• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Bolded Words In SS

You know what i hate?
When they BOLD all the important clues in the dialogue. It basically gives everything you need to do away.
Who's with me? Do you want BOLDED words in SS?

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
I'm not cracy about them, when I read the dialogue it feels like they're putting random emphasis though I doubt they'd put emphasis on the words if we heard them talking, if that made sense. But otherwise it doesn't bother me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hope they don't have bolded words, because they are ALWAYS used in the WRONG place. "The FOREST TEMPLE is located in the FOREST." is an example that fits that bill. REMOVE THE BOLDED WORDS, PLEASE?

T

Twich

It's a bit of an annoyance, and to be honest Nintendo. If any one can't put together the fact that the Forest Temple is located in the Forest without bolded words then clearly they shouldn't be playing video games. Ergo knock it off, your bolded words are used on the most obvious puzzles rather then the cryptic ones.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
YES YES YES. No more bolded words.... or better yet, the option to turn them off!
The amount of times having a bolded word turns a moderately-difficult piece of exploring into something so easy your nan could do it... Example, look at these two potential situations:

"Link, to access this dungeon you're going to need a new item. If I were you, I'd check the village and the graveyard for clues..."
"Link, to access this dungeon you're going to need a new item. If I were you, I'd check the village and the graveyard for clues..."

When text is bolded, your eyes are automatically drawn to it... which means you completely miss the red-herring details they sometimes put in to make things a little more challenging. In the example, with nothing bolded both the village and the graveyard seem of equal importance and so it's probably worth searching both, but when the word "graveyard" is bolded, you automatically know the item will be there so there's not much point looking in the village.
I mean, in some cases it can prove to be helpful when you really need a nudge in the right direction... that's especially true for newer or younger players... but for veterans it can get so tedious as it gives the game away time and again... and while they probably won't remove them all together, having the simple option to turn the darn things off would make a world of difference.

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
I think this is a good idea. Like what Northapple said, the bolded words are drawn to our eyes, and we get the information we need without having to figure that out. If there are no bolded words, we pretty much need to decipher the whole sentence to find that information out.

Such a little detail that could make me scratch my head in thought like this could be very enjoyable.

YES YES YES. No more bolded words.... or better yet, the option to turn them off!
The amount of times having a bolded word turns a moderately-difficult piece of exploring into something so easy your nan could do it... Example, look at these two potential situations:

To be honest, does it really make the game any easier? It's just as hard to search through the village and graveyard as it is just to search through one. It just saves time, so it's not really that much of a deal is it? o_O

To be honest, I don't really care if they include bolded words in Skyward Sword, it's not something that changes the game to much of an extent, just saves a little bit of time here and there. So I don't really see what the problem with the bolded words is. Infact, I don't remember seeing any bolded words in any of the Zelda games that I have played, although I wouldn't be surprised if they were in Phantom Hourglass.

If we were to see the sentence that wasn't in bold, then it wouldn't make us really think about where the item was. I'd just note down the possible locations and go check through each one, starting with the nearest one. It's kinda like in Twilight Princess when you have to find the missing section of the bridge to cross Kakrariko Gorge, Midna doesn't give a hint but it's just a matter of time. It didn't make the game any harder, just a little longer.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
To be honest, does it really make the game any easier? It's just as hard to search through the village and graveyard as it is just to search through one. It just saves time, so it's not really that much of a deal is it? o_O

To be honest, I don't really care if they include bolded words in Skyward Sword, it's not something that changes the game to much of an extent, just saves a little bit of time here and there. So I don't really see what the problem with the bolded words is. Infact, I don't remember seeing any bolded words in any of the Zelda games that I have played, although I wouldn't be surprised if they were in Phantom Hourglass.

It was just an example XD
And I know in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make much difference... but as Beeker said, especially in more cryptic dialogue, the lack of bolded words means you have to stop and think, even if it's just for a millisecond while you mentally string the most important words together yourself, and that small feeling of not being spoon fed every single detail can make things a bit more enjoyable... hence why they annoy me and why I think SS would be more fun without them ALL the TIME.
But I concede, they're not really that big of an issue by any means :D

Link1432

Most Uncreatively Named
I don't think that it'd be as annoying if they used it differently; bolding the place you have to go when you know you have to go there anyway is a little stupid, but if they just used it on important items and places, then it might be more effective. Something like:

Random NPC: Have you heard of an item called the Beetle? Rumors are it was hidden in a temple long ago.

or,

Random NPC: The next place you should go is the forest, where you will find the Forest Temple.

bds1110

Imp
I agree completely. Those constant little bold words just give everything away, and makes the game more mind-numbing. If you have, like NorthApple said, two things that are said and only one is bolded, that's pretty much saying, "Hey, Link, go to the graveyard." It may sounds strange, but these game would require more brain power if they took out the bold words, especially for younger children. I really want the bold words out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom