• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

EXTREMELY happy!!!! for each zelda game, i imagine what link (and other characters) sounds like for myself. if they added voice acting, then that fun factor would be gone for me. also, theres a good chance that if they added voice acting, it would be BAD voice acting! *cough* resident evil *cough*

Um, I have experienced it before. The do the CD-i games and Zelda cartoon ring a bell? I'm not afraid of change, I'm afraid of a bad change. Like I said, some video games are suited for voice acting. The Legend of Zelda is not. And, yes, I know that that's just my own opinion, but like I said, it's an opinion shared by the majority, including the developers themselves.

Hahahaha, CDi and cartoon. Sorry, the CDi games weren't even made by Nintendo, and Nintendo certainly didn't oversee the full development and process of the cartoon. No one has experienced Zelda voice acting, including you.

Ah, just afraid of a bad change. Just cross apply my argument from before that you have no idea whether the implementation would result in it being bad. You also cannot say that the Zelda series is not fit for voice acting, as you've never experienced it.

And yes, I'm fully aware that it's your opinion. I'm also fully aware that many share it, but there's not strength in numbers here, sorry. Critiquing the developers is what we do, hence why we don't take everything they say, especially when it comes to the unknown, as pure unbiased fact.

I see no other argument except "It would probably be a bad thing, because I feel it in my gut."

One thing I hate about modern games is their lack of allowing you to imagine what the characters are like. Giving them a voice, just takes away one more element that you can dream about...

I say leave all dialogue as text as it has been and let the gamer decide if the character has a big deep raspy voice or a bright sweet cheery one.

Hahahaha, CDi and cartoon. Sorry, the CDi games weren't even made by Nintendo, and Nintendo certainly didn't oversee the full development and process of the cartoon. No one has experienced Zelda voice acting, including you.

Ah, just afraid of a bad change. Just cross apply my argument from before that you have no idea whether the implementation would result in it being bad. You also cannot say that the Zelda series is not fit for voice acting, as you've never experienced it.

And yes, I'm fully aware that it's your opinion. I'm also fully aware that many share it, but there's not strength in numbers here, sorry. Critiquing the developers is what we do, hence why we don't take everything they say, especially when it comes to the unknown, as pure unbiased fact.

I see no other argument except "It would probably be a bad thing, because I feel it in my gut."
I'm aware that the Zelda works which include voice acting weren't done by Nintendo and were poorly executed, but even if the voice acting was done well, it just wouldn't feel right. Yeah, I know you won't accept that as a valid argument, but it's just how it is. Certain characters may be able to pull of voice acting quite well, such as Zelda, but hearing characters like Link or Ganondorf talk in full sentences would feel very awkward. Zelda is just a franchise that's better left silent.

And no, I am most certainly not afraid of change. I fully welcome the addition of voice acting in the upcoming Metroid: Other M, because that particular franchise is well suited for voice acting. Zelda, on the other hand, is not. It's not alone in that category, either. Look at Mario, for example. Sure, Mario says quite a few phrases here and there, but can you honestly picture a Mario game with full voice acting? It doesn't matter whether it's a traditional platforming Mario game, an RPG, or a sports spin-off, it just isn't right for Mario. It can be okay in moderation, such as Mario's common phrases or Peach's read aloud letters, but that's about it. It could possibly work well in Zelda, too, so long as it's used in moderation like that. Twilight Princess pulled it off quite nicely with Midna, albeit in an incomprehensible language.

ZeldaMaster

Lightning Farron
In my opinon I think it would be stupid to have voice acting people would pay more attention to the voices and not the quest personally it takes away the old Zelda feeling :(

I'm aware that the Zelda works which include voice acting weren't done by Nintendo and were poorly executed, but even if the voice acting was done well, it just wouldn't feel right. Yeah, I know you won't accept that as a valid argument, but it's just how it is. Certain characters may be able to pull of voice acting quite well, such as Zelda, but hearing characters like Link or Ganondorf talk in full sentences would feel very awkward. Zelda is just a franchise that's better left silent.

You sound like you know what Zelda voice acting would feel like. How it would work, how it would impact the gameplay/story, how it would impact the game as a whole; you don't. You simply cannot tell me that Zelda isn't "fit" for it. But let's assume I humor you for a second; I fully believe in your standards for voice acting. What exactly makes a series "fit" for voice acting? You mention Metroid down below (which I'll address in a moment). How does it qualify for voice acting, while Zelda doesn't? Both have never had it before, so why is Metroid so different? My point is that you're simple scared of the unknown, which is fear of change. And because it's unknown, you can't form an accurate opinion about it.

And no, I am most certainly not afraid of change. I fully welcome the addition of voice acting in the upcoming Metroid: Other M, because that particular franchise is well suited for voice acting. Zelda, on the other hand, is not. It's not alone in that category, either. Look at Mario, for example. Sure, Mario says quite a few phrases here and there, but can you honestly picture a Mario game with full voice acting? It doesn't matter whether it's a traditional platforming Mario game, an RPG, or a sports spin-off, it just isn't right for Mario. It can be okay in moderation, such as Mario's common phrases or Peach's read aloud letters, but that's about it. It could possibly work well in Zelda, too, so long as it's used in moderation like that. Twilight Princess pulled it off quite nicely with Midna, albeit in an incomprehensible language.

I'll reiterate my point about how Metroid qualifies, but Mario and Zelda don't. Just give me your standards for a moment, because I'm completely confused. The rest of that paragraph is just about Mario and how "bits and pieces" of voice acting has been present. Why doesn't Mario qualify? This ties into the point with Metroid above. Is it just because it wouldn't "feel" right? Because that's a point that seems to come up quite often. No real reason, it just wouldn't "feel" right.

He was voiced during his wish. That was probably the most I've heard of voice-acting in the series, but would hate to have it continue like it was in that cutscene. Not that Eiji Maruyama was bad at it, but I would just rather not have it voiced as much as the simple yelps from Link and such...
*YouTubes it*

I had forgotten about that. Well, hearing it now, I don't understand how you can call that voice-acting. If that was problematic, than so should Jabun in the same game and Midna from TP. Did you have problems with those too, or do you think perhaps this was just your irritation with this one moment? Also keep in mind full voice-acting would be very different.

Unfortunately, yeah, that does seem to be a little of what this is coming down to. Tyeforce, perhaps you could explain to us a bit of logical conclusion in support of your statements?

I'm aware that the Zelda works which include voice acting weren't done by Nintendo and were poorly executed, but even if the voice acting was done well, it just wouldn't feel right.
Well, it's just that you were using it as an example of knowing what Zelda voice-acting would be like, and Ver was saying that it would be nothing like that. ;)

It can be okay in moderation, such as Mario's common phrases or Peach's read aloud letters, but that's about it. It could possibly work well in Zelda, too, so long as it's used in moderation like that. Twilight Princess pulled it off quite nicely with Midna, albeit in an incomprehensible language.
Thing is, I don't think anyone is talking about every single moment of the game being fully spoken. Some limitations to the voice-acting are almost inevitable. Mostly, they'll likely be restricted to cutscenes, and even then they're likely to be attached to normal text dialogue. Let me use Mega Man X8's voice-acting as an example of it being "attached" to text:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguvnU7u2nw&feature=search

B

BlueCresentMoon

i would have been good to have voice acting one at least one Zelda game

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I am happy that there is no voice acting in SS, because VA kinda made Super Mario Sunshine a little less fun, but I am going to be REALLY upset if they take out Link's "AHH!" or "OUGH!" sounds.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I wouldn't say that I'm happy, but I'm not disappointed either. It really didn't matter to me if they included it or not. I know, because it is Zelda, it would be top notch if it were there and I would welcome it, but I'm so used to the text boxes and their little sound effects that they don't bother me in the least. So, to hear SS definitely won't have voice acting didn't make me think much other than "ok, now I know what to expect", which would have been the same reaction if they had changed over to voice acting.

This isn't to say that I never want voice acting, it's just that as long as it's Zelda, and the people responsible for it love it as much as I do I know whatever direction they take it in is correct for the time. I'm content either way, and I'll be no happier or more disappointed with SS when I boot it up to hear just music and sound effects, and not a single voice beyond what we normally hear.

Im fine with it, but Happy would be an exxageration. This is how it's always been in Zelda, and I think this is how it will stay.

S

Sakuravision

I'm glad they didn't do voice acting, I don't think The Legend of Zelda is ready for voice acting yet. Maybe in the future but not now.

kinda both.there are some games like i think some metroid games that i heard did it really well.maybe if they did this and wouldnt have to delay it id be just fine with voice acting for probably another game.maybe just that once i dont like voice acting but i think theyll probably try it some day which is good cause we might as well try it once right?

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Well it would if nice if SS would have VO's but most likely they are going to keep text box style. The good side to this is less production time so we dont have to wait. The bad side, if we all knew what would be taking it so long with VO line most would not have any problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom