• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo's $60 Re-releases

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
used games and sales exist, and this thread is about you guys personally, I already know these games sell tons, unreasonable price or otherwise

That wasn't the point of my post at all and I already made that point anyway. I think the pricing is very justified given the reasons I've stated and I personally don't mind their pricing considering they're 10 dollars cheaper at Walmart anyway and my other options aren't exactly "better."

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think what a lot of people don't understand about Nintendo, especially when it comes to pricing, is that Nintendo games always hold their value. Because Nintendo has been around so long, many people are familiar and nostalgic for their franchises which is why Nintendo games go up in value in the aftermarket.

Nintendo also isn't in direct competition with anyone else which is why their first-party exclusives sell so well without dropping prices. If you're buying a Nintendo console, it's to play Nintendo games, which isn't exactly true about Playstation or Xbox and their exclusives that can't manage to sell nearly as well as Nintendo, even with price drops and console bundles because they have full third-party support, and even they can barely manage to sell like Nintendo unless they're Rockstar, FIFA, and Call of Duty.

Does it suck that they charge full retail price for games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Link's Awakening, and Skyward Sword HD? Of course, but what are your alternatives really? Buy it used for 5 dollars cheaper? Find it on an older console and save 15 bucks? 60 dollars is still the standard retail pricing for Nintendo, and Skyward Sword is still one of their triple A games and a new one for many and it will sell like one. Either buy it at Walmart for 10 dollars less, or get screwed. That's really anyone's 2 options so why wouldn't they charge full price?

Emulation, obviously. I've no plans to pay $60 for a port of a single decade old game with no changes outside of a higher resolution.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
That wasn't the point of my post at all and I already made that point anyway. I think the pricing is very justified given the reasons I've stated and I personally don't mind their pricing considering they're 10 dollars cheaper at Walmart anyway and my other options aren't exactly "better."
you can correct me if I'm wrong wasn't your point just explaining why they price the games the way they do? b/c I get all that and I was only responding to your all or nothing statement in the last paragraph

I don't love it, and I don't hate it. I've never played Skyward Sword, and I don't own a Wii U, so for me, this IS the cheaper alternative. I can get why people who own it already don't like it, but let's be honest, this port is more for people like me who don't have a way to play it. If you already have a game and a way to play it, it's not that much hassle to plug in an old system to your TV, unless you don't have a way to connect the old output to a modern display. Ports like these are an offer to new players, not to people who already have the game.

To people who already have a way to play the game, here's my advice. Don't buy Skyward Sword HD. They aren't changing much, and if the ability to play it on the go plus the button controls plus the upscaled graphics and framerate aren't worth a $60 upgrade, then don't buy it. You won't miss out on anything. This port is for people who really want to play Skyward Sword on Switch, but primarily for those who have never played it before. Nintendo isn't making you buy it. Yes, it's kind of sleazy to charge $60 dollars for a game that cost $50 when it came out, but it isn't the end of the world.

And to those of you who say "emulation looks so much better," just stop. Most people cannot afford and/or do not have the technical expertise to own a computer that is capable of emulation anywhere near the quality you are talking about, let alone know how to upscale the game themselves. For the VAST majority of people (including me) emulation is not a viable option. If you can, that's great for you, but for the rest of us, real consoles are our only serious option.

Lastly, I'm not defending Nintendo's decision to make the game that expensive, I'm just saying that I'm not offended by it, and neither should anyone else. It's annoying, but it's not a big deal.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
To people who already have a way to play the game, here's my advice. Don't buy Skyward Sword HD. They aren't changing much, and if the ability to play it on the go plus the button controls plus the upscaled graphics and framerate aren't worth a $60 upgrade, then don't buy it. You won't miss out on anything. This port is for people who really want to play Skyward Sword on Switch, but primarily for those who have never played it before. Nintendo isn't making you buy it. Yes, it's kind of sleazy to charge $60 dollars for a game that cost $50 when it came out, but it isn't the end of the world.
I couldn't disagree more
First of all need I remind everyone that we still don't know what the game is actually changing
Second of all, if you can afford to buy the skyward sword port, doing so is how you give nintendo feedback of "yes I want more of this"

If you dont want more of this then do it for me smile

Anyway it could end up actually changing a lot of the game, like even making ways to travel between regions on the ground! Who really knows!

Also 60 today is less money than 50 was back then I'm pretty sure, video games have no right being as cheap as they are and are somehow inflation-proof

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
you can correct me if I'm wrong wasn't your point just explaining why they price the games the way they do? b/c I get all that and I was only responding to your all or nothing statement in the last paragraph

It was to rationalize the price point, because I ultimately don't get what the big deal is when all is considered, which is why I made the point that it's likely the best option for the majority of consumers. I mentioned getting the game used, but let's be real, used games are hardly a bargain when they typically just drop 5 dollars off and the condition of the game, box art, and case varies. Going the Walmart route, if it's an option, is ultimately a better deal than getting it used. I also don't find many of the other options too viable or convenient to warrant an alternative decision over 60 dollars. People complain about games being too short and costing full retail price, but then they take issue with paying full retail price for a package of 3 15+ hour games or a 70+ hour game because they're remastered or not remastered enough, and then make false comparisons to justify their boycott.

The sales figures prove these lazy cash cow ports are selling really well on Switch.
Only an idiot would lower the price on something when the customers are willing to pay full price for them.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
It was to rationalize the price point, because I ultimately don't get what the big deal is when all is considered, which is why I made the point that it's likely the best option for the majority of consumers. I mentioned getting the game used, but let's be real, used games are hardly a bargain when they typically just drop 5 dollars off and the condition of the game, box art, and case varies. Going the Walmart route, if it's an option, is ultimately a better deal than getting it used. I also don't find many of the other options too viable or convenient to warrant an alternative decision over 60 dollars. People complain about games being too short and costing full retail price, but then they take issue with paying full retail price for a package of 3 15+ hour games or a 70+ hour game because they're remastered or not remastered enough, and then make false comparisons to justify their boycott.
it's been only 3 months since pikmin 3 and age of calamity came out, and both are hovering around $45 on ebay, so I don't get your $5 argument

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
it's been only 3 months since pikmin 3 and age of calamity came out, and both are hovering around $45 on ebay, so I don't get your $5 argument

I don't see any used copies of Age of Calamity going for $45. I see a bunch of starting prices hovering from $27 to $45 with bids going plus shipping. If you can get the game discounted and new on eBay, like I suggested with Walmart, then more power to you. Seems like even more a reason why the whining over $60 is so pointless.

Quin

Disaster Master
We all know Nintendo can get away with it, and that its the standard price point, and that they did this already before ect ect, but you have to be the biggest nintendrone to actually defend it. This is a forum, not a nintendo hugbox. People should be able to show their distaste for scummy practices like this here.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
They get away with it solely because the sales are there. We're to blame, not Nintendo.
Nintendo asked the question and we customers answered with a resounding "Yes we'll pay $60"

Leave it to gamers to cry about having to pay for things they want. It's like expecting 4K movies to cost less than blu-rays because "I already bought it 10 years ago." You either want the damn thing and are gonna find a way to get it, or you can keep calling everyone sheep as if tons of new consumers aren't the ones justifying the price by purchasing the game for the first time regardless of whatever ethics and morals someone wants to have over a video game they regret buying a decade ago.

Quin

Disaster Master
Thats basically what I mean by getting away with it, because people keep buying it.
I wouldn't put the blame 100% on the consumer though, its also a bit on Nintendo for caving in. Nintendo knows for ages now that there are enough people out there that buy every turd they put out. Its the last few years I feel they are kinda slacking a bit too much.

And to those of you who say "emulation looks so much better," just stop. Most people cannot afford and/or do not have the technical expertise to own a computer that is capable of emulation anywhere near the quality you are talking about, let alone know how to upscale the game themselves. For the VAST majority of people (including me) emulation is not a viable option. If you can, that's great for you, but for the rest of us, real consoles are our only serious option.
Kinda bull****. Most decent computers/laptop can run Dolphin just fine if they want. And up scaling is literally just a slider in the emulator. You don't need to learn much at all to emulate a game to be better than the console version.
If you wanna stay ignorant to it or hate emulation for different reasons thats fine and all, but don't pretend.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I don't see any used copies of Age of Calamity going for $45. I see a bunch of starting prices hovering from $27 to $45 with bids going plus shipping. If you can get the game discounted and new on eBay, like I suggested with Walmart, then more power to you. Seems like even more a reason why the whining over $60 is so pointless.
then I don't know what to tell you since I saw quite a few of them being buy it now
and yes, I already acknowledged that whining is pointless, I was only addressing how you said the consumer just has 2 options

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom