• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo DS 2?

Austin

Austin
With semi-recent GDC being over. There was talk about the Nintendo DS-2 running around. Few things have been determine. 1, its already in the hands of the developers. 2, from from reports of developers, it'll have roughly the same or greater power as the Gamecube. 3, it'll have dual screens like the DS series. It's said to have a http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1212391368499.html

The alleged image of the DS2:
nintendods2.jpg

My comments:

1) Whats the purpose of the DSi XL? It hasn't even hit shelves in the States, and yet talk of a DS-2 is out. Who will buy the DSi Xl, knowing the DS2 will be out shortly? I'm sure I won't, and I've been using the original DS.

2) Will we hear more E3? I'm curious what Nintendo will do. I have an sem-itchy feeling that the DSi XL will be as successful and the GBA micro. There has been 3 versions of the DS (not including DSi XL). I think the world has enough of the Nintendo DS. Is Nintendo going to advertise DSi XL or DS2 or both at E3? If they show anything about the DS2, that probably will kill the DSi XL.

3) I really hope that it'll be DS backward capability. There are a few DS games I would like to play with the DS2, and some I would like to buy when they go dirt cheap. However, I'm not a big fan of the GBA slot for the DS2. I really don't care, since I rarely every play a GBA game anymore.

4) I highly doubt the alleged image is real. Those who can remember, the 100's of alleged images of the "Nintendo Revolution". I'm curious what the real/current DS2 will look like. I wouldn't mind if it looks like the alleged image I've posted. I really don't care how my electronics look at all! I like whats inside and what they can do. For example, my Motorola Droid looks like a rectangle piece of junk, but what it can do makes up for it.

What are your comments?

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I was complaining about this when they announced it a few weeks ago. There really is no point for the XL if they're going to be releasing this thing. The XL comes out here shortly, and they're planning for a late 2010 release for DS2, so there's really no point in it at all. The XL is crap anyway. It's a DSi with bigger screens. They didn't even bother to change the resolution. It's being stretched out like 60 times it's normal size, so it doesn't look very good.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Well i have the original Nintendo DS (not a lite or DSi) I have had it for 5 years, and it has never broken or had anything wrong with it no matter how many times I drop it! However, most of my friends who have lites of DSis have gone through more than one of them quite quickly. I think he DS2 looks really breakable and it looks like you could easily snap it! I think the more advanced they get, the more breakable they become!!

Austin

Austin
And I was just about to buy a new DS. Good thing I came across this.

The image to me looks like the bastard child of the PSP and the current DS, and I agree with you when you say that it definately isn't a final image. I also hope that there will be DS backwards compatibility, but perhaps that's why they're (allegedly) releasing the DSi XL around the same time; if the "DS 2" doesn't play original DS games, the DSi XL would still have a purpose, and therefore would still sell. I'd like to find out additional information about this new generation however.

T

TheLastLink

That image is obviously fake. look at the top screen, then look at the bottom screen.
although it seems stupid to release the DS2 the same year as the XL came out.:dry:
you would think Nintendo would have learned their lesson by the time the Micro
stopped selling.:thinking:

This is about as believable as the Nintendo ON. DSiXL is definitely not gonna sell very well, and if they're going to try again, they better make one hell of an ad. Also, why would they make these when people have already downloaded a lot of the DSiWare and make them redownload them again?

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
My gosh, another DS? There's already four of them running around. We've got the original DS, the DS lite, the DSi, and the DSi XL (to be out soon), I really don't think a fifth one is necessary.
On the other hand, if the DS2 has its own unique games to play that can't be used on the other DSs, then there better be some really awesome new features since I don't see anything special about that DS2 image, provided it's real. Right now, it just looks like an abnormally fragile PSP with a dual screen.

jugglaj91

I am me....
As far as I know and it has been confirmed by Nintendo, there is another DS to be coming out but it will have an accelerometer which means it will be like a mini version of motion control. People who have an Ipod nano may know of similar technology used for the sideways flip and the maze game on them.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
And here I was saving up rup-- er money for the DSiXL in order to get working shoulder buttons. I guess I'll just have to see what the DS2 can do before I get it. Especially how big it is. I like a slim asthetically appealing portable as much as the next guy, but if that means my shoulder buttons will be rendered unusable in less than a year, I don't think it'll be worth it.

T

TheLastLink

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAH!!!!! ..wait, what?

Well now... I really don't know what to make of this.:S I'm really, really happy, but I don't know why.. hmm... Anyway, 3D? 3. D. W-i-t-h-o-u-t g-l-a-s-s-e-s.:O Gets you hyped, eh?:cool:

The image looks fake.
the track on the top screen is curved, yet on the map on the bottom screen, it is straight. And it looks like it is ripped from Mario kart DS. (The DS/ Lite/Dsi version. Could be my imagination. This is ust So annyoing! Isn'tr DS, DS lite, DSI, And DSI XL enough? And now they announce a new Ds?
This is seriously putting me off Nintendo...

Kazumi

chagy
OK look. The DSiXL is not a full upgrade like the DSi was. It's just for old people/a cash grab. And it actually sold like crazy in Japan. Like crazy. Nintendo is making a ton of money off of it there, and more then likely they will here. And stop complaining about a new DS being released so close to the DSiXL. Because it won't.

First of all, the "new DS" isn't a new DS at all, it's an entirely new Nintendo hand held called the Nintendo 3DS. :< Anyway, it is stated to be released around March 2011 in Japan, and probably summer 2011 here. And it is going to be properly revealed at E3. See? Huge gap between the DSiXL, which is just a mini side version of the regular DSi, FOR OLD PEOPLE. And to rake in unnecessary cash.

That's more then a year between a mini-upgrade (Think Game Boy Micro), and full fledged new system (Think DS). Much better then the actual time between Game Boy Micro and the DS. In fact, I believe the GBM was released after the DS. So this complaining is really sickening me.

Anyway, I really like the sound of those 3DS specs. Gamecube to better then Gamecube power? I smell some hand held Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Enhanced battery and wireless? I smell better online features. Analogue stick(s)? I again smell some GC ports, and things like FPS and more true 3D Zelda games. 3D visuals? I smell gimmicky game play equal or greater to that already found with motion/touch control. More of the same. DS/DSi backwards comparability? I smell migrating (Or maybe even trading) from the DS Pokemon games. And playing my other DS games on it is always nice. The fact that the 3DS development kits are already in the hands of developers? I smell launch date 5th Gen Pokemon.

See? 3DS = Good. DSiXL = Game Boy Micro (Cash grab) I sure can't wait for E3. And that imgae looks nice. I doubt that it is the 3DS. And even if it is, the model is likely to change many times before final release, like with every other console and handheld.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Oi... I just found out more about the 3DS. Better scratch the DSiXL off my list. I need more room in my wallet for that hunk of new Nintendo!

Although... the thought of 3-D movie effects doesn't please me much. I really doubt it'll enhance the gameplay much and hello seizures for people. Would you want to be playing a video game on the bus and worry about imaginary bullets coming out at you and making you go Wii in your pants? I think not.

I'm still guarunteed to buy it in order to play new Pokemon and Zelda and whatnot, but I'm not sure I'll like the paranoia of getting shot in the chest with an arrow or getting roasted by Blast Burn. Who knows, maybe it'll prove me wrong. But for now, I don't expect it to please me.

T

TheLastLink

Kazumi is correct. It's not as if nintendo is releasing a 3DSI XL lite or anything like that, it is a new handheld. :lol:

Anyway, what is this rumored "3D Joystick"
that everyone is talking about? and "Forced feedback"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom