• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Open Overworld

geek4887

The Unknown
The DS games were pretty much the most linear games, despite what was said about Twilight Princess(AWESOME GAME!!!). Here's where my question comes in. The DS games were pretty much on the low end of Zelda quality games, and that's because it was too linear. If Nintendo made it so that you could get off the vehicle like in Wind Waker, allowing you to explore the vastness of what would've been a HUGE overworld, do you think it would make the DS games more popular among the Zelda community? Or will the NDS cartridge not be able to hold that much content in it?

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
it'd make it less boring for everyone who dosen't like riding on boats. but if your in the ocean or something like that how are you going to get around without it? there could be a smaller boat for exploration purposes, you could sail it into places that the regular one couldn't go. for spirit tracks, there could be areas you got off the train and went around like a normal overworld. DS cartridges can hold a fair amount so it should be possible.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The NDS game card can hold approximately up to 256MB worth of data. PH and ST to my knowledge use 32MB-64MB which is basically 1/4 of 256MB. I doubt that they would be able to handle getting off the boat simply because the NDS isn't that strong of a system, but it is possible I suppose. Would it make PH/ST well liked by the Zelda community? Probably so, we won't know unless it happens! :xd:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The NDS game card can hold approximately up to 256MB worth of data. PH and ST to my knowledge use 32MB-64MB which is basically 1/4 of 256MB. I doubt that they would be able to handle getting off the boat simply because the NDS isn't that strong of a system, but it is possible I suppose. Would it make PH/ST well liked by the Zelda community? Probably so, we won't know unless it happens! :xd:

If, however, they used the full 256MB of it, the game would be slower than Link with the Magic Armor on with no rupees in Twilight Princess. This gives it more RAM to use.

However, I think what would have made the DS games more popular would be for those of us who hated the control scheme to have a separate one in the options for classic handhelds. Or even just let us customize it. Just not what Nintendo did!

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Well, I thought the train gave enough of an open feel in Spirit Tracks, especially when you could open new tracks with the force gems. The boat is a different matter, because I don't really see a need to let you get off when you want. Those are just my opinions, though.

I mean, I did misss the ability to get off the vehicle in Wind Waker, but in the long run, I don't really see how Phantom Hourglass could have improved because of it. I was convinced that the reason people didn't like PH was because of the repetition and the comparatively bland soundtrack (which are complaints I happen to agree with) but I actually liked the way the game handled the boat travel. I thought it fit better for a portable feel, even though I can see many finding the sailing tedious just like with WW. (that's probably to be expected)

As for Spirit Tracks, I don't know why that one is claimed by some people to be regarded lowly. My guess is that it's because of how similar it was to PH, like a corrected version of sorts. Maybe that description doesn't give it enough credit, though, as it did a lot differently. It could have also been because of the train, which I didn't mind, but that's just me.

That said, if future portable games had more open overworlds, that would most likely be a good thing, I think.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I disagree and think that Spirit Tracks is one of the best Zelda games and I didn't feel that it was too linear; look at how many sidequests and various other towns to check out! I thought the sailing in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass was boring (more so in WW; the ocean was just TOO BIG!!!) but I found the train very interesting! There were may more enemies, spicing things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom