• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Link Attending College?

Fig

The Altruist
What's happening forum! It's been a while (more like a couple of hours.:D)

As we all know, Link, Zelda, Groose, and the rest of the students take their studies at the Knight Academy, while they will soon become ranked knights to be licensed to protect the people and area of Skyloft. Based on the actions and descriptions of the actions of the students, it seems to me that they might be in "college". The Knight Academy has dorms where the students can sleep-in, has instructors that teach an unusal large class of students, has a headmaster, and the list goes on. I personally can see it as a college, thus assuming the students attending the academy are around the range of 18-24 years of age. I really find this interesting that Link is in a scholar program, even though there is no evidence of a grade system.

So, do you think the Knight Academy is a college or you don't see it and see as something else? Please comment and tell me what you think about the Knight Academy. I'm all ears for any errors and/or corrections to my assumptions.

No. It would seem more to me like a boarding school. Boarding schools have many characteristics of colleges, seeing as there are dormitories, a headmaster, etc. The students who live in dorms at the Knight Academy are probably orphans. Pipit appears to live at home with his mom and walks to school everyday. As for the class size, that is likely due to the amount of students who attend the academy, which appears to be a small amount. There's likely more that are not seen in-game, but must be assumed to exist. There also appear to be different classes of knights, such as those who patrol the skies, those who rescue those who fall from Skyloft, and those who are on-duty in case of high enemy activity during the night. They all probably occupy the one class, or have at some point (before or after graduation). Regarding the age of the attendees, they all appear to be at least between the ages of 15-18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, who needs school anyways. They don't need education when all they do is go out and pick fights.

I'm aware that you're probably kidding... lol [noparse]:D[/noparse]

There appear to be qualities of the Knight Academy that cater to educational/academics like Math, Science, Social Studies, and English(?). Books of various kinds can be seen throughout the academy, and in each students' dorm. Horwell and Owlan also seem to hold high interests in flora (plants) and fauna (wildlife; animals). They both may be instructors of courses similar to biology or some other science.

On the other hand there are various combat components of becoming a Knight. And we can't forget the Flying/Bird Riding courses. Owlan seems to also be a flight instructor. I'd liken these courses to real-world PE (to a degree). There also appear to be recreational/elective courses available, like Wood Shop and Carpentry, seeing as how Link has wood sculpting tools in his room, but it is likely just personal hobby of his. I hope they do more than "pick fights." lol

Deeds

no text
No. It would seem more to me like a boarding school. Boarding schools have many characteristics of colleges, seeing as there are dormitories, a headmaster, etc. The students who live in dorms at the Knight Academy are probably orphans. Pipit appears to live at home with his mom and walks to school everyday. As for the class size, that is likely due to the amount of students who attend the academy, which appears to be a small amount. There's likely more that are not seen in-game, but must be assumed to exist. There also appear to be different classes of knights, such as those who patrol the skies, those who rescue those who fall from Skyloft, and those who are on-duty in case of high enemy activity during the night. They all probably occupy the one class, or have at some point (before or after graduation). Regarding the age of the attendees, they all appear to be at least between the ages of 15-18.
Although most of what you said is true, I don't see the point of having a boarding school in a town where you can walk to each edge in about 2 minutes; I disagree with you on that one. It's just a facility where they are taught to become a knight. There is no evidence of any classrooms, so that's all we can say.

Although most of what you said is true, I don't see the point of having a boarding school in a town where you can walk to each edge in about 2 minutes; I disagree with you on that one. It's just a facility where they are taught to become a knight. There is no evidence of any classrooms, so that's all we can say.

It is actually quite similar to a boarding school with regards to students living there; minus the aspect of coming from a far-off town and such. Also, there is a classroom, or rather a classroom-esque area where desks and books can be found. Becoming a knight is obviously the academy's primary focus, yes, but academics appear to be touched upon as well. It's like in the Harry Potter books. Harry attends a school of witchcraft and wizardry, but basic academics like math and science aren't just thrown by the wayside. Many things are put into video games that are left for the players to assume; this is especially true with Zelda. In the case with the Knight Academy in Skyward Sword, we are given visual hints (sometimes subtle), such as a multitude of books placed on shelves, and two "instructors." There are many hints of academic study in the Knight Academy. Search and you shall find, my friend. :yes:

Also, Deeds, it seems to me that you misunderstood my definition of "classes" in reference to "classes of knights" in my previous post. By "different classes of knights", I meant different kinds or ranks, like different "classes" of plants. There are hinted to be different kinds of knights in Skyloft given different duties (i.e. patrolling Skyloft, rescuing those who fall, etc...)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think nor do I think it's a boarding school I just think its a place to train become knight to protect skyloft I guess it could be a boarding school though

No, I don't think nor do I think it's a boarding school I just think its a place to train become knight to protect skyloft I guess it could be a boarding school though

No, it isn't the text book definition of a boarding school. It is, however, VERY SIMILAR TO A BOARDING SCHOOL, as students actually live there, but it is much less like a college. It also appears to be similar to a military academy. (Ah, boot camp, good times /sarcasm)

I like all these ideas, if i may offer my own personal twist on these views though, look at the time frame in which zelda takes place. It isnt in our today world, so the Knight Academy could be just the regular school that all the citizens of skyloft attended at one time. It is possible that it isnt required to become a knight on skyloft yet learning basic defense and offense is required. Basically its just my thought that the knight academy could be a version of school and for those who wish to pursue becoming a knight, a college. I also agree with Wolf Sage on the different classes of knights, like the knights who save people that fall off are the special ops..lol

Deeds

no text
It is actually quite similar to a boarding school with regards to students living there; minus the aspect of coming from a far-off town and such. Also, there is a classroom, or rather a classroom-esque area where desks and books can be found. Becoming a knight is obviously the academy's primary focus, yes, but academics appear to be touched upon as well. It's like in the Harry Potter books. Harry attends a school of witchcraft and wizardry, but basic academics like math and science aren't just thrown by the wayside. Many things are put into video games that are left for the players to assume; this is especially true with Zelda. In the case with the Knight Academy in Skyward Sword, we are given visual hints (sometimes subtle), such as a multitude of books placed on shelves, and two "instructors." There are many hints of academic study in the Knight Academy. Search and you shall find, my friend. :yes:

Also, Deeds, it seems to me that you misunderstood my definition of "classes" in reference to "classes of knights" in my previous post. By "different classes of knights", I meant different kinds or ranks, like different "classes" of plants. There are hinted to be different kinds of knights in Skyloft given different duties (i.e. patrolling Skyloft, rescuing those who fall, etc...)

Yeah, sorry about that, I mis-understood you.

There are a few things that I'm un sure about as well; The item check girl (Peatrice) is around the same age as Link right? Why is she not in the Knight Academy, work experience? ;)

Yeah, sorry about that, I mis-understood you.

There are a few things that I'm un sure about as well; The item check girl (Peatrice) is around the same age as Link right? Why is she not in the Knight Academy, work experience? ;)

Yeah, you have a point there. I think it's safe to assume that attending the Knight Academy is a choice, at least for some. Also, it is interesting to note that Peatrice is the daughter of Peater, the man who runs the Clean Cut, and a former academy attendee. That may loosely have something to do with her situation. Other characters who appear to be around Link's age (or older), but do not attend (are not shown attending) the academy include Parrow, Orielle, Kina, and Keet.

The most funny thing is when you fall down of Skyloft and the knights say that you'll never join knighthood if you're not aware of something however you fight monsters of the size of a house... Yeah I'll never be a knight :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom