• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Introducing People to Zelda

I'm sure we have that somebody we want to share our favorite series with. What is your method of introducing your friends and family to The Legend of Zelda? Obviously first you need to introduce them to video games, watch the Extra Credits episode "Sharing our Medium" if you want ideas how. But as for Zelda, what do you think you should try?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I introduced my cousin to Zelda by letting her play my copy of Ocarina of Time 3D. The only reason she had wanted to play it in the first place, though, was because she saw Link in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I guess it's easier to introduce something to someone if they have some prior knowledge about it. It seems to be easier for them to grasp it's concept that way. At least, that's what I've learned. The best way to introduce somebody to something new is to ease them into it. Show them something from the series, and if it holds their interest, let them play a game.

this girl I know always asks me why I love Zelda, then she started asking specific questions like "if the guy in green is Link, who's Zelda"? and finally she wanted to play one and asked which one to play first so I made her play Minish Cap because it's the most inviting for new comers, she's now at the 2nd temple lol.

In 5th grade, I brought My Ds to school with the Gameboy port of Link to the Past, My friends like, "What game is that, it looks fun." So I told him and he tracked down it and started playing it. Prompting him to have a love of zelda, he continued to buy Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and most recently, Skyward Sword.

Now in 8th grade, Im currently convincing my friend to play though Twilight Princess.

C

cities

I introduced my wife to playing Zelda by asking her to start playing Wind Waker. The game is fairly easy compared to others - and was a great introduction. She enjoyed the look of the game and got really interested. Now she has played through Ocarina of Time and is currently playing through Majora's Mask.

My girlfriend likes shooting games because she just likes to blow stuff up and kill people to put it simply lol. She doesn't have a great attention span so having games with cut scenes, fetch quests, heavily story driven, etc. don't fly well with her.

I asked her to play Wind Waker and since we don't live together and she doesn't own a Wii or her own copy she slowly beat it over a month from coming over my house a couple times a week and playing it for an hour (that's all she had the attention span for)

I finally asked her what was her favorite part of Wind Waker and if she wants to play another and then she said....

"I liked attacking the pigs and making them angry, it was sooo cute. I'll play another one if they have pigs and cute characters."

.... -.-

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I introduce people to playing Zelda by saying, hey I have a game to show you and I sure them the best parts of Ocarina of Time where there's alot of fighting so it grabs their attention.

MW7

Well I like to start off with showing the person a game that's beginner friendly so that's most of the series except for the first three games and Majora's Mask. I also take into account the person's taste such as retro versus modern. For instance I'm trying to get my dad back into the series (he was addicted to the first game a long time ago), and he doesn't play anything nowadays so really the obvious choice was ALTTP. I was playing it in front of him, and he mentioned how that reminded him of the game he played so we talked and I got him to promise to try playing it once he retires (few years away). I remember playing Skyward Sword in front of him, and all he said is "Wow, this sure is a lot different than the Zelda I played."

If I was trying to bring in a more modern gamer I'd start with any of the 3d games except for MM, or maybe one of the handhelds.

I usually unintentionally introduce others to The Legend of Zelda games - typically kids. I just sit there and they watch me play. For example, my nephews like to watch me play Skyward Sword, and they ask a ton of questions about what's going on. With each question, I give them an informative answer which catches their interest. Which in turn makes them want to play it. I don't let them play my games, though; they're terrorists. lol Anyway, I was introduced to the series in a similar way. I was a little kid who liked to watch my older brother play A Link to the Past. I just picked it up and started playing, because it looked fun...

From my experience, I've found that it is much harder to get older people into the series. They typically ask many questions to which I can never provide an answer. Many of them question the logic of Zelda games. My brother's friends have asked such things as "How does Link place bombs in his bag when the fuse is lit?" (SS) But the most common questions are "Which is the jump button" and "Where to go next?" When I hand them the controller, they are completely clueless as to what's going on. There were also instances where newbies confused Link's gender. My sister has been the most difficult so far to introduce to the series. She's a bit of a tomboy, and she generally dislikes "adventure games where you have to defeat the wizard and save the princess." She'd much rather play a fighting game. It can be quite annoying, but when [if] they get the hang of it, it's pretty self-gratifying. It's a good feeling knowing that you've successfully introduced a new person to Zelda. Especially considering how daunting a task it can be. lol

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
let them play a easy to get into one and show them hints about it so they can learn about. Me if i would introduce it to some on i'll let them play OoT3d but won't show then the hint system becuz they'll be depending on it all the time ruining future games for them

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
Around my area, no one knows what the heck Zelda is. How I was introduced to it myself, I don't remember.

In my school, there's a severe lack of gamers so I have to make due and make friends with non-gamers. Every time I start yapping on about games (a.k.a. Zelda) they get curious. I explain things to them and introduce them to gaming in general.

I tried the get someone into the Zelda serie once by suggesting him to download the Four Sword on e-shop(since its free) and I told him that it wasn't the best Zelda and its different from other Zelda games,but it can give you an Idea of what a Zelda game might look like

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Whenever there is somebody that hasn't played Zelda that seems interested, I typically let them play Ocarina of Time on my N64. One of my friends had a Nintendo 64, but lacked Ocarina of Time, so I let him borrow my copy of the game. He loved it, so I let him also borrow Majora's Mask. (for some reason, though, a massive chunk of cartridge casing went missing)

Whenever a friend comes over, however, I let them play Ocarina of Time on my N64, the same way I was introduced to Ocarina of Time. :)

S

SirSchmoopy

I managed to convince my aunt to play SS and she loved it. Working on getting her to play TP, but I am waiting for her to finish SS

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I have introduced many people to the Legend of Zelda franchise. Many of them are my main friends. I introduced my friend to the Legend of Zelda series by accident. He didn't even know I was into the Zelda games. He came over to my house once and I only really had an N64 at the time. We were bored and I let him pick out a game. He picked out Mario Kart 64, I told him he needed to try this game called Ocarina of Time. So he put Mario Kart 64 in and I inserted Ocarina of Time in the old system. When he saw the title screen, I kid you not his eyes were like O.O He's been playing Zelda ever since. Another one of my friends I got into Zelda by wearing a shirt for the original Legend of Zelda, he's currently playing OoT. I have also gotten my sister to like the series but she's still young enough to not understand the controls xD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom