• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Iron Knuckles, What Are They?

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
I've heard several people say that Iron Knuckles are Gerudo. I've also heard the Gerudo model was used just as a basis for the entire model to make modeling the character easier. Here is my theory. The German version of the games refer to the Iron Knuckle as the "Iron Prince" , I assume the word "Prince" was used on purpose. To me, this hints that Iron Knuckles aren't just Gerudo armor worn by only females, but a somewhat common (or used to be) ancient armor used in different forms by both men and women of different races. The ones you see in OoT and Majora's Mask just happen to be the Gerudo and Ikana versions respectively. My other theory is that they could also be executioners turned soldiers, as the massive weight of their axe would allow them to perform a proper execution even if the axe is blunted, and also use their tool as a weapon in combat. I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Last edited:
i always thought the iron knuckles were dead soldiers. i mean, u find them were dead people would be (Ikana graveyard/spirit temple with twinrova witches/etc). maybe theyr possessed dead guys

Majora

The Hero Slayer
Well, I figured they were all possessed Gerudo, considering what's inside their armor. . . And I do mean the 'regular' ones.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
@kitty

The Ikana Iron Knuckles may very well be armored undead soldiers since they ARE found in graves.

@Majoa

I'm kinda on the fence about whether or not the regular ones are actualy females. The sounds they make are far too deep for any woman.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
Iron Knuckles are just enemies. They date back to Zelda II.

I've played Zelda II so I know how far they date back, but everything has at least some explanation behind it, nothing is "just" anything. Then again they could have ORIGINALY been "just" enemies in zelda 2, with a bit of background added around OoT and MM.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I've played Zelda II so I know how far they date back, but everything has at least some explanation behind it, nothing is "just" anything. Then again they could have ORIGINALY been "just" enemies in zelda 2, with a bit of background added around OoT and MM.

There are lots of enemies in Zelda that are never explained. I think the only reason why you care is, Iron Knuckles just happen to be more interesting.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
There are lots of enemies in Zelda that are never explained. I think the only reason why you care is, Iron Knuckles just happen to be more interesting.

That makes a lot of sense. An example of what you say is like the birds in the 3D games. I often stop and think "Why on earth are the animals so hostile? Especialy birds?". Also, I'm a fan of military traditions and anything war-like so I'm more incline towards the knight enemies. It isn't the only reason why I care, I just like to think about why things are the way they are. That, and I notice details without trying.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
That makes a lot of sense. An example of what you say is like the birds in the 3D games. I often stop and think "Why on earth are the animals so hostile? Especialy birds?". Also, I'm a fan of military traditions and anything war-like so I'm more incline towards the knight enemies. It isn't the only reason why I care, I just like to think about why things are the way they are. That, and I notice details without trying.

Then that shows you care, and I like that about you.

I must say, you have some interesting theories. Made me think. But I believe that Iron Knuckles are in general male.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
This is more suited for Classic Zelda rather than Zelda theory.

If they are male, individuals, they certainly cannot be Gerudos, because the only existing Gerudo male at the time of OoT is Ganondorf.
Nabooru said:
A kid like you may not know this,
but the Gerudo race consists only
of women. Only one man is born
every hundred years...
Even though our laws say that
lone male Gerudo must become
King of the Gerudo, I'll never
bow to such an evil man!
They could be regular Hylians recruited by the Gerudo; not all followers of Ganondorf are solely Gerudo -- in fact, many enemies are just monsters or regular Hylians tempted to join the dominant force in Hyrule at the time. They don't have to be Gerudo to be inside the Spirit Temple, despite the fact that it is a Gerudo temple.

Another possibility is that they are reanimated soldiers, much like Armos Knights; recall that Iron Knuckles do not move until you approach them, and they just stand or sit still until you get into close proximity. It's quite likely that they are just reanimated armour and weaponry or statues like the Armos Knights.

LordKorloros

Jared Moore
I'm talking about the armor not the wearer. Anywho, I don't see how this belongs in classic zelda, I just had a hell of a time trying to find my thread.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
Perhaps there aren't any people in the armor at all. I've always thought that Iron Knuckles might be some kind of haunted armor that just comes to life. In Zelda 2, the third boss Rebonakku is an Iron Knuckle. However, he seems to be riding some kind of ghostly horse, as it floats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom