• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MAJOR THEORY: The evil and fascist Hylian royal family practices global mass mind-reading and global mass surveillance!!

Before I start telling you about this major theory, here's a quick refresher...

Not too long ago I made a post (here on ZD) about how the Hylian royal family or Hylian royals are not the "good guys" we've been socially conditioned to believe that they are growing up (you can go read that post first, you might as well 'cause those theory videos are really worth watching):

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/forum/...the-kingdom-guesses.74560/page-5#post-1402015

I even posted a link to a playlist that contains a non-exhaustive list of all the horrific atrocities committed by the Hylian royal family against the various peoples of Hyrule (there's a ton of evidence to back this up, including a list of locations where the Hylian royal family plastered their crest over said locations like the Shadow Temple, the Well of Three Features, Arbiter's Grounds and probably that giant colloseum in BOTW only to name a few), that non-exhaustive list of atrocities includes; murder, torture, mass genocides, magical experiments, racism, Gerudo apartheid, and cover-ups among other things not to mention being behind systemic inequalities and power imbalance between the races under non-democratic rule:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzG_3q50DuPkRcOm-vIy4hvnUyvKV5O-t

Now I'm going to tell you about the major theory I wanted to share with you today, I want to demonstrate that the evil and fascist Hylian royal family practices global mass mind-reading and global mass surveillance to punish people for so-called "thought crimes" and of course punish any dissent in an attempt to keep the masses under their thumbs and keep themselves in the seat of power, listen and pay attention to the evidence in those two videos that I recently came across , those people explain it so much better than I do:

Yes, I know, finding out that the Hylian royal family are not the "good guys" we've been socially conditioned to believe that they are growing up is a hell of a wake up call. But the more you age, the more you'll see what's really going on (because you're now a mature adult and not a naive child anymore) and the more bitter and disillusioned you'll become and I know that not only from personal experience but also because I'm in my early forties and in my four decades of life I've seen a lot of other people experience the same thing.

To be honest with you, I quit playing Zelda games years ago because after finding out that that the Hylian royal family are not the the "good guys" we've been socially conditioned to believe that they are growing up, I felt too disillusioned to keep playing the games. When I'm on ZD I mostly post in the general chitchat section of the forum (especially media and mature discussion because I love posting there and I like socializing and interacting with other ZD members and they're rather nice). I made only three posts in the Zelda section of the forum (all f them theory posts). Even though I quit playing Zelda games years ago, I still watch theory videos because theorists' fan videos are always interesting to watch (I watch them at night when I can't sleep or while eating breakfast in the morning) and I still write and post a Zelda one-shot fic on my AO3 once in a while. It's just that I'm invested in theorists' work and research and writing my fics as opposed to playing the games.

That doesn't stop me from watching some Let's Plays or walkthrough video series of the new game when it's released, out of curiosity and probably because I get bored and look for distraction (though I must admit that I felt bored to death when I watch Let's Plays of BOTW, why are all four freaking dungeons so empty, bland and boring and why are all four bosses pretty much the same except for an electroc one that's a bit more challenging, that doesn't make me want to buy a copy of BOTW, it's worse than WW and I never liked WW and I've always prefered PH and ST, but all I can say is here's hoping that TOTK has better dungeons, and if it doesn't have better dungeons I hope they bring back the traditional dungeons because if they can't give us better dungeons they shouldn't give worse ones and it's just better if they go back to giving us the traditional dungeons, also there was no more dungeon items in the dungeons in BOTW, they were given to you on a silver platter in the form of the Sheikah slate and you never had to earn them or work hard/fight enemies and mini-bosses to get them, I'm not the only one who complain about these things and lots of other people felt dissatisfied).

If other people want to keep playing the games after finding out that the Hylian royals are not "good guys", that's their business, because live and let live is my motto in everyday life and I expect to be treated the same in return.

So... discussion... What do you think of Dr. Wily's video and Zeldom's video? Discuss this theory among yourselves in the comment section...

Reactions: Dio

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Honestly, I haven't looked at the royal family as the good guys in a long time. They're a monarchy with a penchant for gross incompetence (see their inability to raise any meaningful defense or inspire any loyalty in stuff like Twilight Princess), or actively getting millions of people killed (as during the prologue of Wind Waker). Monarchies usually aren't the good guys.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I never think of the royal family as benevolent. They aren't evil on the scale that Ganondorf is who actively enjoys reaving and murdering though the royal family have no doubt done those things in the name of righteousness.

Wind Wakers world on the other hand is a libertarian paradise.

This theory is fascinating, not for the theory itself, but for how it aligns with a conversation I am trying to have in this thread.

The intent versus what we read in is amazing.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
Same argument people use to say the west in LOTR is “actually the bad guys.” And just like in Middle Earth it’s absurd. Divinely ordained monarchies can’t be evil since evil is benchmarked against their enemies.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
To be honest with you, I quit playing Zelda games years ago because after finding out that that the Hylian royal family are not the the "good guys" we've been socially conditioned to believe that they are growing up, I felt too disillusioned to keep playing the games.
You know that theyre... games, right? Its not that deep, you don't actually need to care about this stuff to enjoy the game itself. Nintendo could release a game where Link runs a child organ trafficking ring and I'd still play it if it had good dungeons

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
You know that theyre... games, right? Its not that deep, you don't actually need to care about this stuff to enjoy the game itself. Nintendo could release a game where Link runs a child organ trafficking ring and I'd still play it if it had good dungeons
while I do agree that completely detaching yourself from Zelda games just because of the royal family is a bit much hah, I think there is a point where a game could have too much questionable stuff in it, and the protagonist running a child organ trafficking whatever is definitely up there, I wouldn't play that no matter how good the dungeons are, eck.

I know you were mostly joking around, but still, I don't know if that's the best subject to joke about? Eh, sorry but it just rubbed me the wrong way

D

Deleted member 96199

while I do agree that completely detaching yourself from Zelda games just because of the royal family is a bit much hah, I think there is a point where a game could have too much questionable stuff in it, and the protagonist running a child organ trafficking whatever is definitely up there, I wouldn't play that no matter how good the dungeons are, eck.

I know you were mostly joking around, but still, I don't know if that's the best subject to joke about? Eh, sorry but it just rubbed me the wrong way
I don't believe that theory is correct in anyway. Back then companies were looking for westernized content that can appeal outside Japan in the markets of North America and Europe. Link was based on a medieval knight and temple of time on a catholic church, but that it is just graphic designs made to appeal on the west. And so is the king of Hyrule. The basis of these theories come from the limitations that the artists, of each period of time 80s/90s, had to phase so they are practically based on holes of the plot that are left open to interpretation.

There is also a change in that era that the media took a more artistic and serious approach and video gaming stopped being just entertainment and evolved to what video gaming is now. This alone explains that games severed another purpose but Nintendo decided to keep going with the classic approach of just home entertainment with the motto "it must be fun".

Pen

The game is on!
Most of these findings don't come as news to me. I've been playing Zelda since I was a kid, but I thought it was always rather apparent that the royal family was far from flawless. Realistically monarchies are always problematic, so if anything I do appreciate the accuracy of that. Hell, the whole concept of birthright is altogether silly if you ask me. But a royal family like this comes with the setting. The way they've managed to make it this dubious is intriguing to me. A truly "good" head of state would be boring as hell, not to mention unrealistic. I appreciate the nuanced and morally grey royal family that we've got in the games, since it helps make the world feel all the more interesting and believable.

Most of these findings don't come as news to me. I've been playing Zelda since I was a kid, but I thought it was always rather apparent that the royal family was far from flawless. Realistically monarchies are always problematic, so if anything I do appreciate the accuracy of that. Hell, the whole concept of birthright is altogether silly if you ask me. But a royal family like this comes with the setting. The way they've managed to make it this dubious is intriguing to me. A truly "good" head of state would be boring as hell, not to mention unrealistic. I appreciate the nuanced and morally grey royal family that we've got in the games, since it helps make the world feel all the more interesting and believable.
Best opinion I have read in this thread, so far.

While deep dives are fun, we ultimately fill in with our selves, if we go too deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom