• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mandela Effect

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I'm sure most, if not all, of you have heard of the Mandela Effect. It's the name for the scenario where a large amount of the population remember something as being a different way than it actually is. Named after the fact that a lot of people remember Nelson Mandela dying in jail.

Anyways, my question is which Mandela Effect do you most strongly believe in? As in, which one do you remember the incorrect way, and are most confident in that belief.

While Berenstein vs Berenstain is a big one and one that I remember being Berenstein, my actual strongest belief is the Fruit of the Loom logo. Berenstein can be an easier mistake. But when it comes to the Fruit of the Loom logo, I STRONGLY remember there being a cornucopia in the logo. This one is the most unbelievable to me. There isn't much reason behind remembering a cornucopia with the logo, other than the association to Thanksgiving. But it's strange to add that in, when just a bunch of fruit alone is also a common image.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I find the whole Mandela Effect phenomenon fascinating as it shows us that we're unreliable at taking in data and recalling it accurately. It shows us that our memories aren't perfect.

It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon, and it's a textbook example of a false memory.

Like there's a whole population of people absolutely convinced that Pikachu has a black tip on its tail, but Pikachu never had a black tip on its tail.

50 Mandela Effect Examples - What Is The Mandela Effect Definition

The one on the right is the correct one. The one on the left is people misremembering things.

The human mind is amazing. :)

Kirino

Tatakae
It's definitely a neat effect to think about. In most cases, there are pretty reasonable explanations, and I like thinking about what they are and what they say about how the brain (mis)remembers things.
If anyone is interested on the why for this specific case, the Pikachu misconception probably comes from a few things: mistaking it with Pichu's (whose tail entirely black), vaguely remembering that pikachu's tail isn't fully yellow (the part where it attaches to the body is brown), and parodies in cartoons.
This might be obvious, but a major factor is also probably just the fact that his ears have black tips. The ears and tail are alike in that both are long extremities, so it's not surprising that the former's characteristics might be generalized and subconsciously applied to the latter.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I thought of a personal one

years back my friend asked me if I knew about the Shield Hero anime and I said yes b/c I saw a meme for Pokemon Sw/Sh that edited the logos to say Pokemon Sword Art Online and Rising of the Shield Hero

about a month ago that anime came up again and I referenced the meme, and he had no freaking clue what I was talking about, even saying he only just recently heard about that anime

so here we have me being 100% positive it was him I talked to that meme about and him being 100% positive he's never heard about that anime until recently, I even remember where we were when we first talked about it and he's the only person who could've been there w/ me, he tried to insist I had that conversation w/ another friend but none of them make sense in the context of that conversation

so either he's really adamant about ****ing w/ me about this for whatever reason or there's something spoopy happening

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I heard about this I was very surprised that the Monopoly Man does not wear a monocle. I guess with this one people associate it with the top hat as kind of old fashion? Also in terms of the namesake, I strongly remember being told that Mandela was dead when I was a young child but obviously he wasn't at that time.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The popular ones I don't really buy into because I feel like misinformation/misremembering things is why things like this happen. I did have a personal instance a few years ago where I bought a new pillow case that had green stripes and didn't use it immedietly. When I finally decided to use it I was convinced it had orange stripes when I bought it fsr.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
oh yea a pretty bizarre one is this shirt I have

it's always been one of my favorite ones and I could swear it had the drawing of an acoustic guitar but for some reason it's an electrical one?

I don't get how I can still get what's printed on it wrong after years wearing it AND considering I always loved it because of its print??

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
One of the most famous ones is the Star Wars one.

A lot of people seem to think that (along with it being represented and misquoted in other media) Darth Vaders says "Luke, I am your father", when he actually says "No. I am your father".

I think it has gotten better over the last couple of years (more people are learning the real one), but it's still very common that people think the first one is what's said in the movie

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ok I thought of another one in line w/ the misquoted movies

in classic mode for Melee, there's a couple bonus stages thrown in where the announcer says "bonus stage", but I swear I thought for the trophy mini game, he says "snag the trophies", when in fact he just says the usual bonus stage while the "snag the trophies" text is laid out there
I guess it's just a jumbled association kind of thing, b/c I feel like I can hear him say it in my memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom