• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Left-Handed Option? Should There Be One...

Left-handed Option? Should there be one...

• Nah, it'd be difficult/expensive to make two versions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't really matter, either way

• Yes! How will the lefties play it without it?

• Total voters

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm honestly a little irritated that the technical limitations of the Wii mean that we're stuck with a right-handed Link. Being left-handed was one of his signature traits, and I'm a bit annoyed that it was taken away merely because most people will hold the remote in their right hand.

That is one thing I hate about the Wii design most... it makes the games far less accessible for left-handed people than the old controller-based games were. It's specifically tailored for only the majority.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well while it does kind of suck that you won't be able to play left handed, I think left-handed gamers are pretty used to using analog sticks with their left hand.

Using an analog stick with your non-dominant hand is a lot easier than using a Wii Remote, though. The Wii remote involves a lot more precise motion, and feels more like really using your hand.

Din Akera

Sniper
I'm honestly a little irritated that the technical limitations of the Wii mean that we're stuck with a right-handed Link. Being left-handed was one of his signature traits, and I'm a bit annoyed that it was taken away merely because most people will hold the remote in their right hand.

I couldn't agree more. I am a huge fan of the fact hat Link is left handed. I can't even really tell you why, I guess it is just tradition.
I'm very disappointed to hear there will be no left handed option for the 11% of the world that needs it. But I'm curious as to where you saw this interview, could you post a link?

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Well it isn't too hard to adapt from left handed to right handed with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck I mean, I was left-handed, I played Wii Sports, Rayman Raving Rabbids, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Wii Play, and Twilight Princess. After many days of playing with my right hand, I've gotten used to it. (specially with Twilight Princess XD). So yeah, it isn't too hard to change, and you have lots of time to change too. Till next year of course. Just play Twilight Princess or Super Mario Galaxy 2 (or other) and you'll eventually get used to it!

I'll still play left-handed. I don't care that Link won't mirror my movements.

It annoys me, though, that people think it's so easy for lefties to play right-handed. I'm not right-handed. How about we design a lefty-only game and make the righties switch? Huh?

(No, not bitter at all...)

I don't see the problem here. A dominant hand option isn't much. And as they said, it would take much more time to recreate Link's character model so that he was left handed. Also, I've seen some people here at ZD who were left-handed say that it was difficult for them to play Twilight Princess with a Wii Remote in their left hand and the Nunchuk in the right because all Nintendo controllers before had the analog stick on the left.

Athenian200 said:
Same here. I have no problem with a right-handed Link, but he is known for being left-handed, so it would be nice to at least get the option, though I'd still go right-handed, since I am, well, right-handed.

ancazur said:
It annoys me, though, that people think it's so easy for lefties to play right-handed. I'm not right-handed. How about we design a lefty-only game and make the righties switch? Huh?
No. That wouldn't make any sense, no offense. The lefties are a minority, so it's easier to have them play a right-handed game. There are more people that are right-handed, so if that happened, it might cause dissatisfaction, and that means loss of money.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Well while it does kind of suck that you won't be able to play left handed, I think left-handed gamers are pretty used to using analog sticks with their left hand.
I'm left handed, and yes I use my right hand for a lot of things like holding the wii-remote in TP. But you can't understand the discussion when you are right-handed, left-handed people are forced to use there right hand a lot during their lives. Maybe you've tried to use your left had once but probably just for fun. What I wanted to say is that it doesn't matter if Link is left- or right-handed. A wii-remote is not a real sword, it weights almost nothing. For me it doesn't really matters wheter I have to play right- or left-handed. BUT that's the same with right-handed people. They can wear the remote lefthanded without any trouble, if you use it often you'll learn it (the first time you played TP you had to learn the controlers too). So IMO Nintendo should've made it left-handed, it doesn't matter and Link has allways been left-handed (it was the only game). It's really a shame Nintendo changed it, they don't understand because they are right-handed.

No. That wouldn't make any sense, no offense. The lefties are a minority, so it's easier to have them play a right-handed game. There are more people that are right-handed, so if that happened, it might cause dissatisfaction, and that means loss of money.
If there is a left handed only game, I will buy it, only just for the fact it is the first game that doesn't discriminate left-handed players. And I'm sure a lot of other left-handed persons will buy it too.

Well, I'm left handed but I play TP right handed. It's not like I'm going to use my right hand to move around, do you know how awkward that is?

Every gamer knows that the dpad or main joystick is with the left thumb so having your sword in your left hand would make it difficult to move.

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
Every gamer knows that the dpad or main joystick is with the left thumb so having your sword in your left hand would make it difficult to move.
having my sword in my left hand would not make it difficult to move. Link is left handed, that's his thing, he wouldn't struggle with movement if holding his sword in his left hand, same goes for all the ranged weapons. if you are left handed, it would be hard to shoot an arrow with the wiimote in your right hand, am I right? Take Wii Sport Resort for example, to shoot an arrow, one has to drag the nunchuck back, aim carefully, then release, as if you were pulling the string of a bow. i don't doubt that this function will be in Skyward Sward as well, considering it also uses wii motion plus. it is hard to aim precisely with your right hand if you are left handed in my opinion. And remember that all the items in SS will require WMP, so it will definitely make it more challenging for me and most of the left handed gamers.

It'd be nice if they made a Wii mote with a joystick so you could move with it and be left handed... not trying to bash you or anything though I agree there should be a left hand option.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Well, Nintendo has said that there is no left/right option, so this thread is kinda self explanatory... they said no option, so why does this thread exists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom