• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Least Favorite Generation/Games?

Least favorite Generation/Games

• Generation 1 - Red, Blue, Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation 1 remakes - FireRed/LeafGreen

• Generation 2 - Gold, Silver, Crystal

• Generation 2 remakes - HeartGold/SoulSilver

• Generation 3 - Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald

• Generation 4 - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum

• Generation 5 - Black/White, Black 2/White 2

• Total voters
I had fun with every game as I was playing them through. However I think Ruby and Sapphire were the weakest simply because I don't remember them. I vaguely remember some of the pokemon, but none of the names (there was a palm tree brachiosaurus...?), and in general I think they were just unremarkable.

Dan

Generation 3 I don't know why but I just aren't as fond on that generation as the others. I like all the Games but ruby and co always seem like the weakest link when it comes to pokemon generations.

Fig

The Altruist
Truthfully, I can't say I don't like any generation of Pokemon, because each generation is special in their own way. Because of this, I can't find anything to be mad about any generation. Maybe somethings could have been added to make the game more fun and unique, but other than that, I can't say I dislike a generation just for minor quirks that could have been developed better as the game was coming into the stores.

I have always felt that Gen III was a bit lacking compared to other Generations. I think the Gen III Pokémon weren't that great, but there are some good ones no doubt. The story wasn't really that excititing and there isn't really good places to train your Pokémon after you beat the Elite four, Although I do praise Gen III for the game mechanics they introduced which really helped Gen IV and V.

I have grown used to them, but I HATED the Sapphire/Ruby games when they came out. Seriously. The reason behind this is that I thought the Pokemon from the Anime (I usually watched the one in Kanto) would be in the game, and they weren't v.v They brought in so many new Pokemon and I thought they were ugly xD

I have grown found of Sapphire now, however. It's where I caught my beautiful, now level 100 Dodrio brands, my baby ^.^

This is definitely an interesting question. To me, all of the generations were great in their own way, but it's really hard to rate them or put them in order. I've been playing Pokemon for the greater part of my life and have played at least two games in every generation. Let's make an analysis on each generation, shall we?

Generation 1: I really love generation one. It's captured my heart ever since I put my Fire Red cartridge into my GameBoy Advance and started my adventure with Charmander. It wasn't the first Pokemon game I played, but it was the first one I actually got into. (More on that later.) This generation really has a lasting appeal: it has beaten the test of time. Many gamers still play this game, and almost all of them hold it into high regard.

In my opinion, Generation 1's Pokemon Designs were superb: They were all so grand. (There were no Pokemon based off of garbage bags) From dragons to seahorses, Generation 1 really had it all. Who could resist a kawaii Squirtle and Bulbasaur, but feel intimidated by a Blastoise and a Venasaur? After all, these guys made memories. All of my favorite designs were from Red and Blue. I mean, come on. You've gotta love these guys.

2r6dz74.jpg

When it came to story, Generation 1 was lacking. There really wasn't much to it: defeat Team Rocket. Of course you could complete the Pokedex and become the Indago League Champion, but I've always thought that was more of a side thing considering that you do that in every Pokemon game. Now don't get me wrong, the story is still great, and all of the other teams are just rip-offs of Team Rocket, but there really isn't much depth to it. Giovanni really brought this game up: he was actually a very complex character, but if you just played the games there wasn't very much to notice. Now, Giovanni is secretly the leader of Team Rocket, but everyone in Kanto knows him as a Gym Leader. I really wish that Nintendo would have brought this out a little more, but what's done is done.

So all in all, I'd have to give Generation 1 an 8/10. It's an incredibly superb game, just not flawless.

Generation 2: Pokemon Crystal/Gold/Silver were revolutionary games, not to mention some of my favorites in the Pokemon series. This particular generation holds a lot of sentimental value to me, plus ChugaaConroy did a superb Let's Play to Crystal. (Only second to NintendoCapriSun's Let's Play of Majora's Mask, in my opinion.) It really fixed a lot of problems that were in the first generation: there wasn't very many glitches in this one, and it was the first Pokemon Generation to introduce shiny Pokemon, genders of Pokemon, and the first time the player to choose to be a female.

Generation 2 still had outstanding designs, minus a few really stupid ones. (Dunsparce, I'm looking at you. Why do you exist?) Totodile, Cyndaquil, and Chikorita were still up to par with the first generations, although Cyndaquil is definitely lacking compared to it's first generation's counterpart. This still holds a lot of my favorite Pokemon: Scizor: sleek and menacing, and Ampharos: cute but powerful. It also added the adorable baby Pokemon. Who doesn't love the sweet Magby?

swzib4.jpg

This series' story was a step up from the original series. Team Rocket is back and hell-bent on vengeance, but a new force of good comes to save the day: you. In these games, you first meet Team Rocket as a few renegades in a well, but they slowly regroup until they're a force to be reckoned with yet again. The characters were more developed, and after you took out Johto,you could even return to Kanto for yet another journey: the Gym Leaders were back and brilliant. The whole thing leads into the most exciting battle in the series: a battle with the boy who originally took down Team Rocket. That's right, Red. (Or Ash Keatchum. They're pretty much the same character.)

This game continued the amazing tradition that is Pokemon. To me, it's a tied with the first generation: 8/10.

Generation 3: Well, let's just say that the Hoenn region had its highs and lows. Although the GameBoy Advance enabled the Pokemon journey to go to distances it had never been before, it didn't have the same feeling as the first two games. I still absolutely love the game, but it's hard to take down legends like R/B and G/S. Not to mention that Emerald was incredibly superior to Ruby And Sapphire. The story finally felt complete. If you were to only play R/S, I feel like you wouldn't get to know the whole story: you would only fight either Team Magma or Team Aqua, leaving you with a bias at the end of the game.

So I heard you like Mudkips. Yes, the Hoenn Region had some very strong Pokemon Designs, and some very weak Pokemon Designs. On one side you have some badass metal bird, yet on the other you have some total Pikachu ripoffs. The starters were still up to par with the other versions, yet some of the other designs didn't really keep up with the trend. I have nothing against some of the final evolutions, but the first evolutions... well, I don't like to fight with mushrooms, do you?

af78yf.jpg

The story of generation three... was really not very good. Not only was it boring, but it took away from the game as a whole. It introduced two new teams: Team Aqua and Team Magma. Like I said before, if you only play Ruby or Sapphire, you won't get the full effect, because you'll actually team up with either Team Aqua or Magma depending on your version, and take the other team out. It's only in Emerald Version that you realize that both of the teams are wrong. Very wrong. Aqua and Magma really couldn't even compare to Team Rocket, really. If you ask me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, this game really didn't compare to the first two. I've gotta give it a 7/10.

Generation 4: The Pokemon genre felt anew when you first put your Diamond/Pearl cartridge into your brand-spanking-new DS. I really enjoyed these games, and it really defined how a Pokemon game would fit into the next generation of consoles. With colorful new sprites, and a fantastic soundtrack, this series really reincarnated the Pokemon franchise after the fall during the third Generation.

The designs in Generation 4 were also fantastic, and they almost can give the first two generations a run for it's money yet again. There were really no stupidly dumb designs this time. The starters were yet again amazing, and the legendaries didn't disappoint. Piplup, Chimchar, and Turtwig are all amazing Pokemon: what you'd expect from a franchise like this. Not to mention they had a great support cast, filled with the Shinx evolution line, the Gible evolution line, and even the Starly evolution line. These powerful characters made your team formidable to any foe.

35jmjyu.jpg

The story of Generation four was up to par, but nothing special. Team Galactic was a nice breath of air after that weird Team Magma/Aqua thing, and the Elite Four in this generation were truly elite. Cynthia's Milotic still gives me nightmares every once in a while. (Mirror Coat... Augh.) I still play these games a lot, and my main party is still on my Platinum game. After you finish this game, there's still just so much to do. You can conquer the Battle Frontier, you can master the Pokemon Contests, and if you're really bored, you can decorate your own Villa. That's right: you get a house even as a child in this one.

This generation is what you'd expect out of the newest Pokemon game, and it's almost as good as generation 1 and 2. I'll give it a 7.5/10.

Generation 5: Let's face it, a lot of people really don't like Generation 5, but they're just a bunch of hipsters who think they're cool. Sure, it might not have been as good as the other games, but I'm not whining about it. Pokemon is Pokemon, it's fantastic no matter what. It's like the Korra vs. Avatar argument: both series are fantastic, but one series is a bit better than the other. And come on, it really wasn't even that bad. Some of the designs just weren't... all there.

Needless to say, the Pokemon Designs in this generation just really weren't up to par. The starter Pokemon all started out fine, but then they just all turn into hideous monsters. It wasn't like the other generations where they still had their original appeal, they were just kind of... ugly. An otter turned into some weird four legged creature, and a grass snake turned into a Milotic wanna-be. But if you look past some of the designs, you'll see these games aren't as bad as it's panned out to be.

r9ewyd.jpg

The story of this Pokemon generation is really what brought the series back to life. To me, it was the best story of all the Pokemon games: it was just so different and fresh. You actually have three rivals, so the game is definitely challenging enough, not to mention that the mysterious Pokemon Trainer N is always an interesting sight to see. He grew up with only Pokemon, and believes that they're not being treated equally. Eventually, he befriends one of the legendary dragons, and attempts to save all Pokemon, but ultimately fails. The story was absolutely brilliant. Almost flawless, in fact. It more than made up for some of the weaker Pokemon Designs.

All things considered, this game gets a 7/10 for me. It's tied for last with Generation 3.

Well, here comes the question at last: What is your least favorite Pokemon Generation? After analyzing all of the games, it's safe to say that it's a tie between Generation 3 and 5. All of the games are great, those ones just weren't as good.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Whelp. I honestly can't top what PK Flash typed, but I'll make this a simple answer.

I was very unimpressed with Black & White (Gen V). Everything from Pokémon to characters, it was all poorly done. I will admit that I had a little bit of fun playing it, but it didn't last long. In addition, I also felt that Gen 3 had pretty weak games. I felt that Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald lacked creativity in their Pokémon severely.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My least favorite generation, along with the games, goes to Gen V. The Pokemon design didn't feel "cool" to me. I don't know if this is because nostalgia or my ardent love for Chikorita, but I REALLY abhorred the Pokemon design! Sorry for those of you who liked it, this is just a personal opinion.

Also, one other thing that really hit home was that Gen V felt like a watered down "more of the same" thing than any previous generation has, like ever. I haven't played BW2 yet, but BW felt uninspired and pretty dull.

I would go and attack Gen III for the very same reason, but I prefer Gen III PKMN design to Gen V so it gets an extra few points.

Final Vote: Gen V and BW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom