• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Live Action Legend of Zelda Television Show - What You Would Like to See (and Not to See)

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I agree with Salem, Djinn, and AncientPoe. I was so excited and scared when I first heard about it, and now I'm just excited. If Nintendo's really working closely with the people at Netflix (the same type of people award-winning shows like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards came from, let me remind you), I think it will be a well-made, witty, relatively accurate representation of the Zelda lore and franchise.

I would prefer Link be a minimalist speaker, but I don't want his sidekick's only job to be to speak for him (ie Proxi). I want Zelda to be more than a damsel in distress, but I don't want her to be shipped with Link unless she and him get a lot of character development together. I want the world and monsters to feel very Zelda-y, and not generic. I would actually love Koji Kondo make the theme song (not sure who suggested that). I want an accurate, young actor to play Link. No Orlando Bloom or anything like that. I want Ganondorf to be like Wind Waker, where he has some relatability and reason for his evil, but not enough for one to justify or support his actions. He's still the bad guy.

Other than that, and having open call casting auditions once they get into casting, that's really all I can ask for.

I think it would make the most sense if it was set in Zelda WII U or a original story set in Hyrule. If it comes into fruition, I would bet it would be for the 30th anniversary since Zelda Wii U is missing that mark. A lot of people seem to have doubts, but if it has the same budget as other Netflix originals the exposure could make Zelda more mainstream.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
They'll recreate that Zelda feeling by pausing every five seconds to explain how much a red rupee is worth.

On a serious note, I'm kind of worried about this. I'm still mentally scarred from the anime all those years ago. I'm hoping it'll be true to the story and characterisation that all of us know and love. I also hope they do the dungeons and that they'll actually be good. Will we see some of the dungeon items put into use?

On the other hand I feel like they would do better out of a movie franchise for Zelda, like a movie devoted to one game at a time. Maybe not all of them, but certainly the more well known ones, like OoT, MM, TP, WW. I sincerely hope we don't see some awful mockery made of the Zelda games and I also hope this won't influence the future games negatively in some way, like they'll start making them to be good in the show and not good to play.

P.S. I hope Link speaks, as has been said, at least a bit. The silent hero thing isn't going to work, really, but we don't want someone speaking for him.

It's all going to come down to who the target demographic is. I just don't want it to be a "Game of Thrones Clone" if you know what I mean (it probably won't be). I really hope it's targeted at a younger demographic. All the fantasy shows targeted at older audiences have been done enough. I'd like something a little different. I'm trying to think of live-action fantasy shows that have been done that were aimed at a younger audience. Can anybody think of any?

As far as ZeLink goes, as others have mentioned, I suppose it could work as long as it isn't forced and is built on very slowly as the series progressed. I just grow weary of the "they have to be together" implied mentality. Perhaps they should just do what they do in the games and very subtly hint at it but never actually make them a couple.

I'm pretty mixed on this, but the one thing I'm hoping for is that it stays true to the source material. And like many others have said, I actually want to see Link talk for once, but my idea on this is that he should be more of a silent type. That way he can stay true to his silent avatar status.

Tbh, I think a possible live-action Zelda series on Netflix sounds like a much better idea than having the Smurfs team working on a live-action/CGI Sonic the Hedgehog movie. :P

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
One other question I have is whether or not Link should be the main character.
I don't think there's any question to be had about this. Link has always been the main character of the Zelda games, there's no reason for him to not be the main character in any TV adaptation. I'm not saying the story should ONLY follow him but I think that having anyone else as the main character would just be silly.

I guess asking if Link should be THE main character is a silly question. I've really been thrown for a loop since this series was announced. It's just that in order for him to be the main character, he would have to be very developed and would have to talk. Two things Link is not known for. Perhaps they could start off by focusing on other characters (like Zelda and Ganondorf) at first. At least they have spoken in the video game series. I just believe Link shouldn't be the main focus right away. Maybe he should be gradually introduced and developed as the series progressed. It's a very delicate matter.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I don't think there's any question to be had about this. Link has always been the main character of the Zelda games, there's no reason for him to not be the main character in any TV adaptation. I'm not saying the story should ONLY follow him but I think that having anyone else as the main character would just be silly.
Well, I'd actually hope he isn't. About a year ago I was talking to some people when they were thinking about a Mass Effect movie, and they came up with the idea that, if they made one, they should focus on side characters. One thing people hate about the CD-i games, and to some extent the cartoon, was their portrayals of Link and Zelda. If they kept them as side characters, then they could dodge that bullet. Also, it helps us learn more about the world of Hyrule and the other characters.
Unless it's Tingle: The Series, in which case I'm unsubscribing from Netflix.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I guess asking if Link should be THE main character is a silly question. I've really been thrown for a loop since this series was announced. It's just that in order for him to be the main character, he would have to be very developed and would have to talk. Two things Link is not known for. Perhaps they could start off by focusing on other characters (like Zelda and Ganondorf) at first. At least they have spoken in the video game series. I just believe Link shouldn't be the main focus right away. Maybe he should be gradually introduced and developed as the series progressed. It's a very delicate matter.
I see now. That's a possibility. Not sure how I feel about that bit, I'm neutral to most of what happens because I'm going to watch it no matter what but honestly having literally anyone besides Link as the main character would cause the biggest outrage lol.

Well, I'd actually hope he isn't. About a year ago I was talking to some people when they were thinking about a Mass Effect movie, and they came up with the idea that, if they made one, they should focus on side characters. One thing people hate about the CD-i games, and to some extent the cartoon, was their portrayals of Link and Zelda. If they kept them as side characters, then they could dodge that bullet. Also, it helps us learn more about the world of Hyrule and the other characters.
Unless it's Tingle: The Series, in which case I'm unsubscribing from Netflix.
All I can say is that I highly disagree with you. I'm all for including side characters, for example an episode dedicated to a couple called Anju and Kafei, or a bit about the carpenters, but to focus on them and push Link to the side is, again, silly. He has and always will be the main character of the Zelda series, there's no reason to change that.

Dude, Djinn, why you gotta hate on Jeremy Irons? Surely he isn't that (sudden flashback of Eragon)…

Okay okay, so you may have a point. But he was cool in Kingdom of Heaven.

I'm pretty mixed on this, but the one thing I'm hoping for is that it stays true to the source material. And like many others have said, I actually want to see Link talk for once, but my idea on this is that he should be more of a silent type. That way he can stay true to his silent avatar status.

The more silent he has to stay, the more we start to stray into the "annoying sidekick" character zone to give him a voice. Personally, I see no reason not to have him talk like a normal person. The archaic "he's silent so people can make up their own voice" thing is stupid anyway.

You know, I'm actually curious to see how they'd approach fairies in the game. Companion fairies as well as things like fountain or great fairies. Would they do the 'glowing ball' type or try to do what Nintendo originally wanted and have cute little pixie-ish women? I suppose my one concern about the quality of the show in general is tangent to this point: special effects. Netflix has done lots of great shows but they've all been comparatively cheap to make. This would have much more need of effects, and even shows like HBO's Game of Thrones tends to limit what they do to more practical effects and tricks (for which I am grateful). Even something like the Dire Wolves don't get used more than is necessary. Anyway that aside, I'd be interested to see who they got to play and fairies that get cast as real people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom