• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game?

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It is not the best but neither the worst game in the series

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword in my opinion is a great video game, like Twilight Princess, but a terrible Zelda game, again like Twilight Princess, in my opinion. The story was awful. The gameplay was amazing (which makes it a great video game automatically). The characters were meaningless, but unlike games from MM and back, SS doesn't have the excuse of being a brand new title in a field where nothing is established. Nintendo had so much groundwork and experience -- from LoZ all the way to ST, but it seems they used little of their EXP in devving Skyward...SS let me down in almost every occasion, but I think that's all I'll need to say.

I don't come to Zelda games expecting story and characters, though when the game is etched out to be "the best Zelda -- better than OoT", it had damn well impress me in every aspect it presents. But SS didn't.

king Ganondorf

Ganondorf Dragmire
I honestly didn't enjoy Skyward Sword that much. The characters were eh and so were the side quests. I did like some of the dungeons and some of the boss battles but some dungeons like Skykeep were not exciting to me. I am not a fan of motion controls, I love a good old analog stick and an a and b button. The flying parts of the game were my least favorite because they were not very responsive or exciting for that matter. The only thing I did enjoy were the last hour of the game like the final plot points and fight with Demise. Oh and by the way, the 3 fight with Giraham were almost exactly the same and did NOT suit my fancy. Overall I would rate Skyward Sword on my bottom 5 Zelda Games.
You didn't like Skyward sword? How could you not like skyward sword? It is THE best Zelda game EVER! Look at the ratings it got

Big Octo

=^)
You didn't like Skyward sword? How could you not like skyward sword? It is THE best Zelda game EVER! Look at the ratings it got

1. It's called an opinion. People don't share the same views as you.
2. Why would someone judge a game based off of what other people rated it? That's asinine.

Ratings are just a certain person's view of the game, so it doesn't mean if SS got 10/10, everyone loves the game, just that the reviewer likes the game.

I stated a bunch of reasons but here are some more:

It was VERY linear, unlike every other Zelda game before it.
The flying controls were terrible in my opinion
The characters were not very appealing to me
They copy and pasted the same fight with Girahim 3 times
There were only 3-4 places you could "explore" and they were not connected making travel a nightmare
The tutorials were very long and not needed
and I could go on

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword in my opinion is a great video game, like Twilight Princess, but a terrible Zelda game, again like Twilight Princess, in my opinion. The story was awful. The gameplay was amazing (which makes it a great video game automatically). The characters were meaningless, but unlike games from MM and back, SS doesn't have the excuse of being a brand new title in a field where nothing is established. Nintendo had so much groundwork and experience -- from LoZ all the way to ST, but it seems they used little of their EXP in devving Skyward...SS let me down in almost every occasion, but I think that's all I'll need to say.

I'm confused. How was the story awful? It was the most developed and emotional story in franchise history. How were the characters meaningless? Characters haven't been more involved in a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. And how was nothing established? MotionPlus, the puzzle style overworld put to 3D (and perfected, at that), all items having equal use, and a freaking stamina gauge, which was a major factor to the gameplay. I don't like clashing with other people's opinions, but what you said couldn't have been more wrong.

SI don't come to Zelda games expecting story and characters, though when the game is etched out to be "the best Zelda -- better than OoT", it had damn well impress me in every aspect it presents. But SS didn't.

I'm not gonna make any accusations, but this gives off a hint of a bit too much nostalgia for OoT. This is coming from someone who did the same sort of thing with SMG2. Remember how some people at Nintendo said it was better than OoT? I came to expect way too much out of it, which is when I came to face the horrid truth that OoT did in fact have a nostalgic grip on me. Again, I'm not gonna accuse you of anything, but that statement is just begging for people to come in and pull out the "nostalgia goggles" card.

2. Why would someone judge a game based off of what other people rated it? That's asinine.

Some people do it. In fact, there's a certain in this thread saying OoT having a 99 composite score makes it the best game ever made...

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Skyward Sword is a very good game. As a Zelda game however I dont think it's as good. Still good, just not AS good. I think this game is more of a casual game than the other Zeldas. It's a game that a non-Zelda fan can play and say "this was a good game"

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword is a very good game. As a Zelda game however I dont think it's as good. Still good, just not AS good. I think this game is more of a casual game than the other Zeldas. It's a game that a non-Zelda fan can play and say "this was a good game"

Thing is, Nintendo wasn't going for a traditional Zelda style. SS re-imagined the Zelda formula so that the series could be fresh again, which it needed to be. I honestly don't think saying it's not as good of a Zelda game as it is a normal game is very fair to say due to the fact that it established a new Zelda formula.

MW7

You definitely want to look at the ratings then. Skyward Sword is the worst rated 3d Zelda game on metacritic and second worst on gamerankings (ahead of Majora's Mask). It's even behind Ocarina of Time 3d. I'm not saying this proves anything, but you don't want to be using ratings as an argument for Skyward Sword being the best Zelda game. Ratings mean something, but they aren't an infallible means of measuring a game's quality so you can still say Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game. The aggregate ratings just don't support that at all.
It was VERY linear, unlike every other Zelda game before it.
The flying controls were terrible in my opinion
The characters were not very appealing to me
They copy and pasted the same fight with Girahim 3 times
There were only 3-4 places you could "explore" and they were not connected making travel a nightmare
The tutorials were very long and not needed
and I could go on
First off I agree with you on most of this, but Skyward Sword was not the first linear Zelda game or even the most linear Zelda game. IMO Twilight Princess was so linear that the very much linear Skyward Sword was almost an Elder Scrolls game relatively speaking.

The flying controls were kind of a bother (like the swimming controls); Nintendo has really loved shoving a control scheme down players' throats lately. People complained about the controls in the ds Zeldas and Nintendo just ignored them. This isn't as big a deal but still it's not too much to ask to be able to use a control stick when you want to.

I didn't care much for the characters either. Really this could have been improved from my perspective by letting us skip cutscenes on all playthroughs.

Ghirahim's fights, while similar, were fairly different especially the third. To be honest I'm surprised you said that instead of the Imprisoned battles. Those were much more similar to one another than Ghirahim's fights at least IMO.

I love that you put "explore" in quotation marks haha. Being forced along a certain path when first encountering large circular areas is just a terrible design choice. With just slight tweaks the overworld could have been much more nonlinear and thus added replay value to the game. The disconnectedness of the areas leading to the inefficient warping system was also a poor design choice.

I hate all tutorials ever (please give us a skip option), and I could go on as well. Still having said all this Skyward Sword is a great game IMO. It's just that IMO a four-year-old could have made better decisions than the design team in some cases and my experience suffered greatly from what I perceive it should have been.

Last edited:
I think it is a great game, as it did score a spot in my top 5 Zelda games. The motion controlls were handled well, and the story was amazing. The art style was beautiful, and the items were not abandoned! (Except the Slingshot, but that is just destined to be replaced by the Bow.)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I personally don't think it's either a good game or a bad game. Granted it was better than some of the others, but definitely not one of my favorites.

it was ok.....it could have had better parts and fixes and personally i hated the upgrading the potions and items with bugs and resources.......i would of enjoyed it more if it was upgraded with rupees instead cause i hated looking for the bugs and catching them

Warrior of Fire

The Hero of Time
In my opinion, Skyward Sword was a very great game. In my all-time rankings, it places second, just a fraction of a point behind Ocarina of Time, but not because of nostalgia. When I change my game rankings, I always go back to the games on my list and break them down to every point why I liked that game and put it where I did. Overall, in my breakdown, Ocarina of Time did have more going for it than Skyward Sword, but it did come very close to knocking off OoT, let alone tying for first. And yes, OoT was my first true Zelda experience (although my first Zelda game WAS the first Zelda game (I still have my old NES and the original Zelda in it's shiny gold cartrage)), and I play it whenever I feel like it thanks to the Wii Virtual Console, but every game has to be judged not by what came before it or the highly annoying "nostalgia goggles", but the game's own merits as its own game. That's why I have Skyward Sword ranked as high as I do.

P

Pip-Indigo-13

Opinions of Skyward Sword

(Forgive me if this has already been made... and if this is the wrong place, lol!)

I did not really care for Skyward Sword. It wasn't bad... but it's definitely not my favorite Zelda game. I didn't like the gimmick of the motion controls... it made the gameplay rather annoying at times. There is way to much jabbering in the game then there needs to be. Cut-scenes drag on, and on, and on... and I just want to play the game instead of sitting there reading a book. Not to mention Fi. She's worse then Navi, honestly. There isn't much drive for me to play the game as well... it just got boring.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to see how many people liked SS and how many didn't.

MW7

I like Skyward Sword, and to be honest I agree with all of your complaints. However, the good definitely outweighs the bad and I wouldn't consider the game boring overall. The only times I was bored was when I was forced to read dialogue or watch a cutscene. The gameplay was fine for the most part, but the game just kept throwing hurdles at me to get to the gameplay. You have to go through a long tutorial at the start, watch nearly 2 hours of cutscenes, and can barely speed up dialogue at all.

Having said those negative things (there is plenty more if you want me to go on about what I didn't like), there are still amazing parts of the game. The dungeons are pure joy for me (with rare exceptions), and the minigames of Skyward Sword might be the best I've ever seen in a Zelda game. Also the sidequests are among the best in the series, not quite up to Majora's Mask but about on Wind Waker's level. I mean really there are hundreds of little things wrong with the game, but the meat of the game- dungeons, sidequests, and minigames- is very good. Although there is plenty of room for disagreement on those things, I felt these aspects are very good. Now the overworld is another story, but that's the only major portion of the game that I felt was "off." Overall as a video game I'd give Skyward Sword an A or A-. As a Zelda game I'd give it a B. It's definitely not my favorite Zelda game either, and I also feel that it's not the best as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom