• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Life Expectancy

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
No. Anju's Grandmother in MM is not an Hylian, she's a Terminian. But there is Granny in OOT who looks like her. (the old witch in the other potion shop) And we don't know her age exactly. :nod:

As for me, I think Hylians would probably live a 100 years or so. But we don't have any prooves about it, so we simply don't know. :)

Well while she is a terminan the two races are exactly alike in the physical sense in addition to their medicinal prowess. The only real differences between hylians and terminans are their religious beliefs. And also the witch in the second potion shop in kakariko in the future is also obvously ultra old. There is no way of knowing for sure how old they are unless nintendo decides to tell us. But from those small kernels of information i'd say somewhere around the same life expectancy that real life people (us) have which is generally around 80 years with some exceptions.

peanutjoepap

Mr. Peanut
Well they would have to live longer than normal humans because in the middle ages people only lived to be 30 to 35 years old if your lucky. While in Zelda we see many elderly people that have little or no magical powers. Though it is a rare sight to ever see a sick Hylian so that may mean there are less germs in hyrule than in the middle agesof our world.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Though it is a rare sight to ever see a sick Hylian so that may mean there are less germs in hyrule than in the middle agesof our world.

There are a couple possible reasons why it's rare to see a sickly hylian. One explaination is that there are less harmful bacteria in the world of hyrule as you stated. Another is that they have very good medicinal prowess as i stated above. Third they have very very very strong immune systems. We really may never know.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I think that all the Hylians are like normal people but that Tingle lives on forever making it really annoying since he pops up in different games.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think that Hylians age just like regular humans and live roughly the same lifespans that we do in industrialized countries - and maybe just a bit longer because their medicine is based upon what is, in their world, very real magic. I also like to think that they're generally more willing to help one another when one of their own falls sick than what goes on in our world - but, there is that (human) doctor in TP who was very demanding of money before he'd do a darn thing for anyone...

So, I'd say 80 years or so, for those that are lucky not to die in battle and so forth. After all, we see aged Hylians hobbling around all the time.

I have gotten this idea in my head that Link never enjoys the normal/long Hylian lifespan. Think about it - he lives a hero's life and, as a result, as a hero's body. I imagine for all the heals and fairies he uses, he probably still gets a lot of wear and tear on it, which means he probably "gets old quickly" interanlly like many people in heavy/physically demanding professions. This kind of wear is probably reduced when his adventure happens ONLY in his childhood years as young bodies are resilient, but in the games in which his adventure is as an adult/teeenager, he probably suffers more wear. And, of course, there's the idea that as Hero, he probably feels some great protective obligation to Hyrule, so if danger arises, he's going right into it.

It's a running thing with my fanfictions (in which death is brought up) that "Link never outlives Zelda."

Yes, I'm cruel.

No. Anju's Grandmother in MM is not an Hylian, she's a Terminian.

I think you're confusing "Hylian" with "Hyrulean."

Link is a Hylian Hyrulean
Anju would be a Hylian Terminian
Darunia would be a Goron Hyrulean
etc.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I think you're confusing "Hylian" with "Hyrulean."

Link is a Hylian Hyrulean
Anju would be a Hylian Terminian
Darunia would be a Goron Hyrulean
etc.

Seriously. What?

Link is a Hylian. Darunia would have been a hyrulian or hyrulean. Anju/ Anju's grandmother in MM is just a Terminian.

C

Colin Creevey

Hayzer's definining the difference between race/species and nationality. I'm a human Canadian and Link's a hylian Hyrulean. Get it?

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Hayzer's definining the difference between race/species and nationality. I'm a human Canadian and Link's a hylian Hyrulean. Get it?

Yes. However Anju is not Hylian. At least I seriously doubt she is. The Hylians are the rare and magical ones with elf ears. I.E Link and Zelda. Anju is just a random and unimportant character. In MM she certainly isnt Hylian as they aren't even in Hyrule. She is a terminian.

Yes. However Anju is not Hylian. At least I seriously doubt she is. The Hylians are the rare and magical ones with elf ears. I.E Link and Zelda. Anju is just a random and unimportant character. In MM she certainly isnt Hylian as they aren't even in Hyrule. She is a terminian.

Anju has pointy ears...Just because she's random doesn't mean jack. "Hylian" basically means that they are humans with pointy ears. That's it. Nothing about their nationality is included within the word "Hylian." "Hyrulean," however, is a nationality. "Terminian" is a nationality, not a race. Anju is a Hylian Terminian.

Plus, all the people in HCT in OoT were Hylians...The humans didn't pop up until TP (non pointy ears)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

So what you're saying is that if a charcter in a zelda is hylian then they have to have magical properties, pointy ears, and non randomness? So that would mean in let's say oot the only hylians in the entire game are Zelda, Rauru, and Link? I highly doubt that. Plus Terminans and Hylians have no physical differences whatso ever. Termanans have pointy ears and so do Hylians, Terminans though not as obvious as Hylians have magical properties, and finally they have the same life span. I say somewhere around 80 years still for both cuz of their medicinal prowess.

Zarom

The King
Terminian and Hylians aren't the same people. And Anju isn't a Hylian. She's a Terminian.

In TP, it is stated this: ''The Hylians are the closest race to the gods'' and ''but they say there exist a race even closer to the gods than the Hylians... ....The Ooccas actually made the Hylians'' So, Hylians only exist in Hyrule and are a race who is close to the gods. Plus, in OOT, there is someone who says: ''We Hylians have big ears in order to hear the gods, but I never heard them...''
So, Anju isn't an Hylian, as well as all the others Terminian because the gods in MM aren't the same as the ones in OOT.

Terminian and Hylians aren't the same people. And Anju isn't a Hylian. She's a Terminian.

In TP, it is stated this: ''The Hylians are the closest race to the gods'' and ''but they say there exist a race even closer to the gods than the Hylians... ....The Ooccas actually made the Hylians'' So, Hylians only exist in Hyrule and are a race who is close to the gods. Plus, in OOT, there is someone who says: ''We Hylians have big ears in order to hear the gods, but I never heard them...''
So, Anju isn't an Hylian, as well as all the others Terminian because the gods in MM aren't the same as the ones in OOT.

Umm...what?

TERMINIAN is a nationality. HYRULEAN is a nationality. HYLIAN is a race that can be any nationality. Are you also suggesting that the Gorons in MM aren't Gorons because they live in Termina? Good luck with that.

By your logic Gorons are not Gorons in Termina and Zoras aren't Zoras in Termina. They're Terminians.

What?

That obviously makes no sense. All the people you meet in Termina that look like Hylians are Hylians.

'Nuff said.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Umm...what?

TERMINIAN is a nationality. HYRULEAN is a nationality. HYLIAN is a race that can be any nationality. Are you also suggesting that the Gorons in MM aren't Gorons because they live in Termina? Good luck with that.

By your logic Gorons are not Gorons in Termina and Zoras aren't Zoras in Termina. They're Terminians.

What?

That obviously makes no sense. All the people you meet in Termina that look like Hylians are Hylians.

'Nuff said.

Uh huh comletely true Hayzer. Hylian is a race, Hyrulean is a nationality, Termianan is a nationality.

Dude who's to say the non believers in the goddesses of the Hylian race migrated and claimed Termina as their own land. They easily could've done this like Link did in MM. And also the reason Hylians don't usually here the Gods is because the Gods rarely choose anybody for anything. Most of the time just Link or Zelda are chosen. And also the reason the Gods call upon the Hylians more often is because the Oocca simply don't fit their needs. Can you see one of those things take on something like Ganon without dying? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom