• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask and the 3DS

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So, I'm sure we all know about people wanting a Majora's Mask 3D and the whole Operation Moonfall thing, especially after Axle's recent video. Well, I've got a couple things to say and a sort of proposition involving this topic.

Now, I'm going to come out and say that I in no way support Operation Moonfall. Now, don't get me wrong. While I would love to see the game with revamped graphics and in 3D, there's just no need for that. It would squander the 3DS's chance for an original Zelda title, and probably wouldn't sell as well as OoT 3D. Ocarina of Time sells itself just for being the game it is. Majora's Mask...not so much. MM isn't the mainstream title OoT is. It's adored by the fans, but is rarely known anywhere outside the Zelda fanbase. It would just be a poor idea all around on Nintendo's part. And, as Axle said, Majora's Mask doesn't need a remake. It's already perfect as it is. Plus, Ocarina of Time 3D is the only good game for the 3DS right now. If a game's gonna be bought for it, it's gonna be OoT 3D. Again, Majora's Mask doesn't work like that. It's highly underrated in the public eye. And if it were to be released, it'd be in the middle of a bunch of new games coming out, as well as having the WiiU as competition. It would get crushed completely. It'd be a waste of time and money on Nintendo's part.

So, with that said, I understand that one of the biggest reasons people want to have a Majora's Mask 3D is to be able to play MM on the go. And I can respect that. But the thing is, Majora's Mask has no real reason to be remade. Ocarina of Time had a perfect reason to be remade: the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda. With OoT being Zelda's most popular game and the one that sets the standard for all current Zelda games, it was naturally the choice of a remake in celebration of 25 years of Zelda. And that right there is really the only reason OoT was remade: the 25th Anniversary. If it was just another day in the life of The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time would have had no reason to be remade. Remakes aren't just made on a whim. They have legitimate reasons to. And in almost every case, that reason is an anniversary. Like with Halo. Halo's 10th Anniversary is coming up, so the original game is being remade. That's very fitting, as it's the game that started it all, and is today considered somewhat of a classic. If it weren't the 10th Anniversary of Halo, the game wouldn't be having a remake. Same thing with The Legend of Zelda. That's what brings in Majora's Mask. The only reason people are asking for a MM 3D is because it happened with OoT. If OoT hadn't been remade, people wouldn't even be considering asking for a MM remake. And, again, there's no special occasion to give Nintendo a reason to remake the game. There's nothing special coming up soon. Why put their time and effort into remaking a game when they could be using that time and effort on a new game? I know Grezzo made OoT 3D while the rest of the Zelda team made Skyward Sword, but having him work solely on remakes would take away someone who could be implementing ideas into the next Zelda title. One person makes a huge difference in developing a game. I'd rather have him working on a new title rather than just remakes. I mean, seriously, if you had the choice between a new Zelda game and Majora's Mask 3D, which would you pick? Of course you'd pick the new game, because it's new. Because it's something we haven't seen before. Remaking Majora's Mask would just be rehashing the past for no real reason. On top of all that, one of the reasons for a remake is to improve on the original version. Majora's Mask has nothing to improve on. It's already perfect as it is.

Now, all that to say that I see no true reason to remake Majora's Mask. The only "reasons" people put out are for the graphics and so we could play it in 3D, which are nowhere near good enough reasons for a remake. All that is is wanting Nintendo to take time out of their schedule to make something for pure fan service, which is quite honestly pretty selfish. But, again, I do understand that people want to be able to have a portable Majora's Mask. So, here's my proposition. Instead of asking Nintendo to make a Majora's Mask 3D, ask them to make a port for the game to the 3DS. It would still be able to be upgraded into 3D, and the gyroscope would also still be able to be used. The graphics would also be a bit brighter and smoother, as moving a game to a more enhanced system always requires some touching up on the graphics. (We already saw that with the GameCube versions of OoT and MM.) A port would take much less time and money, and would allow Nintendo to still easily work on a new Zelda game for us, as ports are pretty much copy/paste, just with some digital remastering. This would be the best way to get Majora's Mask on the 3DS without Nintendo having to make a whole new remake from scratch, which would take quite a bit of time, especially seeing as how complex Majora's Mask is, even by today's standards. So I beseech you. If you're going to beg Nintendo for Majora's Mask on the 3DS, beg for a port! Thank you.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

You seem to be kind of undermining the bulk of the reason people want Majora's Mask on the 3DS. It's not like "oh, Ocarina of Time was remade, let's remake more games." The idea is more that Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are something of a pair, and it would seem rather bizarre to do something with one and not the other. Of course, they did make Ocarina of Time Master Quest without doing the same for Majora's Mask, but the latter was in fact ported to the GameCube shortly thereafter as part of the Collector's Edition disc.

I would be surprised if Majora's Mask didn't make its way onto the 3DS in one way or another. Perhaps we'll get something like Collector's Edition that will lead into a new Zelda game for the 3DS just like the original Collector's Edition led into The Wind Waker. Actually, in all likelihood, that's exactly what I see happening, which is in line with your request to have it ported rather than entirely remade.

The problem that arises is that I can see, not so much the Zelda fan, but the more general video game fan complaining about Majora's Mask retaining its original graphics on the 3DS while Ocarina of Time had a major graphical update on the 3DS, and that might become a major point of criticism for the port. I imagine that if Ocarina of Time were to be included on the Collector's Edition-style game card in its original 64-bit-graphics form that might help excuse them not remaking the game entirely, which again seems parallel to how the GameCube Collector's Edition included Ocarina of Time, but not the Master Quest.

It's also possible that in creating this 3DS Zelda: Collector's Edition, they could bring over A Link to the Past on the same card like Miyamoto suggested. Considering that that's more likely to come as a "3D Classics" title for download, however, I might like to see The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess--but on the other hand, considering space... the 3DS cards are about 2 GB now, so they could probably hold only one GameCube game in addition to the two N64 games, if that. If, by that time, they're using the 8 GB cards they could fit all four games easily. If it comes sooner, though, perhaps it could be a non-Zelda-specific game card that instead focuses on N64 games.

Link's Awakening was remade why? To improve the graphics. A Link to the Past was remade why? So it could be portable. These same reasons went into remaking Ocarina of Time. And because fans wanted it. Not every fan wanted it, I personally would have been much happier with Majora's Mask from the get go, even though I do like Ocarina of Time, and I know a lot of people who are mad that it was remade at all. But you can't tell people what to want, if they want Majora's Mask remade then that's their choice, and all this "there's no reason" argument can be used for any remake, real or wished for. There has never been a reason to remake any game other than to improve the graphics, increase availability, sometimes to move it to a portable system, and because fans want it and it will sell. All of these so-called "bad" reasons are there for Majora's Mask as much as they have been for any other remake.

A remake isn't going to hurt anyone, it won't slow development down because it will come out at a slow time between other games. Zelda games get remakes and ports often, I don't see why some people are so dead set on Majora's Mask 3D not happening. I guess I just don't get the reasons against it anymore than those against it don't get the reasons for it :( that probably means there are no good reasons for or against it, it's all a matter of little reasons and opinions.

But from Nintendo's perspective it's fairly easy money considering the popularity of Majora's Mask and how half of the game is already made, and if fans choose to buy and support that it's their right. I do choose to, I will buy it if it's remade.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Link's Awakening was remade why? To improve the graphics. A Link to the Past was remade why? So it could be portable. These same reasons went into remaking Ocarina of Time.

LA and ALttP weren't remade. Those were ports. OoT is the only Zelda game to have ever been remade.

Actually, that makes me wonder. Do you know exactly what a port is? If you don't, it's where the original version of a game is taken and transferred to a different system, but has the same graphics and gameplay. Everything on the VC and eShop are ports. The ALttP GBA game was a port, as well. The text just got overhauled.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
First off, yes, I do think that Majora's Mask should be remade for the 3DS. It's a direct sequel to OoT, and OoT 3DS feels a bit naked without it if you ask me. Majora's Mask was an amazing game, but it just isn't praised quite as much as OoT since the time limit annoys some people. OoT isn't perfect either, however. My two flaws with it:

1. No story depth whatsoever.
2. It lacks the main Zelda theme.

Although, Majora's Mask has both of those things, especially the story depth. The game would be remade, not ported. Like JuiceJ said, a port is when the game is transferred over to a new console, but no major changes take place. Majora's Mask would be remade so the game could live on, just like OoT. Nintendo wants to open up new players to their amazing old games, but you don't see Nintendo 64s and games for it being flashed everywhere these days. The 3DS is new, so it's the only way for newer gamers to experience the amazing games of the past.

Last edited:
i want a majoras mask remake!!!! i also want a windwaker and a twilight princess remake. i actually only want there to be about 15 games in the legend of zelda series and for nintendo to spend the next 25 years remaking every single game until everyone is satisfied that their favorite under appreciated title gets the attention it deserves. and by the time they do all that i guess it will be time for an ocarina of time remake remake and a majoras mask remake remake! (obvious trolling btw if you couldnt tell)

*Edit* really? i got a negative rep point for my "trolling"? its sarcasm and satire to prove a point.

Last edited:

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
i want a majoras mask remake!!!! i also want a windwaker and a twilight princess remake. i actually only want there to be about 15 games in the legend of zelda series and for nintendo to spend the next 25 years remaking every single game until everyone is satisfied that their favorite under appreciated title gets the attention it deserves. and by the time they do all that i guess it will be time for an ocarina of time remake remake and a majoras mask remake remake! (obvious trolling btw if you couldnt tell)
You obviously are saying that people who want remakes are stupid, but they aren't. Only the popular and older games are wanted for remakes, but you make it seem like that every fan would much rather have just remakes than new games. And how exactly are games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker under appreciated? A remake is made for the sake of showing the game to new and veteran players more than anything.

You obviously are saying that people who want remakes are stupid, but they aren't. Only the popular and older games are wanted for remakes, but you make it seem like that every fan would much rather have just remakes than new games. And how exactly are games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker under appreciated? A remake is made for the sake of showing the game to new and veteran players more than anything.

i was exaggerating of course. i really do think nintendo does a fantastic job making the older games of the series accessible for veteran and new players. with the wii's and 3DS's virtual console, various ports, the collectors edition and now the talk of upgraded remakes it really does feel a bit... excessive to be begging for more of the same. I'm mocking the people who ignorantly seem to want this just because it was done for oot. there really is no shortage of ways to get your hands on this game already so i feel the "reintroducing it" argument is invalid because it was just reintroduced about 2 years ago. there just seems to be alot of people who take it for granted everything nintendo does to keep these old games around today and to me it seems ungrateful to do so. My comment to everyone who wants majoras mask? go play it, theres no one stopping you. oh and to answer your question about why i said mm and ww were under appreciated i was referring to how the media doesnt pay them the same amount of attention they do with oot. the only attention they really got outside the zelda community was because they were controversial different than oot.

LA and ALttP weren't remade. Those were ports. OoT is the only Zelda game to have ever been remade.

Actually, that makes me wonder. Do you know exactly what a port is? If you don't, it's where the original version of a game is taken and transferred to a different system, but has the same graphics and gameplay. Everything on the VC and eShop are ports. The ALttP GBA game was a port, as well. The text just got overhauled.

I'd say it's a little more than a port when they add an extra dungeon. The rest of the game was indeed a port, but bare in mind that even Ocarina of Time 3D still started with the original game, and then they imported new models and textures, whereas a true remake would start from scratch and aim to retell exactly the same story. Certainly it's easier to add things to a 2D game than to a 3D one, but Link's Awakening DX and the GBA "port" of A Link to the Past had things added to them, unlike the VC releases, so I think they are not quite the same thing, although definitely Ocarina of Time has had the biggest overhaul of any of them (unless we're counting the BS Legend of Zelda).

And to nintendo4ever, I've wanted Nintendo to put Majora's Mask on a handheld since I saw that Phantom Hourglass looked almost as 3D as some N64 games, so I wanted it back on the DS. I've wanted it long before Ocarina of Time 3D was ever spoken of, Ocarina of Time 3D is just proof that they can do it and make it look fantastic. It has nothing to do with wanting Majora's Mask to "get the same treatment" as it's predecessor, I just like Majora's Mask better and want a handheld version of it so I can bring it with me when I travel and play it while my family hogs the TV. And they presently have about half of the game re-done so I see no point in not going ahead and finishing it.

S

Sleepiness

I think it would be funny if they decided to do the remake and release it mid december 2012.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I think that people seem to have this idea that everybody who wants Majora's Mask 3DS wants it for the exact same reasons they do; the reasons I want a rerelease (notice the word choice) are in no way the reasons mentioned in this thread. And I think this perceived unity in the face of division is a problem. To remedy this, here are MY PERSONAL REASONS for supporting Operation Moonfall.

I want Majora's Mask on the 3DS because I want more people to play the game. Many people who would otherwise play the game remain woefully unaware of its position on the Wii Virtual Console. Many new people who were won over by Ocarina of Time 3D will have difficulty finding a way to play the game, particularly if they do not have a Wii. Many people who were won over by Wind Waker or other Zelda titles since Majora's Mask's release will all have difficulty finding a copy because the game sold so few as to have an abundance of used copies (FSA suffers from this as well) and because those who have it want to hold on to it. A 3DS rerelease would give it mainstream attention and instant brand parity with OoT3D's release. Since OoT3D is the first major hit for the 3DS, a lot of people will remember it should a MM3D come along, and MM3D will sell exceptionally well (I predict), reaching a wide berth of gamers.

Further, my Majora's Mask is on its last legs. The cartridge has a few errors, and the N64 itself is very slow. I do not want Majora's Mask to become a beloved relic of an age past. Ocarina of Time, a lesser game in every way if you ask me, has been immortalized numerous times and ways, while Majora's Mask dwells in the shadow of its predecessor, with a chance of being lost to the ages. I do not want this to happen. I want to be able to bring Majora's Mask with me into the next generation of gaming, I want to forever have this game at my fingertips.

I do not see Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time as a pair - quite the opposite, in reality. I recently played a lot of Ocarina of Time 3D, loving every minute, naturally. When yesterday I started up my N64 and began a new file of Majora's Mask, I felt a breath of fresh air, a sort of relief. This is gaming. Majora's Mask evokes different feelings within me, it plays like a different game, it looks like a different game, and it tells a far different story in a far different way. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are sequels only in chronology. This is not a good reason to rerelease the game.

What I want is a Majora's Mask for this generation. What I do not want is a remake of Majora's Mask. I support Operation Moonfall because I want to see not a port of Majora's Mask - I want to see Majora's Mask, as it exists on the N64, with the graphical and controls update that Ocarina of Time received. I do not want a Master Quest. I do not want a Boss Rush. I do not want extra sidequests or dungeons. I want Majora's Mask as it exists today, with the layer of polish that Ocarina of Time received.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'd say it's a little more than a port when they add an extra dungeon. The rest of the game was indeed a port, but bare in mind that even Ocarina of Time 3D still started with the original game, and then they imported new models and textures, whereas a true remake would start from scratch and aim to retell exactly the same story.

Um...what? That's exactly what they did with OoT 3D. It's a complete remake.

Certainly it's easier to add things to a 2D game than to a 3D one, but Link's Awakening DX and the GBA "port" of A Link to the Past had things added to them, unlike the VC releases, so I think they are not quite the same thing, although definitely Ocarina of Time has had the biggest overhaul of any of them (unless we're counting the BS Legend of Zelda).

They added something to LA because it was a DX. They did it with ALttP because it had FS on it. Those were understandable.

Big Octo

=^)
So if your saying that LA and ALttP were ports even though they were released on new platforms and not as VCs, then that means OoT was not remade. LA DX and the GBA version of ALttP are remakes, they were redone to fit their new systems and they had no content.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
So if your saying that LA and ALttP were ports even though they were released on new platforms and not as VCs, then that means OoT was not remade. LA DX and the GBA version of ALttP are remakes, they were redone to fit their new systems and they had no content.

I don't know if you're talking to me or MahBoiLink, but whatever.

As I said, OoT was definitely remade. But LA and ALttP were not. They were ports with extra features. That is not what a remake is. A remake is starting from complete scratch, while a port is just taking the original version and transporting it to a different console. Even if some updates are made, it's still a port.

Big Octo

=^)
Number one, I was talking to you. Number two, they are remakes. As you can tell, they have been redone to fit there systems, so they are remakes, not ports. Ports don't usually have extra features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom