• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help "iTunes Requires QuickTime?" HELP!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Okay...so recently I've been trying to update iTunes, but each time I did this a message would pop up, reading "The required files could not be found." Naturally baffled, I tried everything I could think of: rebooting the computer, uninstalling/reinstalling, and lastly searching and deleting all the files so that I could start anew. Nothing I took a stab at worked, though...until I found Windows Install Clean Up just today. Excited, I looked around, found the iTunes product in the list, and removed the older version. Then I restarted the installation package, and it ran through without a hitch. Thinking I finally stumbled across triumph, I finished the process and went straight to the Desktop page, clicked the iTunes shortcut, and waited for the very short spell...for this to appear:

QuickTime failed to initialize (error -2096).

QuickTime is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall, then reinstall iTunes again.

Only this can express my reaction: Dumbstruck. And maybe a little pred. Why do I need to uninstall iTunes again? I thought. Of course I already have Quicktime up; I'm looking at the HD Transformers: Dark of the Moon "Hot Topic" ad right now to prove it. So that's installed all right, why isn't iTunes?

If anybody has experienced this problem before and managed to fix it, would you mind telling me how it was resolved? I've searched so many Apple Help pages and techie computer forums for the solution, only to come up with naught. But...any suggestions here?

Last edited:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Have you tried exiting Quicktime? It sounded like you had it running while working with iTunes. Sorry, that's all I can think of. Usually programs don't like to have something running when its installed. Other than that, good luck.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Have you tried exiting Quicktime? It sounded like you had it running while working with iTunes. Sorry, that's all I can think of. Usually programs don't like to have something running when its installed. Other than that, good luck.

I tried doing as you suggested, and even rebooted. No luck yet, but thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom