• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is BotW your least favourite for anything?

Inspired by Spirit’s thread (your favourites in BotW, https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/is-botw-your-favourite-for-anything.64246/), let’s hear the opposite side. Is there something in BotW that was done the worst in the history of the Legend of Zelda series?

Considering BotW is my all time favourite videogame, I’m surprised I can easily come up with atleast one thing that was done the worst in the series. It is the final battle. I wish it was more challenging. AoL degree of difficulty would be nice. It’s almost impossible to die. Some have suggested that it’s more like an interactive cutscene kind of show. Okay, perhaps in my second playthrough I’ll feel less bummed out or even learn to appreciate it if think the final battle differently. Whatsoever, in the first playtime I felt that this part of the game could have been better. It was the easiest boss fight in the series. Atleast of those Zelda games I’ve played so far.

What’s your least favourite in BotW?

Edit. have to correct that overall final battle wasn’t the worst in history of Zelda, only the level of difficulty of it. Otherwise final battle was excellent, especially visuals were done right

Last edited:
I wanna say it's the worst for rewarding exploration.

The exploration is fun but you're only ever gonna find a Korok seed or a Shrine.

You get heart containers and stamina upgrades from Hylia Statues so you'll never find them out in the world hidden in chests like previous Zeldas.

Likewise when you open a chest and get a weapon it isn't really a big deal since it's gonna break soon...

Also most sidequests only yield rupees so there's no point in doing most of them.

While I love roaming around Hyrule in BotW it really does suck that the only things of worth you'll find are Korok seeds (only half of which you need) and shrines.

Likewise when you open a chest and get a weapon it isn't really a big deal since it's gonna break soon...
I found it exact opposite. Because of breaking of weapons, it was rewarding to invade to bokoblin camp, fight against them (which was fun due to versatile combat system) and get a new weapon. And it didn’t bother even if I already had that weapon since then I could toss the old one and get new shiny one

I found it exact opposite. Because of breaking of weapons, it was rewarding to invade to bokoblin camp, fight against them (which was fun due to versatile combat system) and get a new weapon. And it didn’t bother even if I already had that weapon since then I could toss the old one and get new shiny one

I pretty much just avoided fights because I didnt want to break my good stuff... which defeated the purpose of having them.

But when some of those weapons were super rare amiibo drops that took me months of daily scanning... dont wanna go through that again.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava

I always found raiding camps useless as they always had low tier weaponry, i can find great flameblade, shock spears and ice blades in their set spots and i can also just farm lynel crushers endlessly. Nothing says "i hate bokoblins" than dropping in from the sky with a lynel crusher

I pretty much just avoided fights because I didnt want to break my good stuff... which defeated the purpose of having them.

But when some of those weapons were super rare amiibo drops that took me months of daily scanning... dont wanna go through that again.

I feel like missed something here, you can save scum amiibos for drops, it took me 1 day to get every amiibo drop and armor..........i then prompty threw fierce dietys sword at a camp of bokoblins.

Least favorite thing about BOTW is the enemy variety........or lack thereof, we just have an escalation of trash mobs going from normal to gold colored, sorry but once you've slain one you've slain em all. Give me sodding poes dammit

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
After much consideration, there isn’t a single thing that I think other games in this series have over BotW to a degree in which I could call it my least favorite. Everything about this game ranges from liking to loving. Even the final battle that you thought was too easy, I thought it was thematically amazing and gave me chills. I don’t really care if it’s easy, I’m here for a fun time not a hard time. And it was certainly fun.

If I had to pick something I didn’t like about BotW, I would say it’s the fact that companionship is limited to an amiibo from a game I don’t even like. I wanted to be able to team up with NPCs the way you can with the Wolf Link amiibo, and I’m sad that this amiibo is the only way to do something like that. Worse still, the only way to make it actually good is to play and beat TPHD and Cave of Ordeals; otherwise he has three hearts. The problem with this is that I don’t own a Wii U and I hate TP so this option is unavailable to me. That was very disappointing. However, this is something unique to BotW so I can’t like it the least out of the other games if the other games don’t have it in the first place.

I always found raiding camps useless as they always had low tier weaponry, i can find great flameblade, shock spears and ice blades in their set spots and i can also just farm lynel crushers endlessly. Nothing says "i hate bokoblins" than dropping in from the sky with a lynel crusher

I feel like missed something here, you can save scum amiibos for drops, it took me 1 day to get every amiibo drop and armor..........i then prompty threw fierce dietys sword at a camp of bokoblins.

Least favorite thing about BOTW is the enemy variety........or lack thereof, we just have an escalation of trash mobs going from normal to gold colored, sorry but once you've slain one you've slain em all. Give me sodding poes dammit

Yeah but im a good girl and dont save scum.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I dislike BoTW mainly for its mediocrity rather than it having the worst features of any Zelda.

I think the only things it did worst were:

Weapon Breaking- As far as I remember no other Zelda does this. This mechanic is annoying in any survival game regardless but I have never played a game where weapons break so frequently, it is as though they are made of glass.

Reward for Exploration- @Spirit mentioned this already and I agree. Nothing you find in this game is of any excitement. It's going to be a weapon or a Korok seed. Weapons break so frequently that it isn't even a great joy to find a high level weapon because you know you will be hunting for another very shortly. This caused me to avoid combat and break the monotonous cycle of weapon smashing then weapon hunting.

Enemy Variety- It was worse and less varied than Skyward Sword a game I constantly critisized for having mainly bokoblins as the enemy. And although the designs of the enemies were better in BoTW there were very few different types to fight.

In addition to these it is the worst in the 3D series for Storytelling. (technically the original LOZ is worse but it is ancient) BoTW's story is pure crap with no thought put in to enrich the series lore. Most people with an ounce of creativity could come up with something better. It is also optional making it seem pointless and unimportant.

It does some things which aren't the worst but on par as bad with other entities such as the annoying stamina meter which unfortunately makes a return from SS. It shouldn't have come back at all.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Stamina meter :mad:
Breakable weapons :dry:
Lack of proper dungeons
First dlc in a major Zelda game :kawaii:
Annoying voice acting
Knockback so ridiculous, it made the NES ones look like a love tap :fpalm:
Obnoxious menu. When will Nintendo learn to stack their items?? Other game developers have only been doing it since forever :eyes:

I like Breath, just enough that I'll beat it once. Someday. I dislike it more, so that I don't play it often.

I also notice that many people do not want to start over like other Zelda games. Not even my daughter, who says its her favorite wants to start over. She just goofs around, riding animals, horrifying people in Link's skivvies or as Dark Link while setting their houses on fire, beating up Ganon again, and hanging out with lizalfos. They talk to you. Its cute.

Last edited:
Even the final battle that you thought was too easy, I thought it was thematically amazing and gave me chills.
Thats true. Also visually beautiful. I had goosebumps when saw glowing Zelda coming out of light. I have to correct that overall final battle wasn’t the worst in history of Zelda, only the level of difficulty. It was easiest i.e. worst because I enjoy hard games

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Plenty, and this is coming from 300+ across three playthroughs+DLC.

-Enemy variety is a joke.
-The horse controls are the clunkiest in history.
-Climbing is boring and tedious after two hours in as it becomes a stamina management simulator.
-Stamina as a whole doesn't belong in the series; give everyone their magic meter back.
-Brittle weapons are fine, but how about a way to repair them?
-Exploration doesn't dole out sufficient rewards; Shrines and Koroks are literal copy/pastes strewn about and do nothing to make the world feel alive. Part of the experience is coming across cool crap, but time that should have been better spent on making exciting landmarks or whatever was wasted instead on carbon facsimiles with little to no difference. Try again, Aonuma.
-For as much crap as XC2 gets for being "too anime", I sure can draw a lot of parallels to BotW's characters and their anime-ish stereotypes. Also, Yunobu is the single stupidest creature ever.
-The final battle might've been cool, but Ganon himself was utterly forgettable and made no sense.
-Story ends on a lackluster note and the DLC does nothing to address this.
-Last but not definitely not least, the DLC is the epitome of "more of the same", especially in Champion's Ballad. We're literally going to give you more Shrines and force you to fight the bosses again only now with BS terms applied! The final final boss (intentional) is exactly the type of antagonist that the story needed to end things off with instead of a nebulous cloud. Considering that I'd already paid $60 to Shrine-dive and collect poop, the DLC's $20 price tag must have existed to present a semi-satisfactory ending.

I wanted to be able to team up with NPCs the way you can with the Wolf Link amiibo, and I’m sad that this amiibo is the only way to do something like that. Worse still, the only way to make it actually good is to play and beat TPHD and Cave of Ordeals; otherwise he has three hearts. The problem with this is that I don’t own a Wii U and I hate TP so this option is unavailable to me. That was very disappointing. However, this is something unique to BotW so I can’t like it the least out of the other games if the other games don’t have it in the first place.
Lrn2NFC to get the 20 Heart Wolf Link. Oh, and you're welcome.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The things I dislike about BotW:
*The stupid golden seed you get after collecting 900 korok seeds. And if it would do something useful like all other rewards you'll get after beating the Titans, it only gives you the opportunity to make Hestu dance! Why would I care if the dude can dance??? They should at least have made it a useful item like being able to repair one weapon/shield of your choice. But nope....typical Nintendo.
* The whole story in general. They could've add something more. To me the story felt a bit incomplete. There is definitely room for more
* The game gets a bit repetitive when it comes to finding chests, koroks or enemies

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
-Overworld
-Exploration
-Rewards
-Story
-Sidequests
-Puzzles--unless you include the games that literally don't have them, then fair enough.
-Combat
-Horses
-Link design
-Performance (first Nintendo game I've ever played that has issues running)
-Enemies
-Ganon

BOTW is an overall good game that manages to screw a lot of stuff up in the worst way possible, which is why it's ended up in the middle for me.

Worse still, the only way to make it actually good is to play and beat TPHD and Cave of Ordeals; otherwise he has three hearts.

To be honest, I've found it makes very little difference. Hearts mean little in this game, while armor is everything. Since Wolf Link has no armor, he can easily be killed in two hits even with 20 hearts. Though I haven't tested to see if the damage cap applies to him as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom