• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Movies That Make You Think

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
This week I watched a movie called "Timer". It was based on the sci-fi concept that science had discovered a way to tell when a person would meet their soul mate - which was then commercialized to sell people timers that could be implanted on their wrists of a countdown to the day of meeting (if their soul mate also had a timer.) It had a 98% success rate, with the dissenting 2% coming from people who wouldn't meet their soulmates until late in life, or who were supposed to fall in love with their enemy, etc.

One thing I found interesting about the movie was that a lot of movies would take this as some kind of fraud. The premise was that this actually worked, however, and what kind of repercussions this would have on society. The theme was that despite knowing in advance when you'd meet your soul mate, love would not be any less complicated.

It wasn't the deepest movie ever, but I was surprised at all the issues it touched upon and found myself reflecting later on about what I'd liked and what I'd wished it had elaborated on, which is more than what many "romantic comedies" can say. (And I say that as one who can be a sucker for the right kind of rom-com.)

What are some of the movies that have made you think in some way?

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
The Man Who knew too much- because the parents needed help finding their kid and no one would help them.. not spoiling the ending
Wizard of Oz- basically It touched base on you do have a brain, heart, a home, and nerve no one gives you those things you earn them!
V for Vendetta....
That is really it I think

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
The Butterfly Effect.
Highly moving film, but at the same time it really makes you think about how things could have turned out if you had done the slightest little thing differently in your past. It certainly made me think of things I really should have done. :\

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
The Fountain. Its all about death and immortality, love and spirituality. I know people who loved it, and people who've hated it, but its definitely one of the best and most thought provoking films I've seen in a long, long time.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
A very recent movie that just came out in theatres. I absolutely loved it, and I want it on DVD very badly.

Inception. This is a movie where thinking is involved within the first five minutes. It deals with knowing how to unravel dreams within dreams, so to speak. Knowing how to unravel the dreams, means that one knows how to extract information from within as well.

As I said, thinking is very much involved. This is a dearly loved movie by me.

Last edited:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Actually, quite a few movies have made me think in the past.

A short list of them;

Avatar- It made me think about our own planet and how we are treating it. Clearing forests and exterminating tribes for our own selfish gain...

The Matrix- It made me think about how easily manipulated humans can be. They had no idea about the false reality they called the real world.

(A wide range of zombie films) - Each has made me think about how easily society would crumble in times of danger and disease. Everytime, the virus quickly grasped the city because no-one would look out for the people around them, instead leaving them to die and become infected.

The Road- A really moving film about an apocayliptic event that wipes out most of humanity. Again, it shows how society will become chaotic and lawless. People are resulting to cannibalism and pointless violence rages across the area. It's a very touching film, as it follows an old man and a young boy struggling to survive and attempting to travel south where the sun is still visable.

linkman8

True and Noble
The Matrix, when it first came out, really made you wonder about our reality itself. Is it all a computer program? Makes you wonder.
Even stepping outside of the movie realm, however, there was an anime I watched called Kurokami that had a "Doppleliner System" which kind of ties in to the concept of a Doppleganger. It says that there are two other people in the world that look exactly like you, and if two of these alike people ever see each other, one of them will die by some accident. The one who didn't die takes the spiritual energy of the other, and finally when the last two meet, the one with more spiritual energy lives, and the other dies in the same manner.
It made me wonder about the Doppleganger thing, because someone said that they saw someone who looked just like me. :/

Various Zomibe Films. It makes m think about how everything would be so screwed up if it happenned. And how people would rect.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Event Horizon - It basically gives scientific proof of Hell's existence. Scientifically it's referred to as another dimension of space-time which is composed of pure chaos, but other allusions in the movie prove it to be the Hell of religious belief.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
2001: A Space Odyessy. I always liked this film, but it is a very confusing show. (Makes sense if you read the book) It really has you thinking about the possibility of alien life, provoking Human evolution. I recommend the movie, but highly recommend the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom