• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo's $60 Re-releases

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Basically all of Nintendo's remakes and ports have been full price, from DK Tropical Freeze to Link's Awakening remake. There's tons of examples and it's clear nothing's going to change that. So my question is, have you guys accepted this and gotten some of these re-releases at full price or do you always wait out for price drops/getting it used?

I only made exceptions for Xenoblade DE and Pikmin 3, but everything else? Heck no. Then again I don't like buying brand new games in general but I certainly don't like doing it for a re-release. I'm fine just waiting to get it used.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I won't be getting SSHD at that price and don't buy a lot of first party releases unless they interest me. $60 in general is steep for a ported game that releases with no new content. While SSHD has a number of quality of life improvements, essentially going through it again doesn't appeal to me because it has nothing new to offer. I've seen a number of people jokingly post pictures of Dolphin settings with SS loaded and I'm more interested seeing the two compared anyway.

Nonetheless, it's good to see people excited about what could be the first step towards Zelda's 35th anniversary. Hopefully this isn't the only thing Nintendo has in store.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
oh crap, I meant to put this in general gaming, can someone change it?
Done. :)

Yeah, this isn't exactly a good practice, but I still bought Link's Awakening on release and I will buy Skyward Sword HD on release, too. I still own it on Wii and I still own a Wii and it still functions just fine. But... being able to sit on my bed and play vs being stuck in front of the TV that I like to have on while I'm playing is enough for me to buy it again. Plus I love Skyward Sword.

So like... Yeah, it sucks, but I'll still do it. :shrugs:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It depends on the game for me. For example, I didn't own Tropical Freeze or Pikmin 3 on Wii U, so paying full price on Switch for enhanced/deluxe versions of those games was pretty easy for me to do so I can experience them for the first time. Well worth it. Same for Link's Awakening, and even then I don't think it warranted $60.

But the new Mario 3D World port? Nope. I owned and 100%'d 3D World on Wii U. I'm not shelling out $60 for a few hours of extra content.

SSHD is a special case, kind of, since I don't have the hardware to upscale it on my laptop, and a control scheme free of motion controls is too good to pass up. So I'll be buying it.

With that said, I will buy Wind Waker as many times as Ninty sells it to me, full price or no, despite owning it for both the GC and Wii U.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
These $60 ports are terrible practice. Skyward Sword is a ten year old game and Nintendo isn't looking to add any new content, changes, or graphical improvements. It's effectively asking you to pay $60 for a better resolution and proper controls. Unfortunately, the sales of Super Mario 3D All-Stars set a terrible precedent. Nintendo fans seem willing to throw their money at Mario and Zelda no matter the quality.

I think the 3D World port was justified to be $60 because it added quite a bit with Bowser's Fury and online play. Same with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition adding that extra epilogue. The other rereleases have been overpriced. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is the worst offender. Adding a Funky mode just isn't enough to charge $10 more than what the Wii U version cost at launch.

Quin

Disaster Master
I only caved in for 3D world and that will probably stay that way. Probably because its the only one that actually got some effort. The original also was one of my favorite marios and games in general and I already got some great mileage out of the online, not to mention the game is faster and has a ton of small additions and improvements, like a few mario odyssey moves and such.
And I didn't even mention Bowsers Fury, which while short, is really amazing, and I can't wait for a full fledged 3D mario like this.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think what a lot of people don't understand about Nintendo, especially when it comes to pricing, is that Nintendo games always hold their value. Because Nintendo has been around so long, many people are familiar and nostalgic for their franchises which is why Nintendo games go up in value in the aftermarket.

Nintendo also isn't in direct competition with anyone else which is why their first-party exclusives sell so well without dropping prices. If you're buying a Nintendo console, it's to play Nintendo games, which isn't exactly true about Playstation or Xbox and their exclusives that can't manage to sell nearly as well as Nintendo, even with price drops and console bundles because they have full third-party support, and even they can barely manage to sell like Nintendo unless they're Rockstar, FIFA, and Call of Duty.

Does it suck that they charge full retail price for games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Link's Awakening, and Skyward Sword HD? Of course, but what are your alternatives really? Buy it used for 5 dollars cheaper? Find it on an older console and save 15 bucks? 60 dollars is still the standard retail pricing for Nintendo, and Skyward Sword is still one of their triple A games and a new one for many and it will sell like one. Either buy it at Walmart for 10 dollars less, or get screwed. That's really anyone's 2 options so why wouldn't they charge full price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom