• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[MEGATHREAD]Beginners Guide to Playing, and Moderating Mafia (+Index, Glossary, FAQs & Discussion)

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I've created a game similar to mafia based off of the T.V show Survivor. I'd like to know how it sounds, and if I should make any tweaks before I host or am allowed to host the first game, so here it is:

Survivor

Edited for Zelda Dungeon

YIGAhim

How it Works

• Each day will last 48 hours.

• In the day phase, players may talk to other players either in the chat, or in secret conversations outside the chat. If a player wants to talk in private with another player, they must state that they are creating a conversation in the game chat for everyone to know. Players from there can request to enter that chat. After the chat is finished, the player who initiated the conversation must announce in the game chat that they are finished with their conversation.

• Challenge Phases last for as long as the challenge

• In the Challenge Phase, tribes may (or may not) work together to solve a puzzle, or complete some kind of online activity. The tribe or player that wins will receive immunity at Tribal Council.

• Tribal Council Phases last 24 hours.

• In the Tribal Council Phase, players openly discuss in the chat a set of questions, and then have the rest of the time to freely discuss (in the game chat) what the plan is, ect. Players must have their vote sent by the end of the day phase in a conversation to the Host and only the host. If their vote is not sent, then they will not be able to participate in the next challenge. The person with the most votes at the end of each tribal council loses the game and can no longer participate in any conversations or the game chat. If there is a tie vote, then there is a 12 hour revote period. If there is still a tie, then the first of the two tied players to complete a challenge wins, sending the other out of the game.

• After a tribal council phase, it turns right into the day phase again. A possible alteration of this rule is to have a 12 hour night phase where outside conversations don’t have to be announced in chat.

• After 3 or 4 tribals, there will be a tribe merge where the tribes are split up

• Once approximately half of the competitors are eliminated, the tribes will merge and the challenges become individual.

• The 5 players eliminated before the final 3 (or 2) become jury members, meaning they vote for the winner of the final 2 (or 3), and must keep an eye on the game even though they are no longer in the game.

• When it’s down to the final 2 (or 3), there will be a 12 hour period when the finalists can state their cases to the jury, who will then vote for the winner.

• After the final vote, the winners will be announced.

Reactions: Doc

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Looks good to me.
I say we should totally play this on January. We've been talking about going on the annual hiatus, and this sounds like an interesting non-mafia game to cleanse our pallets.
What kinds of challenges were you considering?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Like riddles, or number coding or something doable.

I'm glad I'm getting positive feedback. My only concern is that the game would take upwards of a month... We'll see how it goes on a trial run

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I am down to give this a shot. I like playing the odd non-mafia game here and there. But I would suggest waiting until the new year, since most people are busy at this time and the general interest in mafia tends to die down, leaving an open door for non-mafia games.

Can you explain a bit more about how the game works? I don't fully understand. What do people talk about? What are the conversations for? How do we enter the challenge phase?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
@Mellow Ezlo have you ever seen the T.V show "Survivor"? If not, than none of what I said makes any sense. I don't suppose you have (you should, it's a great show. The season finale is tonight), though.

The players of Survivor talk about who to eliminate. Unlike mafia, Survivor has no good side and bad side. It only has alliances that can be both made and broken. The goal is to get to the end of the game, and have the losers like/respect you enough to vote you the winner.

Talking strategy is one of the biggest parts of Survivor. It's where alliances are made, plans are made, and decisions made. When people talk, they usually do because they have a plan on who to get out so that they can make it to the end of the game and win the Million Dollars.

This may help. Really, watching an episode is what you need if you want to fully understand the strategy behind it. When it comes down to it, Mafia and Survivor's really only similarity is voting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(U.S._TV_series)

Challenge phases will begin once the day phase is over. It is important to win a challenge because that guarantees you make it to the next day no matter how tribal council goes.

I have made a slight edit to the rules, where the initial day phase is 24 hours, and following the challenge phase, there are 24 more hours of day phase, like in the real show.

If that doesn't make sense, then I can explain it more

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Alright @YIGAhim, I think we can probably go along with this now. I'll make a post in the Discord server to make sure everybody is OK with putting the regular games on hold temporarily so we can give this a shot. Would you be ready to start pretty much right away?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
If I'm allowed to make suggestions here, the tips for playing as mafia are kind of "level one" especially in terms of avoiding interacting with your partners and staying consistent (and perhaps even wrong are points I could argue), which seems weird to me as the towny suggestions are quite good by comparison

Contrainer

I've never actually played Zelda
Not sure if it's the right thread, but I'd like to extend an invite to you all to Original Roles Mafia on Bulbagarden.
This game will feature 19 brand-new roles and there are only two spots left! Please join!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom