• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oot at Risk

sort of

super mario galaxy 2 got a perfect score on edge, 4 more 98+ scores and itll beat the ocarina of times number 1 spot on gamerankings.

although im sure more reviews will pull the games score down laste, but for now, its in a tight position.

personally i want super mario galaxy 2 to do really well, but not beat ocarina of time.
not to be a fanboy or anything but is just that the ocarina of times held that spot for so long and i actually think it deserves it and dont think any other game can match that wow factor (not even zelda wii)

just my opinion

I'm sorry, but I don't support the whole "held it for a long time" thing. I find it as just a way for people to keep it up there. Yes, OoT has held that title for a long time, but I think its time for a new game to take that title. I would actually really like SMG2, or any other game in that matter, to surpass OoT. It had its glory, time for something else.

DayDreamer

Wahoo!
I have to agree with pocket on this one. Oot is really awesome dont get me wrong,but it is kinda sad in a way if you think about it. The game was made in the n64 days and there hasn't been a title since to beat it. Is this just mere awesomeness from the legend of zelda or can nintendo not make a game better than one 10+ years ago. Though I am more of a zelda fan than mario,I do think that mario galaxy deserves its spot in the spotlight. after that? Well then zelda can kick its butt again with a better game XD

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Not that I follow game rankings, but I think something should do beat it at some point. As much of a 'OMG, it's been there so long, I don't want to lose it' person as I am, it would be time to see some change. Of course, in my opinion, many games have surpassed OoT.
I really like OoT, but this is kind of ridiculous...

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I don't really care about how high a game ranks, but isnt it better that a game replaces OoT up there? It proves that we are getting better games. Games that have great stories, graphics etc...

If OoT was stuck up there forever, that would mean that OoT was the best game ever, and no other matched to it. This would mean after OoT. Games were useless and no game makers ever lived up to its expectations.

@Y2K- I agree. I have seen a few that have surpassed OoT as well.

Just a note, but for those of you out there who belive it...OoT is not the best game ever, it is not the best in the world.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
OoT's had the title long enough, and to be perfectly blunt, it's definitely not that great, especially compared to many of the newer games out these days. Yeah, for it's day it was very good (I never agreed with the score it got), but it's been over 10 years, and to still believe that a game hasn't surpassed it in that much time is just.... just... fanboyism.

Do you REALLY want OoT to be the game that today's games aspire to? So much more can be done now- why focus on the past? We want games to get BETTER, not to be stuck in one place. Gamers need to move forward. Personally, I thought SMG blew MANY games away, and I'm sure the new one is going to be all sorts of crazy awesomesauce. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it took the spot seeing as the first was so innovate, full of life, puzzling, and everything a game SHOULD be.

Forgive me if I sound a little aggressive about it, but I think it's time to kick OoT (and those who've clung to it for the past decade) off its pedestal and let the gaming world move on to bigger and better things.

Have we all forgotten about other famous games that need surpassings? Like Super Mario Bros 3? Granted, I'm the only living thing that doesn't enjoy Super Mario Bros 3, but still, considering how good the original Galaxy was (I'm doing this according to ScrewAttack), chances are Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't be able to surpass either SMB3 or OoT. Really though, I agree with Pocket Asian. OoT has been way too popular for way too long.

I don't really care. OoT's held the spot for a long time. Nothing stands at the top forever, so it's kinda silly to cling to it IMO.

I haven't yet played Super Mario Galaxy 2 (lolduh) so I can't decide yet on whether I think it deserves to be up there with or surpass OoT, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it did. In some ways I think the first Galaxy was capable of that. And for the record, I OoT is not my favorite game, so while I understand why it's there because of how influential it was, I kinda think MM deserves it a bit more. But meh, doesn't really matter.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, I think it's high time for OoT to stop shining. Seriously, people who cling to OoT as the best game ever and that nothing will ever surpass it are just plain sad.

Granted it has an insane nostalgia effect for the people who lined up outside stores and rushed in to get it, but OoT's actually had too much spotlight if you ask me. Fanboys need to blow up the God Pedestal on which they place OoT and let every game live up to it's full potential, be it to compliment or surpass that master piece.

Is it great? Heck yeah, it's Nintendo made Zelda for crying out loud! Is it the best game ever? No, it isn't. I've played plenty of games that I think are just as good if not better than OoT (SMG, NSMBW, Pokemon SS/HG, Pokemon R/S, and Zelda ST for example are all games that have surpassed it).

It's great to go back and reminisce on the past by playing retro games, but do you seriously want a single game to be the best you've ever played and the best you ever will play? I think it's sad that people worship OoT so much they look at new games and go "Feh, it's not OoT so for all I care that thing can burn in a fire". Seriously, if you were so flabbergasted by how great one game is, wouldn't you want an even greater game, or are you just that stuck up?

I'm wondering why we even care.

There's going to be those that cling to it no matter what, and those that hate it no matter what. If Mario Galaxy 2 passes it, fine. Someone tell me why I should care about what someone else thinks when it comes to the best game ever, because the individual's opinion is all that matters on the subject.

And to be blunt, nothing anyone ever says is really going to matter to me when it comes to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom