we could get hints from Saria and or Navi whenever we liked, we could summon Epona if we wanted to, turn time to night or day, call forth a storm and warp if we were feeling lazy. And in MM we played the Ocarina in conjunction to how you played the game, some people never slow time down because theyre so good at it and the impatient may just speed it up, we don't get a lot of the musical side in many other Zelda games that were as deep as OoT and MM and WW to a lesser extent so I'd like to see it come back in that kind of way, because right now i don't think it is overused at all or even used well outside of the three games i mentioned.

Great points for and against music instruments in the games.

I would like to add another bit to this conversation: What would be your ideal use of music in the next game(s)?

For me it would have to be the earlier stated idea of a mostly unused instrument, storywise, that can be used to entertain, assist or summon NODs.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see an instrument that can be used in real time as a full-blown variable weapons system. Strip defenses, paralyze, confuse, summon, burn, freeze, phase shift... make it the central piece of a AoL-style magic system that gives you temporarily increased powers.

I would like to add another bit to this conversation: What would be your ideal use of music in the next game(s)?

In future games, as far as music is concerned, I wan't to see a lot more optional tools related to the instrument itself, for example, OoT's way of summoning tips from Saria, summoning epona and different methods of playing akin to Majora's Mask.

The different ways of playing the game is something id be particularly interested in. In MM we could speed up, slow down and reverse time at will, even outside of the ticking clock scenario of MM, the ability to play a Zelda game how you want is something that'd give the game a personal touch and a whole lot of freedom, the possibilities could be endless depending upon the type of game that this would be implemented in. Like all instruments and music the music in Zelda should be an element with a personal touch to bring your own elements of flare and personality to the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom