• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Thoughts on the Wii U

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Hey guys, here are my thoughts on the Wii U and some other next generation Consoles.
Also, before I begin, mods if you find this necessary to be in another forum, please be free to move it.

Ok, as many of us know the Wii U was announced at E3 2011. In my opinion, the Wii U looked great, but they were pretty vague on information concerning it. I am almost HIV Positive that at E3 2012 they will go into more detail. I also believe that contrary to prior belief, that the console will not release in late spring, but rather around black friday or after, for the holiday season. Also, I do believe an app store will be readily available at launch if not soon after. Also, I believe that they will include the create your Mii, as they did with the 3DS, where you can take a picture of your self and it will automatically make your own Wii. I also believe that the controller itself may have Wifi functionality, allowing you to play on the go and watch movies etc. on the go.

Now, on to the next topic, which is games and gameplay. I am pretty sure they are going to include a new Wii sports, possible Wii U sports. I can see the controller acting as the tee for golf, and acting as a catching mitt for baseball. Just imagine really trying to catch a ball! besides that, and the controller acting as the bowling pins, I don't see much else they can do with it besides HD capability.

Now, hat I see for Zelda is grand in my personal opinion. Instead of having a nunchuck as a shield, what if the Wii U controller itself was the shield? it would make it even more realistic, with an add on so it straps on to your forearm. It could also be used as another map, and also as the adventure pouch. personally, I think they will keep Links current Wii u design. I hope they do! besides this, I can't think of anything else.

Also, if what IGN says is correct, then nintendo is most likely going to beat out the Xbox 720. But the Playstation 4 may be a true challenge, but we will see if sony can step it up. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we see another competitor, maybe apple again? What are your thoughts, let me know below.

I think people seem to forget that the Wii U Controller is just that, a controller. Sure they hinted on playing the games on your controller and moving to another room but remember that's just the controller. It can't do anything without the console itself unless you download an app on it like you do that of an iPod or smartphone. People I think seem to forget this due to the amount of attention they placed on the controller and not the system itself at E3. This brings me to my next point.

I believe the Wii U while having HD capabilities won't beat out the PS4 and most certaintly not the Xbox 720. The Wii U will be on par with the Xbox 360 now most likely, while the Xbox and Playstation will be on a completley different level than the Wii U when it comes to processing power just like it is now. The only difference being everyone moves up a level. This is most likely why they focused on the controller during E3 and not the console. If the console is the same power as the Xbox now, which I'm assuming it will be, there really is no reason to showcase it because there's nothing special about it that the people aren't offered to already. The thing that separates the Wii U from the other consoles will be its controller, and that's why they highlighted it during E3.

When it comes to Zelda, I doubt the Wii U controller will act like a shield. The main highlight of the the controller is its touch screen capabilities. How can they implement that when you're waving it around the whole time? Not to mention the fact that the controller will be atleast 100$ with all the cool gizmos they put into it, Nintendo doesn't wanna have law suits from angry parents saying their kid broke the controller from swinging it around and Nintendo won't refund them. You also have to realize the buttons are on the controller as well. If you're using it as a shield how can you access the buttons? It just doesn't make sence.

What will most likely happen when it comes to the Wii U controller and Zelda is, IMO, the swordplay will revert to button-mashing and the touchscreen will act as links pouches, map, items, etc. This is all purley opinion based though on what I've saw of the Wii U controller at the demo at E3. To me, I don't see how motion controls will work with that fat huge thing because if you haven't noticed, the controller is freaking huge.

I think people seem to forget that the Wii U Controller is just that, a controller. Sure they hinted on playing the games on your controller and moving to another room but remember that's just the controller. It can't do anything without the console itself unless you download an app on it like you do that of an iPod or smartphone. People I think seem to forget this due to the amount of attention they placed on the controller and not the system itself at E3. This brings me to my next point.

I believe the Wii U while having HD capabilities won't beat out the PS4 and most certaintly not the Xbox 720. The Wii U will be on par with the Xbox 360 now most likely, while the Xbox and Playstation will be on a completley different level than the Wii U when it comes to processing power just like it is now. The only difference being everyone moves up a level. This is most likely why they focused on the controller during E3 and not the console. If the console is the same power as the Xbox now, which I'm assuming it will be, there really is no reason to showcase it because there's nothing special about it that the people aren't offered to already. The thing that separates the Wii U from the other consoles will be its controller, and that's why they highlighted it during E3.

When it comes to Zelda, I doubt the Wii U controller will act like a shield. The main highlight of the the controller is its touch screen capabilities. How can they implement that when you're waving it around the whole time? Not to mention the fact that the controller will be atleast 100$ with all the cool gizmos they put into it, Nintendo doesn't wanna have law suits from angry parents saying their kid broke the controller from swinging it around and Nintendo won't refund them. You also have to realize the buttons are on the controller as well. If you're using it as a shield how can you access the buttons? It just doesn't make sence.

What will most likely happen when it comes to the Wii U controller and Zelda is, IMO, the swordplay will revert to button-mashing and the touchscreen will act as links pouches, map, items, etc. This is all purley opinion based though on what I've saw of the Wii U controller at the demo at E3. To me, I don't see how motion controls will work with that fat huge thing because if you haven't noticed, the controller is freaking huge.

I love it how you say most certainly the 720 when it was Sony which had the most powerful console this past generation and is certainly aiming to repeat that again! Even though they are rumors, I think it's safe to say that reports that Wii U is twice as powerful as the 360 and 1.5 times the PS3 are true. Nintendo knows that it would be commercial suicide ti stay that far back again. The Wii U will easily be competitive with the next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. Price is a threshold and Microsoft and Sony can't afford to take massive early losses again. All three consoles will be close in power as in the GCN-PS2-XBOX gen. I still can't get over the fact that you surmise the console to be only as powerful as the 360. Did you see those impressive lighting effects in the Zelda Wii U tech demo?! I haven't seen presentation on par with that in any 360 or PS3 game!

As for Zelda, the Wii U controller is perfect for a shield! That being said, Nintendo will most likely take a page from the Tech Demo and have item selection, dungeon maps, and the whole basic HUD on the controller's touchscreen to maintain a more cinematic feel on the main screen! In that respect, I agree with your last paragraph. And so be it. I thought motion controls might be the future of Zelda but while they worked well in Skyward Sword, I was left extremely exhausted.

I love it how you say most certainly the 720 when it was Sony which had the most powerful console this past generation and is certainly aiming to repeat that again! Even though they are rumors, I think it's safe to say that reports that Wii U is twice as powerful as the 360 and 1.5 times the PS3 are true. Nintendo knows that it would be commercial suicide ti stay that far back again. The Wii U will easily be competitive with the next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. Price is a threshold and Microsoft and Sony can't afford to take massive early losses again. All three consoles will be close in power as in the GCN-PS2-XBOX gen. I still can't get over the fact that you surmise the console to be only as powerful as the 360. Did you see those impressive lighting effects in the Zelda Wii U tech demo?! I haven't seen presentation on par with that in any 360 or PS3 game!

As for Zelda, the Wii U controller is perfect for a shield! That being said, Nintendo will most likely take a page from the Tech Demo and have item selection, dungeon maps, and the whole basic HUD on the controller's touchscreen to maintain a more cinematic feel on the main screen! In that respect, I agree with your last paragraph. And so be it. I thought motion controls might be the future of Zelda but while they worked well in Skyward Sword, I was left extremely exhausted.

I'll take your word that the PS3 was more poweful than the Xbox 360, although I think it could still be debated. Since I never actually looked up those facts I'll assume you're right and we'll go off that.

When it comes to how strong it will be compared to the Xbox 720 and PS4 I still have my doubts. While Nintendo has surprised us in the past it still doesn't seem likely to me that they will be up to par with the other consoles that Microsoft and Sony release. Since it's all speculation, neither of us can make an affirmed comment on that. My only reasoning behind that is if it was so powerful, than how come they didn't showcase its processing power? Nintendo knew its fans were waiting for an HD system with all the processing power and more than that of its counterparts at Sony and Microsoft, yet they didn't show it off at all? All we got was a little tech demo showcasing the fact that it supports HD and a Zelda tech demo which I think could be handled by the Xbox, or in this case according to you, the PS3. I'm no graphics master either but it just didn't seem like anything so different than that of what the Xbox 360 and PS3 already offer us. To me, the reason they showcased the controller is because even though it might have similar or maybe a bit better processing power than that of the PS3, what's going to set apart it from the rest of the other consoles is that mighty controller.

Just seemed to make sence to me.

I'll take your word that the PS3 was more poweful than the Xbox 360, although I think it could still be debated. Since I never actually looked up those facts I'll assume you're right and we'll go off that.

When it comes to how strong it will be compared to the Xbox 720 and PS4 I still have my doubts. While Nintendo has surprised us in the past it still doesn't seem likely to me that they will be up to par with the other consoles that Microsoft and Sony release. Since it's all speculation, neither of us can make an affirmed comment on that. My only reasoning behind that is if it was so powerful, than how come they didn't showcase its processing power? Nintendo knew its fans were waiting for an HD system with all the processing power and more than that of its counterparts at Sony and Microsoft, yet they didn't show it off at all? All we got was a little tech demo showcasing the fact that it supports HD and a Zelda tech demo which I think could be handled by the Xbox, or in this case according to you, the PS3. I'm no graphics master either but it just didn't seem like anything so different than that of what the Xbox 360 and PS3 already offer us. To me, the reason they showcased the controller is because even though it might have similar or maybe a bit better processing power than that of the PS3, what's going to set apart it from the rest of the other consoles is that mighty controller.

Just seemed to make sence to me.

The whole power thing I suppose is indeed subjective as the XBOX 360 has the stronger CPU, while the PS3 the beefier GPU.

We'll see the true power of the Wii U when it is in its final form at E3 2012. I'm expecting Nintendo to hit it hard with both first and third party support.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin

Why would you think it would be on par with the 360?

MW7

It's weird but I don't care much how they make us play the games or how powerful the system is; I just want to see what the launch titles will be. I'm hoping for new Mario since Zelda would almost be impossible to make by then, unless they do an HD compilation.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane

First, let me start by saying wow. It "most certainly" won't beat the 720. How can you infer that? Think about it, no major console giants will wait a year or a little over to make a console. Also, xbox announced soon after E3 that they were indeed working on the 720. So, I doubt they will beat the Wii U, because they wont just change the processors haphazardly. Also, you have to consider the fact that they all most likely started late 2010. So its been over a year in the making. Also, I did mention that it will ahve competition with the Ps4, so you obviously overlooked that.

Also, I doubt nintendo will make the controller 100 dollars. There will be outrage over over pricing. The Wii Mote was 50 dollars. 100 is double the price, and think about it, nintendo has always tried to make it consumer friendly. Also, you said how are we going to use the touch screen during the game when we are "swinging it" around? Think about it, did you swing it around or thrust it forward? Thrusting it forward isn't going crazy. Also, when you use items, do you use the shield? No, so using items will still be available. The shield isnt the most important aspect in the game, mind you.
Also, I doubt they go back to button gameplay. They mentioned that they see the next zelda implementing skyward sword controls. Why would they take all the advancements they have made with the swordplay and go back to what it was like with the gamecube and earlier? That's just a stupid decisions, not to mentions fans like the motion controls more. Also, the controller is a PROTOTYPE. Have you seen the prototype wii controller? Its no even close to what it looks now, the basic design was somewhat similar though. Also, they even said it's advanced much more then it was at E3 2011. Also, it being big is the point, it will act as a shield! It will make the gameplay much more realistic.

First, let me start by saying wow. It "most certainly" won't beat the 720. How can you infer that? Think about it, no major console giants will wait a year or a little over to make a console. Also, xbox announced soon after E3 that they were indeed working on the 720. So, I doubt they will beat the Wii U, because they wont just change the processors haphazardly. Also, you have to consider the fact that they all most likely started late 2010. So its been over a year in the making. Also, I did mention that it will ahve competition with the Ps4, so you obviously overlooked that.

Also, I doubt nintendo will make the controller 100 dollars. There will be outrage over over pricing. The Wii Mote was 50 dollars. 100 is double the price, and think about it, nintendo has always tried to make it consumer friendly. Also, you said how are we going to use the touch screen during the game when we are "swinging it" around? Think about it, did you swing it around or thrust it forward? Thrusting it forward isn't going crazy. Also, when you use items, do you use the shield? No, so using items will still be available. The shield isnt the most important aspect in the game, mind you.
Also, I doubt they go back to button gameplay. They mentioned that they see the next zelda implementing skyward sword controls. Why would they take all the advancements they have made with the swordplay and go back to what it was like with the gamecube and earlier? That's just a stupid decisions, not to mentions fans like the motion controls more. Also, the controller is a PROTOTYPE. Have you seen the prototype wii controller? Its no even close to what it looks now, the basic design was somewhat similar though. Also, they even said it's advanced much more then it was at E3 2011. Also, it being big is the point, it will act as a shield! It will make the gameplay much more realistic.

1. I didn't overlook what you said about the PS4. I mentioned both the PS4 and Xbox 720 will outplay it in terms of power, not just the Xbox 720. What I said was just a personalized guess. Don't forget you can't infer anything either and your opinion is not almighty. There is certainly time for the company to make adjustments to their products as technology grows. Their first take at the console isn't their only take, mind you.

Keep in mind if you want to bash my guess than this whole thread is counterproductive because all we're doing is making edjucated guesses on what the system is like. Don't get so angry just because I think a system that isn't Nintendo will be better.

2. I was low balling the price of 100$. If the controller is anything like what we saw in the demo, than it probably will be in that area. Have you seen what it can do? All the features they were talking about at E3 all point to technologies such as the iPad, Tablet, iTouch, etc. Nintendo is fair but never forget they're a business. Like all business, they want to make as much money as possible. Nintendo isn't a charity and won't price the items that won't make them maximum profits. The Wii Remote was 50$ and that remote is not even close in comparison to what the Wii U can do/what they said at E3 can do.

3. I don't care how much you wave the remote around as a shield it won't work. Just thinking about trying to use the touchscreen on the Wii U Remote as well as using it as a shield hurts because it's so awkward. Plus, you'd use your dominate hand for the shield and for the touch screen so how would that work? Your dominate hand can't touch the touch screen if it's strapped to your arm. Not everyone is ambidexterous. I'm so uncoordinated with my non-dominate hand that I don't want to think about fully controlling the touch screen with it throughout the whole game. Also, remember the law suit thing I mentioned? Sure I might have been exagerating a tad bit, but I think it's logical that a kid will drop it, break it, try to refund it, they can't, and then Nintendo is seen as the bad guys in the parents point of view and the kids because he'll have to buy another overpriced controller (again, the price thing is speculation.)

4. You're using the fact that the controller is just a "prototype" to justify your argument? That's sort of weak because what else do I have to go on? You can't just diregard the Wii U controller that we were shown just because you think the controller is a prototype. For all you know it's not. And if it is, I can still base opinions off of it because that's what we've seen.

Last edited:
according to IGN (and we all know how reliable their next-gen news are) the NeXtBoX will be about 20% (insert pony reference) stronger than the Wii U, wich is almost like Gamecube to PS2, in other words, not much at all. if PS4 is MUCH stronger than them, it will probably loose 3rd party support and get a high price, so brace yourself for another Xbox/Ps2/GC generation, expect this time ninty has the tablet

G

GBinc

I'm not at all excited for the WiiU. I just don't like it. I also don't like the controller, but that's just a personal nitpick. It took me 3 years to say,"Hey, let's get a Wii".

KingZantX12

Twilight King
I agree with you on that.... the Wii U just doesnt seem to interest me enough, sure HD graphics would be amazing for a Nintendo console but the whole screen on the controller doesnt grab my attention.

To me,the great thing about the Wii U is not the HD graphics or the controller,its the 3rd party support.As we all know already,the Wii missed a lot of great games because of his limitations,but with the Wii U,we wron't miss them anymore,games like Street Fighter IV,Soul Calibur IV-V,Assassins Creed games,Sonic Generations,Sonic CD,Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2,etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom