• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Milking the Franchise

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, I said it. Milking the Franchise - using methods to make money quickly and effectively with little to no effort. I'm not here to discuss whether this is good or not; it's always good for the developers and bad for the consumers. What I'm here to discuss--or rather, ask--is which methods would you be most comfortable with. How would you prefer Nintendo milk the franchise? Would you like remakes after remakes? Or would you prefer if we got "director's cut" or "International" versions of some Zelda games? Or maybe still you would prefer we get DLC every so often? The possibilities are endless.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I can't imagine Milking being good. I'm glad Nintendo has stayed away from it in recent years. I just fear they'll put a million crappy DLC packs on to some future game, or TPHD and SSHD released right after WWHD. It's made other game series bad, and I hope Zelda stays away from it.

Big Octo

=^)
I'm fine with what Nintendo has been doing with the series as of late, not milking every dime out of it, which they easily could. The amount of time between games allows the players to savor the last game. If a new game would come out every year, it might be a bit overwhelming.

However, if Nintendo was going to milk the series and I was allowed to choose how, I'd go with remakes. I'd be happy to see a new take on some of the games that probably won't be remade, such as the original LoZ or Zelda II. Seeing these games conceptually and graphically re-imagined would be a great experience, especially if they were translated into 3D. DLC might be another option, as long as its done correctly. Though, seeing as we're talking about milking the franchise here, it probably won't be, so I'll choose remakes.

However, if Nintendo was going to milk the series and I was allowed to choose how, I'd go with remakes. I'd be happy to see a new take on some of the games that probably won't be remade, such as the original LoZ or Zelda II. Seeing these games conceptually and graphically re-imagined would be a great experience, especially if they were translated into 3D. DLC might be another option, as long as its done correctly. Though, seeing as we're talking about milking the franchise here, it probably won't be, so I'll choose remakes.

Totally agree with you here. Remaking the games in 3D would be the best thing ever, especially ALttP. That game is already solid enough and many people like that game a lot too. If they remade that game, it would perhaps be the best Zelda game ever. I don't like the idea of DLC though. Many companies purposely leave things out of a game and make it a DLC, even though it can easily fit into the game without diminishing the quality of the core story.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Remakes. Technically they already started milking in Wind Waker with the Tingle Tuner.

Salem

SICK
Extra dungeons or overworlds get annual released as dlc packs. This is actually a better idea that annual sequels because dlc is cheaper for the customer than new games.

I wouldn't mind getting one really good DLC for a game if it meant we waited another 6-9 months until the next full game. As long as the game is comlete without the DLC. One of the things that annoys me about most Xbox360/PS3/PC games is that they make you buy $50 DLC just to get the full game. For example, Call of Duty BO2, appears to have a huge number of maps to play on. But 90% of them are boring and lack-luster so you never want to play them, making you only want to play 3 of the maps. If you want more, you have to get the DLC. I don't want a decent game that makes up for itself in DLC.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
There really isn't any way I see milking a series to be good. I'm already against remakes as I feel there is barely a point to replaying the same game. (Rereleases are fine. They lets us play on modern consoles.) I'm for DLC's, but not to the point that they're milking a series. Toys and trading cards don't seem like that bad of an idea, but it takes something really beneficial to make me say "I'm so glad they're milking this in this fashion."

However, if Nintendo was going to milk the series and I was allowed to choose how, I'd go with remakes. I'd be happy to see a new take on some of the games that probably won't be remade, such as the original LoZ or Zelda II. Seeing these games conceptually and graphically re-imagined would be a great experience, especially if they were translated into 3D. DLC might be another option, as long as its done correctly.

I agree that it would be way cool to see the art redone for the NES games. As much as I feel nostalgic about the 8-bit, 2D generation of games, I think it would hold the same, if not more, value than our revamp of the world of Alttp.

But as for "milking the system" I honestly don't see how Nintendo is doing that at all. Every game developing company has sequels to it's best selling games, even if those games aren't necessarily connected. Zelda games are not identical like COD games and each has it's own unique story points. Saying Nintendo is milking Zelda would be like saying Sony milks Assassin's Creed and God of War and Xbox milks Halo and Mass Effect. Making multiple games that use the same baseboard is not milking. Now, flooding the market would be, but most of the time Nintendo doesn't release another game from the same franchise within 6 months to a year of each other, depending on if the subject is Mario or not.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'm not really into the idea of too many remakes. I think an original is always worth more than a copy (or an update). I think the best way is to put time into making better new games- yes, that will mean we have to wait longer between new releases, but look at the time lapse between most of the home console games; five years between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom