• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Link - Should He Be Accompanied by a Companion or Ride Solo?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link's companions have wildly transformed over the years, from being very distant (distance-wise, like Sahasrahla), to being himself (Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure) to being in your face 24/7 (like Fi). Link has also ridden solo, but the last game that actually happened was Link's Awakening, to my knowledge. But I've a simple question: do you want Link to be accompanied by a companion in Zelda 3DS, or would you rather him go it alone?

I myself would love to see Link versus the elements of danger by himself once more. I miss him being a solo adventurer, although he was never really defined as such. That way, I won't have to read a text box every ten minutes, and I will finally be able to figure things out without interruption! :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Helper characters have helped plot progression ever since Navi, and it's nice for players that want to use a guide to have one on-hand, so it makes the most sense for helper characters to remain in the series. So long as it's not like Ezlo or Fi where they pop out and say things no matter if we want them to or not.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Even though I did do this art piece in honor of Link's companions (because, unlike some fans, I do find something to like with each of them, even Navi)...

I'd love to see a modern Zelda game in which Link goes it alone. No sword-spirits coming out of his sword to tell him his hearts and batteries are low, no snarky companions tucked away in his shadow, no talking hats, no fairies, no talking modes of transportation... The companions do serve the purpose of assisting the player (which is probably the main reason why Nintendo keeps the concept, help for the casual games-player)... but sometimes, increasingly, actually, I *don't want assistance.* While I like the idea of Link "having a friend for the journey" story-wise, I find myself saying "SHUT. UP." to the screen far too often.

One of my very favorite things about the King of Red Lions in Wind Waker is that he was a companion that wasn't with me *all* the time. He had to stay in the water. On land and in the dungeons, I had to figure it out for myself. It was like old times with the old school games.

I'd really like to see Nintendo go all the way with a new Zelda title and have Link's journey be a lonely one. He can be helped by people in the towns and by mentors and stuff, but as far as doing the dangerous work, let him (and you) wander by yourself.

I just know I don't want to be reminded I'm nearly out of hearts. Grr. I know that because of the beeping and the panting, game!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Seeing Link without a companion would be a welcome change, I think. I do love the companions but it'd be nice to have a modern Zelda without one for variety's sake.

You could even take Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks' note-taking a step further. Rather than just drawing on your map, have a whole notebook. If you don't have a fairy or an imp or a hat telling you what's going on, make us record things ourselves. This would be better utilised if the game kept its secrets more secret and if the enemies required more strategy to defeat because you could then make and cross-reference notes to solve puzzles completely on your own and even keep a 'Bestiary' in which you note an enemy's specific weakness or where they commonly show up. Of course, such large amounts of note-taking might feel unwelcome in Zelda but still, having no companion would make the game quite different to the majority, so I'd be all for it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
As long as they tell me stuff about the enemies. ****ing Midna...

Ehhh...I really hope not...I think that's too much info. Makes the game too easy. Maybe a hint after awhile. Like Midna and the Stalfos. I just don't want too much info.

izi

Not A Wizard
My vote goes to a simple partner. Someone/thing to accompany Link without being too story heavy; almost like Navi and very unlike Midna and Fi. The only story association I would like them to have is how Link and said partner come across each other.

I havent really hated any of Link's companions and for the most part I've been able to ignore them, even Fi.

Mogma: go to the volcano
Me: Okay...
Fi: Master go to the volcano
Me: *has already picked up a drink and is mashing A when i sensed that she was gonna pop up*

But yeah, i'd like Link to ride solo, i think Zelda puts a bit too much emphasis on puzzle solving and so i'd like that to change and have the next destination of where to go as a bit of a puzzle a little like Shadow of the colossus, where you knew the direction you just had to find a way here even if it meant you had to sometimes go the opposite way for a while, i'd like that more than a companion telling us where to go and then being assaulted by puzzles and if Link would be alone it'd feel a lot more like an adventure and give a sense of discovery which Zelda has really lost now since WW.

So no companion for me, let Link go at it alone one more time.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'm torn on this..

Lore wise I'd say no; Link is supposed to be this lone wolf guy that does everything by himself and occasionally has some passive creature help him while at the same time I had a blast playing BioWare's games where you have so many companions that actually fight by your side. So I have no clue..

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I would say that a distant partner like Sahasrahla or King of the Red Lions would be fine. I do want it to be a new character though, and not just a new fairy.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Depends on how it's done.

How to do a companion right ---> Midna
How to do a companion wrong ----> Fi/Navi

If something has to follow you around like a ball and chain for the length of the adventure, they should at least be interesting. Midna had a character who was central to the plot. Heck, the subtitle was a reference to her. Get the companion involved and make her interesting.

Second, know when to STFU. If I want help I'll ask for it, otherwise, keep quiet! Fi's constant incessant interruptions were extremely aggravating, disappointing and useless. Navi's horrendous "Hey!" "Look!" and "Listen!"'s were flat out irritating. Neither character served the plot or narrative at all. Fi not nearly half as much as I would have liked or expected.

So, if you can't do it right don't do it at all. Companions shouldn't be around to hold the players hand like an overprotective doting mother. Be around to offer assistance, otherwise, be central to the plot and don't interrupt! If I need their help I'll ask for it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Castle

Or at least be given an option to "turn them off" or let the game know we aren't noobs/have beaten this game before.

I would love to see Link riding solo for once but i don't think it will happen anytime soon, because having partners is a usual thing in Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom