• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lanayru's Vision and the creation of the Sacred Realm

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I'm sure that everyone who posts here regularly are familiar with the vision provided by Lanayru in TP. However I'm curious as to what you all think of the original Japanese dialogue vs. NoA's translation.

http://forums.legendsalliance.com/topic/17437-lanayrus-speech/

As shown in the original wording, what we call the Dark Interlopers were never supposed to be referred to as foreigners or interlopers, but rather as extremely powerful sorcerers that had stepped forward to claim Hyrule (the Holy Land) and the Triforce (as hinted by the erection of the very visage of the Fused Shadows).

One of the major things that had struck me as odd during Lanayru's vision is that the Triforce is not shown shining above a plain of an ethereal state, but rather over the same grassy hill that it formed over, leading me to believe that the Triforce hadn't yet had the chance to be sealed away yet.

Hyrule is already shown to be in a state of turmoil before the Twili show up, a state in which the people (or even peoples) of Hyrule are consumed by greed, willing to strike down anyone who gets in between them and the possible riches and glamour that could be awarded to them by the Triforce.

My theory is that, as evidenced by the fact that Hyrule was already in a state of turmoil, that the ancestors of the Twili weren't invading Hyrule, but rather just stepping forward to try to claim Hyrule and the Triforce for themselves as one if it's either residents or nearby-neighbors. This is evidenced by the fact we see Link, who is in and of himself supposed to symbolize the people of Hyrule, run forward towards the Triforce; only to be *poofed* away by the sorcerers and converted into one of them.

The idea that they're quite very related to the Dark Tribe that long ago created Majora's Mask is definitely not one lost on me. In fact the do appear very similar in many ways. I personally think though that the magic wielded by the Twili is simply one of darkness and deceit. The point of the vision being shown to us via Link is not to illustrate to us the creation of the Twili; but rather to illustrate to us that "Those who do not the dangers of power will soon be consumed by it."

I believe that this conflict being shown to us not only illustrates to us the origins of the Twili's ancestors and they're subsequent sealing, but also the creation of the Sacred Realm as a place for the Triforce to be hidden away from the eyes of man. The setting shown to us at the beginning seems to be one of not only peace, but also of childhood innocence as Ilia and Link watch in awe as Hyrule unfolds before them. Having played Skyward Sword, I'm almost instantly reminded of the same gaze that Link and Zelda share before they gaze back upon the open world that is to become Hyrule at the end of the game. The Triforce has been shown to make Hyrule, the green land itself its home as it shines upon the newly made residents of the Surface. At some point between SS and OoT, the Triforce finds itself in the Sacred Realm. While a warning had been made that the Triforce should be sealed away from the reach of man, SS Link and Zelda seem none to hurried to make sure that takes place.

What I believe is shown is the Goddesses decision to seal it away themselves. Zelda and Link I'm sure saw the usefulness of the Triforce in the settlement of Hyrule, but I believe their oversight laid within the fact that they did not believe that the Hylians would be as consumed by greed as they ended up actually being. Seeing as how greed itself had seemed to be destroyed along with Demise, I almost don't blame them for taking the stance that they had taken. They pretty much figured that they and the rest of Skyloft had found themselves in the middle of golden age, and that such precautions would not be neccesary.

What do you think? Is there anything you can think of that would disprove this, or does this theory pretty much check out?

Last edited:
Your theory seems pretty spot on the sequance of events seems to be SS Link and Zelda get the triforce and keep it in the open , The greed of man and the Dark Interlopers them selves (Who I believe is the same as the dark tribe from MM but that theory deserves its own thread on why I think so but long story short the Fused Shadows were inspired by Majora`s mask in their creation and powers ) this lead to the ancient sages and the goddesses to seal away the triforce in the sacred realm and the temple of time being built in hyrule castle town (the master sword being moved from the goddess statue to the new temple of time being used as one of the keys to the sacred realm) and by the time of OOT the fact that the temple of time is the key to the sacred realm is only known by a few select individuals and anyone else just thinks its a legend.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
The term "Dark Interlopers" is something I think NoA just came up with to kinda further paint the Twili as this (while somewhat human) very uncanny group of alien aggressors.

Kind of what I was arguing though is that the Ancient Sorcerers (just a term I'm coining for convenience) were really just a cult of highly skilled humans/Hylians that sprung up to seize the Triforce when they saw the opportunity. Their vileness almost makes me want to think that the magic they practiced may be able to be traced back to Demise... It does seem very similar to Ghirahim in many respects

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Japanese translation: The place where the goddesses first landed is called the holy land.

American Text: The lands where the goddesses descended came to be known as the Sacred Realm.

“Holy Land” is obviously just a different term referring to the Sacard Realm.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
Excerpts from the link I gave for the direct translation:

Quotes from Lanayru

しかし、やがて聖地ハイラルを巡り争いが起こった
But at length, a rivalry ensued over Hyrule, the holy land.

神々が最初に降り立った地は聖地と呼ばれ
The place where the goddesses first landed is called the holy land. (Note: landed. In NoA's translation, they erroneously say "descended" as in the leaving, but Hyrule is being referred to as the Holy Land because it is where the Goddesses first touched down, or entered.)

強力な魔力によって聖地を治めようとした
With powerful sorcery, they tried to rule the holy land. (This is referring to the ancient sorcerers.)

Excerpt from Hyrulian Knight NPC

ハイラルは 昔から聖地と呼ばれ 今はハイラル王家のもと、信心深き人々に 守られておるが・・・
Hyrule has always been called the holy land, and even now it's protected by the royal family of Hyrule and by deeply faithful people, but…

Last edited:

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
The Sacred Realm is never quoted as having always had the Triforce within it. Hylia's whole purpose in existing was to watch over the Holy Land and the Triforce. With her watching, there really was no reason to keep it sealed away. The arrival of Demise is what changed all that, and Hylia herself saw that so she sent it up with Skyloft as it descended in order to keep Demise from reaching it. Although the Silent Realm in which the Triforce is kept I believe plays a precursor to the Sacred Realm, in regards to Sky Keep.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom