• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
How many PS4P and XB1S exclusive games do you think there will be?
How many games will be basically unplayable on the old PS4 and XB1 and need the upgraded consoles?

I ask this in your opinion because we have the N3DS. So far we have 2 N3DS exclusives. XC and FE-W. A few of the games played very poorly on the Standard 3DS, like SSB4 and HWL. So we have a parallel with the N3DS. Will this also happen with the PS4P and XB1S in your opinion?

Apologies for my delayed response. Somehow didn't notice you quoting me.

I don't think we'll see many exclusives for the newer systems.

Before Scorpio and PS4 Pro, we saw this sort of thing happen with the New 3DS. And how many exclusive titles were ever released for that system? Two so far as I remember, along with a few titles that claim to run better on the system (I know Hyrule Warriors does, but I've never had issues running Super Smash Brothers on a regular 3DS). The problem with developing games exclusively for a less popular version of a popular system is that you cut out your core audience. How many people actually felt compelled to pick up a New 3DS? How many stuck with their regular old 3DSs or 3DS XLs?

Thus far I've only seen developers try and squeeze in extra textures or anti-aliasing using the PS4 Pro. No one has tried to develop a game exclusively for that subset of consumers who invested in a second version of the PS4. Some enterprising developer might try and do so later down the line, but they'd be alienating a massive consumer base.

So, no, I don't see the Scorpio or PSPro being huge factors in game development.

Last edited:
So, no, I don't see the Scorpio or PSPro being huge factors in game development.
I totally agree with you and thank you so much for the reply.

I'm not the most knowledgable about PS4 and XB1 development. You seem to be much more knowledgable than I on the subject so that's why I asked you, for your opinion on the matter.

I would argue (as you also have), that many people who own a 3DS or PS4 or XB1 see little need or want to buy the upgraded console also.
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), Sony said all games have to run on the PS4 standard. Not run well, just run. Sure the PS4P version can have PS4P exclusive features but the core game has to run on the PS4 as well. This gives people even less incentive to pick up a PS4P.

http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-ex...nintendo-has-been-listening-to-third-parties/

This is good news indeed.
Vertical integration has to involve the major 3rd parties as well.

Nintendo Japan Switch pre-order site crashes
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_live_for_switch_pre-orders_promptly_crashes

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I totally agree with you and thank you so much for the reply.

I'm not the most knowledgable about PS4 and XB1 development. You seem to be much more knowledgable than I on the subject so that's why I asked you, for your opinion on the matter.

I would argue (as you also have), that many people who own a 3DS or PS4 or XB1 see little need or want to buy the upgraded console also.
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), Sony said all games have to run on the PS4 standard. Not run well, just run. Sure the PS4P version can have PS4P exclusive features but the core game has to run on the PS4 as well. This gives people even less incentive to pick up a PS4P.

http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-ex...nintendo-has-been-listening-to-third-parties/

Nintendo Japan Switch pre-order site crashes
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_live_for_switch_pre-orders_promptly_crashes

Silly as it may sound, I'm glad pre-orders for the Switch are going through the roof. I wasn't part of the Wii U fanbase, so I don't know if anything similar happened there, what with the confusion with the Wii and the perception that it was just a different version of the Wii. It gives me hope that the system will cement a place in the video game market. If developers see that there is a consumer base to be exploited, they'll be willing to throw their games at it.

In regards to the PS4 Pro, I'm not even sure most developers offer exclusive features. I've two a couple different games that feature allegedly better performance on the bigger system, but the only extra options involve framerates and anti-aliasing. Because how angry would you be if you discovered content locked behind not a payment wall, but a system wall? I'd be ****in' cheesed.

Silly as it may sound, I'm glad pre-orders for the Switch are going through the roof. I wasn't part of the Wii U fanbase, so I don't know if anything similar happened there, what with the confusion with the Wii and the perception that it was just a different version of the Wii. It gives me hope that the system will cement a place in the video game market. If developers see that there is a consumer base to be exploited, they'll be willing to throw their games at it.
The WiiU hype was not there as much as the Switch. People liked the WiiU at launch but that's it. It was not "oh oh I must get this console". People liked the WiiU from a distance but nothing told them "you must buy this console" so many didn't. And many people never did. Even at it's launch I didn't see any reason to get it. It took 2 years and Smash / Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors to get me on the WiiU train.

On the other hand the Switch is really getting people hyped. I feel the Switch is the first Nintendo console ever where people are actually hyped for the hardware, not just the games. Also add in BotW, huge hype for that. So the answer to you us this current Switch hype was totally absent in the WiiU launch period. And the results of that are clear to see.

In regards to the PS4 Pro, I'm not even sure most developers offer exclusive features. I've two a couple different games that feature allegedly better performance on the bigger system, but the only extra options involve framerates and anti-aliasing. Because how angry would you be if you discovered content locked behind not a payment wall, but a system wall? I'd be ****in' cheesed.
I agree with you totally. My opinion is the PS4 Pro install base is so much smaller than the PS4 standad install base. To the point where the 3rd party developers would not make PS4 Pro exclusive games. Not because Sony said no to it, but because the numbers of consoles sold are not high enough for them. People love their PS4 standards. The fanbase is huge. The facts prove this. Do people want to buy a whole new console for minimal upgrades on some new games? I believe the answer to that is also no. Also the content behind a console paywall thing really annoys people. Even if you announce this for a game head of time. People rage about it. Even the PS4 Pro owners would rage. They would want everyone to enjoy the game content. All PS4 owners. I believe this is a huge issue going forward with the PS4 Pro. The standard will keep doing fine. It's solid and has the sales to back it up. The Pro though will struggle. I so think the slim though is a good idea. New owners get better hardware, more compact and energy efficient. The standard owners from years ago still have older hardware but lose out on no game features.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

They have promised us this before, and then immediately spat in our faces. I won't believe a thing EA or Ubisoft say unless I see real games. I want Dragon Age, not FIFA. And even if FIFA comes, I want real FIFA, not bobble head FIFA like they released on the Wii. It had better not be Motion FIFA with the joy-cons. EA always says stuff like this and we always get crapped on by them.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

I don't think early preorders necessarily say whether a system will ultimately be successful. I think early preorders will be good regardless.

However, it all has to do with how Nintendo capitalizes of momentum that they have: with a steady release of games. Which Nintendo seemingly may have, so long as Arms and Splatoon 2 are really fantastic. That will determine whether the system is a success.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The Switch event I attended was incredible. I got to try Breath of the Wild, 1 2 Switch, Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and (most importantly) Splatoon 2.

There's not much I can say about Breath of the Wild that hasn't already been said. The game is extremely fluid and you can do whatever you like. In the twenty minutes I got to do, I managed to accomplish some story objectives and also goof around a lot. I cannot wait to play through this when it launches (on Wii U). :P

In 1 2 Switch, I played Quick Draw and Milking a Cow. They're simple fun, and the HD rumble is quite obvious. I wonder how many games will be in the final build. Unless it's a remarkably high number, I can't imagine paying the amount of money they're asking for this title.

Arms is absolutely hectic. You're encouraged to move around as much as possible and keep your distance, so hitting each other is actually not easy. I hope it gains a dedicated following and keeps a healthy meta, because the gameplay can be exciting.

It's unfortunate that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe lacks any new race tracks, because I've never really cared for Battle Mode in any Mario Kart, and that's what this version really focuses on. Of course, I still appreciate what they've done, namely the additional characters.

Splatoon 2 felt extremely natural when playing with the Switch Pro Controller, largely thanks to the familiar gyro. It wasn't as good with the Joy Cons, because the right analog stick feels too small and close the face buttons. I love the refined HUD, but the new map screen and super jumping mechanic will take getting used to. I cannot wait to get more details on this game, this will likely be what makes me get a Switch in the future.

ExuHxv5.jpg

dvsquTf.jpg

2JqIGb8.jpg

nEd33TW.jpg

sv0jKro.jpg

Rxxfn7k.jpg

TUBuUDS.jpg

olRoEnm.jpg

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Bruh i thought I would pick onto the Switch but I'm still not feelin' it....like two games at launch, no 3rd party support, $299 price tag...like nah fam, finna wait for that tax return bling and a new car before I pick up on this one.

Bruh i thought I would pick onto the Switch but I'm still not feelin' it....like two games at launch, no 3rd party support, $299 price tag...like nah fam, finna wait for that tax return bling and a new car before I pick up on this one.
Even though what you said there is partially incorrect, a new car is always a better option then a games console.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Even though what you said there is partially incorrect, a new car is always a better option then a games console.
Eh, not for me. Everything that I care for is in biking distance; my job is 9km from my apartment, university is 3km, food/groceries are about 800m from me. A car is a frivolous expenditure for me, but one I'm not opposed to over the SWITCH purely from a utility point of view.

Eh, not for me. Everything that I care for is in biking distance; my job is 9km from my apartment, university is 3km, food/groceries are about 800m from me. A car is a frivolous expenditure for me, but one I'm not opposed to over the SWITCH purely from a utility point of view.
I don't own a car either. So I get where you are coming from. But hypothetically I was saying things need to be put into context. All video game consoles are jusy a luxury. Expenses should be paid first.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
So I take 2 days off of work to wait in line for the Switch at a regional retailer. They told me to bring a tent as there will probably be a long line (well duh!). This week, they tell me they won't allow people to line up, but that it's still first come, first serve. Am I missing something here? I forsee myself being kicked off their property for tresspassing in the 1st and fights breaking out as people claw their way over each other. I mean, the consol sold out in days worldwide. This just seems like a poor choice to me, I feel that they're asking for trouble. This is the same chain where I lined up for Skyward Sword and everything went swimmingly what with numbers being passed out and staff making the experience seem less. Anyone work in retail who's employer is doing the same thing? I mean, with Switches easily going for double their MSRP online, I see trouble brewing in the best of circumstances.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I was pretty busy during the reveal so I missed the pre order. I'm sure I could wait at Target or Wal-Mart but if Masters are showing up, I'll have a better chance at a smaller chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom