• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Not Having to Win Every Battle

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Random thought...you know how if you lose against a trainer, you have to keep battling them until you win before they let you pass? Well this isn't entirely realistic, so what if you didn't have to win every battle? You would still have to win against gym leaders/elites and certain others(evil team leaders, possibly rivals)to progress, and you would still lose money and be sent to the pokemon center if you lose. If you wanted a rematch against a trainer that beat you, you would talk to them, but they won't force you into a battle when you're in their line of sight. Their pokemon's levels won't be adjusted, only when you beat them will they have higher levels if you use the vs seeker/match call/etc.

This very likely won't be one of the features of X and Y, but what do you think of it? I think it would add some realism to the games that's already seen in the anime/mangas. Ash doesn't win every battle, and the trainers that defeat him don't stand around and wait for him to come back. They continue onward. I stopped watching the anime ages ago but I know that much. Only difference is in the games, the trainers wouldn't leave, they would stay in their spot so you can rematch them if you want.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they should do something about forcing you to battle people. Realistically it is rude to walk up to someone and challenge them to a Pokémon Battle when you probably need to get somewhere. Although I do see why this is done, I think we should be given the choice to challenge them to show respect for each other. I guess we'd probably get nowhere without these trainer battles, but the way it's done at the moment is really disrespectful.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I wouldn't mind seeing this aspect appear in a future title. Even though the Pokémon franchise isn't entirely realistic, incorporating more realistic concepts into upcoming installments really couldn't hurt the series. In fact, I see it as a beneficial factor that most players would enjoy.

bunny

birb overlord
It's a neat idea, and I probably wouldn't mind it, but I think I prefer having to bet the trainer before passing, that way my Pokemon gain exp points. I think the best solution would be to give the player a choice of whether or not they want to battle. I doubt it will happen though because of the whole "when trainers' eyes meet, they have to battle and blahblahblah." It's still a good thought, though.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I do like this concept. However, most people would probably forget to rematch them, and therefore lose plenty of precious experience points. There are already tons of skippable trainers, which already makes it hard to train up if you only fight the required ones.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I like the idea, but I feel that it would make Pokemon easier than it already is. I mean, Pokemon is easy. Challenge isn't so bad, so the idea would kind of ruin things.

patrickthe8

The Last Onion Knight
Asking for a battle/rematch does seem like a better idea. After all, if you win you don`t have to stand around waiting for the trainer to rematch you.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This has already been done, kind of.

Liquid Crystal did something similar. For instance, in one part of the game, you'd fight one of your friends in a battle, and then your rival would instantly run and battle you after that. But when your last Pokemon got taken down to 1hp, he'd withdraw his Pokemon, call you weak, and leave the battle. And you don't need to go back and fight him again, that was a one-time thing. And instances like that happen quite a few times through the course of the game. I know one fight with Axel, after you go through a big, scary cave, if you lose, he'll say "That wasn't too fair was it, let your Pokemon rest..." or along those lines, heal you, then you battle again at full HP. Stuff like that really was great.

So, I would love it to become a standard! Cos it worked really well. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Honestly, I think they should get rid of the idea of mandatory trainer battles in the first place (besides gym leaders, of course). The whole concept of trainers HAVING to battle if they "lock eyes with each other" is one of the few things I've never understood about the series, even as a kid. Trainer battles should only be initiated if YOU WANT THEM to be. They shouldn't be forced on us like wild Pokemon encounters.

It also makes even less sense that just being spotted by another trainer in the games somehow qualifies locking eyes with them. Um... lolwut? I was just walking by you without making eye contact, yet we somehow managed to lock eyes? :facepalm:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Honestly, I think they should get rid of the idea of mandatory trainer battles in the first place (besides gym leaders, of course). The whole concept of trainers HAVING to battle if they "lock eyes with each other" is one of the few things I've never understood about the series, even as a kid. Trainer battles should only be initiated if YOU WANT THEM to be. They shouldn't be forced on us like wild Pokemon encounters.

But then, a lot of people would skip the battles, thinking they're just a waste of time, and then they would have trouble against the gym leaders. The point of the trainer battles is to train. A newbie to the franchise would not know to talk to the trainers to initiate a battle (I talk to everyone, but there are people who don't), meaning they would lose a lot of potential experience; experience that would be useful in the gym battles.

I see where you are getting at, as I too find so many battles to be a bit annoying, but some at least should be mandatory, just to encourage players to battle people and gain experience

Well maybe they should walk up to you but then give you the option to battle, that would be alot more appropriate. However They should make a somewhat harsh remark if you don't battle them like for example: "Are you serious?! You will never get win if you don't train your Pokémon!" or " Ah I see, you're too weak to battle me, that makes alot more sense now!" Something like that in order to persuade people to battle them.

The only time where you should be forced to battle against another is when you encounter the evil organization, it only makes sense as they are evil after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom