• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Least Favorite Zelda Game

What is your least favorite Zelda game?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Seaons

• Oracle of Ages

• Four Swords

• Wind Waker

• Four Swords Adventures

• Minish Cap

• Twighlight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well, I looked, and I have to say I can't believe no one has created a thread like this one before.
Simple, what's you LEAST favorite Zelda game. This time, I'm letting you off the hook, you don't need to say why, it would just be most appreciated. (lucky you, huh? :embarrassed: )

So, mine would be, besides the ones that I've never played, Phantom Hourglass. This game is just... Terrible. I thought there was way too much ocean, there was--- WOAH! How did I already start there? 1. SOUNTRACK!!! Where the heck did it go? There were only like 25 tracks literally. And they all stunk! Except 2, Linebeck and Bellum boss fight. But that's 2, out of only 25! 2. Like I already said, there's too much ocean. 3. I thought the story was lagging in interestingness. Sprit Tracks barely made the story better, and a lot of other things were better in that game too. 4. Heart Containers. Where'd you put my pieces? Yes this is a complaint for ST also. 5. You had to bring the fairy back... And this time she lost her memory. Greeeaaat.
Another little thing that really ticks me off is how it plays the Master Sword theme when you get the Phantom Sword. Uhhhh what the heck?

So, yeah. What's the Zelda game that just makes you :sick:

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I hated PH. It was just a disgrace to the entire series. I honestly thought a sequel to WW was not needed whatsoever.

My least favorite game is Wind Waker.

I just want to clarify two things. First, this is only considering the games I've actually played. If I were to have played Phantom Hourglass, I suspect I would be putting that here instead of WW. Second, you have to realize how highly I think of the Zelda series. Saying it's my least favorite isn't really saying much for me.

My reasons for liking WW the least? Well... first off it follows the trend of the modern Zelda games, and that includes being too easy, dropping more classic elements, etc.. I thought it was the easiest Zelda game, and that bugged me. Second, I thought the boat was a good idea, but I don't believe it was executed that well. There was very little time spent on land. Land gameplay has always been part of the Zelda series, and I thought that with the exception of dungeons, WW largely phased this out. If they were going to make a game with so much sailing, then I think they should have polished it more so that it was funner, had more to do, etc.. Really, the improper execution of the sailing is my key issue with WW.

You made some nice points, Axel. I found WW very easy, nevertheless it was an amazing game :)
On to the question at hand: PH or ST. I could hardly pick up PH for a day it was that bad. I didn't like using the stylus to move, the boat system, the dungeons, mostly everything about it. All in all, I don't like LoZ for the DS. ST I did like better than PH though, but I still really didn't like either.

Austin

Austin
I also don't care for WW. In addition to the points Axle raised, I also did not feel that the dungeons were designed very well. Look at the Forbidden Woods for example. I can't tell one room in that place apart from another without looking at my map. The Tower of Gods bothered me as well. I've gone on rant about this particular dungeon elsewhere so I won't go to far into it, but my main issue was that it simply didn't look like a Tower of the Gods. Everything was too grey and simple.... it looked like a back alley, not a place dedicated the creators of the universe.

I'm also one of those people who hated the cel-shaded graphics. While this may be a bit subjective, it really prevented my immersion in the story. I just couldn't take anything seriously. And sailing combat was AWFUL. I simply don't understand why using arrows and bombs on your ship couldn't be like using your bow while riding Epona; instead of stopping and essentially becoming a sitting duck while every enemy in the area mobs you, the boat should have simply kept moving in one direction as you took aim with the cannon/bow.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I don't really dislike any Zelda game, they all have their individual pros and cons I suppose, but none of them bad enough to truely dislike.

If I had to choose one it would be Wind Waker.
- The main reason is that I didn't like the new graphics at all, it was almost like Nintendo were targeting the game towards small children. This was despite the fact that my Zelda generation was growing up and out of the age of cartoons and expecting more life like graphics from the new Zelda.
- I loved the way that they had made a huge overworld, I hated the fact that they filled it with water. Seriously this may sound abit weird, but I felt the ocean was far too big. Not enough land, too much sailing which took too long in itself.
- Finally, I didn't like the part of the game where you had to go around getting charts for islands so that you could find the pieces of the Triforce. There was a point where I stopped playing for a couple of months just because it had become very tedious.

Don't get me wrong, I love WW but it's my least favourite of all the Zelda games.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I also have to say that I like Wind Waker the least (I haven't played FS/MC/PH/ST so I can't say anything about them but I've gotten a little farther into OoS and OoA now, time to update my sig... and the latter two games are definitely not bad).
In a nutshell, it's the only console Zelda game that I don't want to finish. I did a more lengthy rant about it a while ago, so I won't get into detail here. For those who are interested: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?p=102427#post102427

I noticed that WW seems to be the most controversial game here. Many love it and apparently have it as their favourite Zelda game (so many Toon Zelda sigs here), but some including me actually dislike it...

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
My least favorite is definitely Twilight Princess. Not only does it feel nothing like Zelda, it hardly looks it. While Midna was an awesome character, she's worse than Navi when it comes to directing you through the game. It was over simplified enough as it was, so there was no need for her to hold the player's hand through the entire game. What really bothered me is that TP went with the overly dark and emo trend-- "tears of twilight" and playing as a wolf, and "omgah Hyrule's in angsty perilllll" type of bull. People aren't drawn to TP or Twilight or Alice in Wonderland or whatever "dark" stuff for it's quality, they're drawn to it because it's "dark". Oi. TP was just embarassing. And then, wtf enemies? They looked like aliens. It was a sci-fi Zelda game. Not cool. People were like, "Oh, the story is so deep," when it really isn't. People don't even notice that TWW's story was much darker, deeper, and detailed because they only see the cartoon art style. I know a lot of people like TP, but in my opinion, it's the absolute worst of the series.

Not saying I loathe it entirely- it is a Zelda game after all- but it's my least favorite.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I like every Zelda game I've played.

A while ago, I *would* have said Majora's Mask. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game - the story touches upon themes that really appeal to me and the NPCs are well-developed (as far as LoZ goes), I just really didn't like the save mechansim nor did I like the repetativeness of some of the gameplay (having to do certain things over after a time reset). Purely "gameplay annoyance" on my part. However, I've recently began playing MM for a second run, and now that I know what I'm doing (and have figured out those stupid owl statues) it is much more enjoyable.

So, of the games that I've played, I'd have to say Wind Waker. I didn't like the endless sailing, nor that if an enemy hit you, you plopped out of the boat and had to scramble back in to get anything done (Field enemies in TP I could run over with my horse or keep figthing if I was knocked off my horse - get knocked out of the King of Red Lions and you must scramble not to drown! Lame!) . Also, something about the whole oceanic theme, pirates, cannoandes and such struck me as "not being the Zelda that I've known." I grew up with the original Zelda and ZeldaII... to me, Zelda is lands, woods, the occaisional dangerous desert... when I got to play A Link to the Past, that was there, TP, the land/woods theme was there, Oot and MM... the "high seas adventure" of Wind Waker just felt kind of jarring after all that. Though... I do like the game, I think it's adorable and has a nice storybook quality to it... and Wind Waker Ganondorf is my favorite version of Ganny.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
AoL hands down. That doesn't even feel like a Zelda game. I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again, it's the only Zelda game that's a side scroller and you have to level up. Plus the clues are too vague and the fact that you have to travel across the entire map everytime you start is frustrating. Even with the hammer it doesn't do much for you.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Honestly, I can see why Wind Waker might have been a number of people's least favorite Zelda, but it's really a mistake to rate any of the 3D titles so low. Not only does Phantom Hourglass magnify all of its conceptual flaws, but it also takes several steps backward in difficulty, dungeon design, art direction, music, and control, all on top of reducing the amount of areas and content. Anybody who legitimately hated WW had no reason to hate it more than PH.

Finally, I didn't like the NES games. The original's free-roaming style prevented dungeon design from being anything but mazes full of enemies, and finding the necessary rupees and bombs was tedious as all get out. Zelda II didn't fare much better, separating exploration and actual gameplay to an extent that constantly annoyed me, and the inclusion of lava and bottomless pits in later levels was just a punch in the gut in an already unreasonably hard game. Both games were also criminally short, if you don't count the constant dead-ends and game overs that padded out the length. They're really just not very good games today- even compared to the criminally bad DS installments.

Personally, I treat PH and ST as kind of a package deal- kind of like the Oracles in the number of real differences between them, so after PH I'd say ST, for not actually making the game tangibly better. In fact, the only 2D games I can really claim to like were LttP and the GB/A games, which actually managed to improve vastly on the same basic engine and mechanics through great world/level design and challenging yet surmountable dungeons. I'd also have to agree with Shadsie's issues with MM- the game's greatness was really dragged down by the pointlessly harsh save system.
And oooh, you people saying you don't like TP just makes me so maaaaad

My least favorite is definitely Twilight Princess. Not only does it feel nothing like Zelda, it hardly looks it. While Midna was an awesome character, she's worse than Navi when it comes to directing you through the game. It was over simplified enough as it was, so there was no need for her to hold the player's hand through the entire game. What really bothered me is that TP went with the overly dark and emo trend-- "tears of twilight" and playing as a wolf, and "omgah Hyrule's in angsty perilllll" type of bull. People aren't drawn to TP or Twilight or Alice in Wonderland or whatever "dark" stuff for it's quality, they're drawn to it because it's "dark". Oi. TP was just embarassing. And then, wtf enemies? They looked like aliens. It was a sci-fi Zelda game. Not cool. People were like, "Oh, the story is so deep," when it really isn't. People don't even notice that TWW's story was much darker, deeper, and detailed because they only see the cartoon art style. I know a lot of people like TP, but in my opinion, it's the absolute worst of the series.

Not saying I loathe it entirely- it is a Zelda game after all- but it's my least favorite.
I gotta agree with you, except for the fact that WW bugged me a bit more. WW's issues for me entirely revolved around the gameplay. Design, story, aesthetics, all brilliant.

While I don't feel quite as strongly about the themes of Twilight Princess as you do, I also agree with you that they didn't really fit so well and it was made dark "just 'cause". I think it in a way betrays the spirit of Zelda. If they are going to do another Zelda with it's realistic style, then I hope they combine it with cel-shading and make the story lighter.

T

TMMay

While I like all of the Zelda games, my least favorite has to be ST.

Spirit Tracks was kind of easy for me. I mean, I do like it, but for some reason, it didn't stick out for me. The train was also kind of boring and slow. While I can see why some people like it, this game wasn't as good as the ones before.

eponafan

Midna fan also
I LOVED PH, but ST is almost as good... Anyway, my least favorite was probably AOL, but I still play it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom