• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask: Religious Metaphor?

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I just assumed in OoT young Link died at some point and there's only one timeline. I know they say there's two, but I don't see why you can't have Adult Link going home to be young Link again, and young Link never making it to the point in time where he was transported as an adult. This would make sense that MM was Link's time before the final death. Although if the Hero's Shade seemed to be an adult, so this might mess this up if it's definite that the Hero's Shade is that specific Link.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I just assumed in OoT young Link died at some point and there's only one timeline. I know they say there's two, but I don't see why you can't have Adult Link going home to be young Link again, and young Link never making it to the point in time where he was transported as an adult. This would make sense that MM was Link's time before the final death. Although if the Hero's Shade seemed to be an adult, so this might mess this up if it's definite that the Hero's Shade is that specific Link.

There HAS to be a split. I don't understand how people still don't believe in the split.

The BS of WW specifically says that after the Hero of Time defeats Ganondorf he disappears. In the end of OoT, after Link defeats Ganondorf, he is sent back to his childhood. This explains why the BS of WW says he disappeared.

If Link went back in time to his childhood and never went through the adventure he had then he NEVER would have become the Hero of Time which means, on a linear timeline, OoT would be the ONLY game that has or talks about the Hero of Time but the fact that WW uses the term "Hero of Time" means it HAS to take place after the adult part of OoT. The fact that MM features the same kid Link means it HAS to take place after Link gets sent back to his childhood. That, right there, proves a split timeline. ON TOP OF THAT THE CREATORS HAVE TOLD US THERE IS A SPLIT TIMELINE. I don't think it can get anymore obvious.

I think Zemen must be so tired of repeating himself by now about the split theory, hahah, I know I've read this at least five times by now. -_-"

It is interesting,. personally I don't think Link died there, I always thought it was something happening. If I'd consider a metaphor would be more in the lines like they said about the coma, as Links struggles in the whole Majora's Mask episode and manages to overcome it. The Shade Warrior of Twilight Princess, some people think is Link, myself not included, so it doesn't really make much weight for me to believe that.

Still, interesting way to take the game.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The creators have also stated that Termina is a parallel dimension. That sort of rules out the idea of it being an after life or coma world.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Not entirely true.

Even some scientists theorize that alternate dimensions (aka: alternate plains of existence that share our same world and all of its laws, even though we do not see them) could be "heaven", "hell", "purgatory", "limbo", "Valhalla", "Olympus", and other mythical/religious places reachable only by death. Same could be said about Hyrule's relation to Termina.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Not entirely true.

Even some scientists theorize that alternate dimensions (aka: alternate plains of existence that share our same world and all of its laws, even though we do not see them) could be "heaven", "hell", "purgatory", "limbo", "Valhalla", "Olympus", and other mythical/religious places reachable only by death. Same could be said about Hyrule's relation to Termina.

The same COULD be true about Termina if, and only if, the creators were basing it on that idea, which is not made obvious at all. The HMS has indirectly said that he can travel between Hyrule and Termina. That right there makes it highly unlikely that it is any sort of afterlife because it would make no sense if one of the "dead" can travel between life and death as he pleases. Also, the creators ONLY mention it being a parallel dimension. The game was made YEARS ago and if it was more than just a parallel dimension then we would know. The creators would have no problem telling us, seeing as how MM is set in concrete as to where it goes on the timeline.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Doubtful. In WW, Phantom Ganon's sword has Hylian written on it. The Hylian translates to Zabora Gubora which are the names of the Terminian blacksmiths in MM. It could just be an easter egg, but if it is meant to be more than that then this is evidence that MM is, indeed, a parallel dimension and not some afterlife or coma-induced world.

That sword has made me think about a lot of stuff...
Theoritacally, in the Adult Part of OoT, Link never went to Termina, and the moon probably crash landed into it.
But... what if the moon never came downin the adult part of OoT?
I'll explain: when you exit the temple of time in the adult part of OoT, all the Hyrule Castle Town is ravaged and full of Redeads, so, it is possible that the Happy Mask Salesman was also killed during the siege to the town, so, he never traveled into the Lost Woods and was never robbed by Skull Kid, wich also means that he was never possessed by Majora's Mask and never summoned the Moon to destroy Termina.
Maybe Ganondorf found a way of leaking into Termina through the Sacred Realm, maybe Zubora and Gabora were in fact Ganondorf's minions before he got "banished" in the scene we see in TP(the famous scene of the Arbiter's Grounds), or maybe... Koume and Kotake(yes, the TwinRova) got the sword forged and gave it to Phantom Ganon(they were never killed in the Child Part of OoT, and I really think that they are the same as the ones in OoT(they retain the same name, along with Guru Guru)

S

Super Goombario

What if the HMS is Death? There's not really much to further this idea, but it would REALLY make sense of the whole thing.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
What if the HMS is Death? There's not really much to further this idea, but it would REALLY make sense of the whole thing.

There is not a single thing hinting for that, and if he would eventually be Death, why would he have a punny mask shop in OoT?
And I don't think it would help to make any sense out of anything.
Death is a cool character in Castlevania, but I don't think it would fit Zelda.
Also, Majora is already the Zelda equivalent to the Devil/evil superior entity

Yeah, Skull_kid, it actually makes you wonder how did this sword could have gotten into Phantom Ganon's hand. Myself I don't know what to think of it, my first reaction is just to throw it as an easter egg, since I always though MM chapter was closed with 'Link's return'.

Not entirely true.

Even some scientists theorize that alternate dimensions (...) could be "heaven", "hell", "purgatory", "limbo", "Valhalla", "Olympus", and other mythical/religious places reachable only by death. Same could be said about Hyrule's relation to Termina.

Yeah, because they have never said something among the lines that it cannot be taken in such a way. They have done it with LA and PH, so MM cannot be discarded as well just because the in-game hint doesn't point it as directly as in the other games.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
There HAS to be a split. I don't understand how people still don't believe in the split.

I never said I don't believe in the split timeline. I actually do, it's the simplest and most effective answer, and as I said, I know they stated there's two. I just don't see why the one line is completely debunked, but it isn't to say I back it fully.

There's issues of where Kid Link disappears to if he's not in the Adult Link timeline, and just when does the timeline split, at the beginning of Adult Link's journey, or the end. And if Kid Link goes back to the beginning of the OoT adventure, then it creates and endless loop that never gets him to MM. I know they stated there's two timelines, but they've never given us answers to any of these issues, so it's up for debate and interpretation.

I've read your view a few times before, but I don't see it exactly the same way as you do. Neither of us are 100% right or wrong (I don't think anyone is when it comes to timelines because there's so little information given) because in the end, it's a video game, and they're not giving us a lot of information to go on. A lot of this is up to speculation and personal opinion on how different people interpreted what happened.

I'm open to any interpretation that makes sense. It's part of the fun of it all. :)

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
There's issues of where Kid Link disappears to if he's not in the Adult Link timeline, and just when does the timeline split, at the beginning of Adult Link's journey, or the end. And if Kid Link goes back to the beginning of the OoT adventure, then it creates and endless loop that never gets him to MM. I know they stated there's two timelines, but they've never given us answers to any of these issues, so it's up for debate and interpretation.

The timeline splits after Link is sent back to his childhood. Why do you think this causes an endless loop? Link goes back to his childhood knowing whats gonna happen. He warns the king of what's going to happen which means that the king will keep an eye on Ganondorf rather than letting Ganondorf take over without warning. After Link warns the king he leaves Hyrule in search of navi and falls into his MM adventure. There doesn't need to be an endless loop. If in the future you step off of a curve and get hit by a bus and get sent back in time with the knowledge that you will get hit by a bus are still going to step off that curve? No, you wont.

Link went through a great adventure that caused destruction and the overtake of Hyrule. He got sent back to before that all happened. Is he going to warn the king of Ganondorf before it happens or is he gonna let things be and go through all of the trials again? There doesnt need to be an endless loop.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
There doesn't need to be an endless loop, of course, but it's entirely possible.

I wouldn't step off the same curb to be hit by the same bus of course, but it depends on if you believe in destiny and fate. You can avoid walking in front of that bus, and you remain on the curb, but then it turns out the taxi behind the bus loses control and hops the curb and kills you anyway. By travelling back before it happened, you are able to avoid that precise moment with the first bus, but in the end, your ultimate fate is not avoidable.

It could be said that Link goes back and warns the King and all is fine in the world, or Link could just delay the inevitable and Ganondorf would take over regardless. Again, it's one of those things that we just don't have enough information about as to what exactly happened. It's a lot of educated theories by different people, and I believe they all have valid points to make. But in the end, the only people with the absolute answer are Miyamoto and the gang, and even then I have a feeling they aren't 100% sure. They're just along for the ride.

At any rate, we're wa-a-a-a-ay off topic now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom