• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Ww Intended for Children???

it's debatable to say the least, i mean graphic style wise possibly but in terms of th actual game, personally i doubt it, there are alot of puzzles in the game that children won't be able to figure out without some type of walkthrough, it's like the first Zelda, most of us played it as children but we had alot of troubl with the puzzles until Nintendo Power helped us out

A

An Hero of Time

Considering how easy and short it was - yes, I'm pretty sure it was aimed at children. Then again, most Zelda games are.

And I'm a huge fan of WW btw, so I'm not dissing it or anything of that sort. It's just my honest opinion.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Not specifically. As with most Nintendo games, it targeted the widest audience possible. It's just a different, fresh style.

Let me backtrack a little. As I was busy working on the connectivity project, it wasn't as though the Wind Waker 2 project that I spoke of earlier came to a halt. Not at all. As some of you know, at E3 2004, we unveiled the game that would become Twilight Princess, the realistic Zelda game, and we announced that it was developed by the team that had been developing Wind Waker 2. Actually, there was a reason that that decision was made at the time. At one point, I had heard that even Wind Waker, which had reached the million mark in sales, had become sluggish in North America, where the market was much healthier than in Japan. I asked NOA why this was. What I was told was that the toon-shading technique was, in fact, giving the impression that this Zelda was for a younger audience and that, for this reason, it alienated the upper teen audience that had represented the typical Zelda player. Having heard that, I began to worry about whether Wind Waker 2, which used a similar presentation, was something that would actually sell. In addition, because we knew how difficult it would be to create an innovative way of playing using existing GameCube hardware, we knew what a challenge it would be to develop something that would do well in the Japanese market, where gamer drift was happening.
Aonuma, GDC 2007 keynote

It was not his intention to alienate the upper teen audience. There are many aspects that older audiences would enjoy, the graphics not necessarily being excluded.

Kaiser Kami

Warrior of Kaiser
Zelda is ment to be enjoyed by all but still there are some "mature" things one Zelda may have and the other doesn't. Wind Waker I say is ment for like 10 and up children cause a flood caused by a monster, killing everything and flooding the whole world where only a few hundred or a thousand survived? that's pretty dark for a game that looks like it is for younger kids. You also have the monsters, the dungeons, and the freakiest thing on the 7 seas...no not the Ghost Ship but...TINGLE'S LOOKOUT! Other than those things, and the story Wind Waker is not intended for kids in fact the only Zelda game intended for children is...that Tetra hide and seek game and Tingles games, but this is my opinion on this.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Okay, NOW I'm mad. Childish? CHILDISH?!? I LOVE that game and I've been playing it since I was 6, and I doubt that a game where you use a sword to kill bad guys is childish.
Okay, now that I've calmed down, I'll explain the probability of why it may be considered childish. I think that Nintendo may have wanted to try out the Japenese art of Anime to give Link a little fresh-up. And perhaps it's because the game takes place in another time period after Hyrule and they wanted to bring out a brand new hero with a child-like appearence. That's just my opinion.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I'd personally say that WW was intended for children and people saying the puzzles are too difficult I played and beat OoT when I was 4 with no help from my brothers and I didn't know what a FAQ was until my Bro-in-law told me about Gamefaqs that was 7 years ago.

Reasons are The cartoon like graphics which I enjoyed, no blood, the great fairies were clothed(Thank God) and you still had hints along the way kinda like Navi(King of Red Lions if no caught that.)

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I don't always know what people are talking about when saying WW is ridiculously easy. Maybe I just suck at Zelda, but I actually found it somewhat difficult. The fighting was decently easy (but it always is). The puzzles were decently difficult to figure out at times. Honestly, the Triforce Shard hunting was pretty tough to figure out. That's what took me the longest to do. I had a really hard time, to the point where I almost gave up on WW.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yes, I would say WW is suitable for children, teens and adults. The game is simple, yet at times would require patience with the bosses, or getting to a certain point in a dungeon. But, overall, I found the game suitable for children. Graphic wise and playability. If a children would have a hard time doing something in a game, that is what the parents are there for, anyway, so yeah. ^^

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
I am pretty sure WW's style was very popular in Japan where it was originally released. WW was good for attracting a new generation of Zelda fans, and I don't think many Zelda fans would just quit after WW (although some sadly did.) But I think WW is for all ages!

HylianPancake

The Pancake Pokemon
Ugh. No. It was not intended for Children. It was intended for Zelda fans. Just because you found it easy, doesn't mean somebody else didn't. And UGH! Stop complaining about Wind Waker's Graphics. You found them childish, that's your opinion. But they were not childish. They were cel-shaded, along with dozens of other video games that are just as good. And are you complaining about those? No. Wind Waker just had colorful graphics that were cel-shaded. Since when does that make a game childish?!? So, I think you can see what I'm trying to get at here.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Well, I guess it is for children. It's rated E for everyone. So that means it is for children and for Zelda fans.

But all the games except for Twilight Princess are E...

I do NOT think it was intended JUST for children. Like HylianPancake said just because you found it easy, doesn't mean other didn't. I've had a hard time with lots of things I'm finding on this site people are calling "easy" and I think I'm a pretty good gamer. The cel-shaded graphics were just for a different look with new technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom