• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Interstellar

Hanyou

didn't build that
Nolan's latest film.

[video=youtube;0vxOhd4qlnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxOhd4qlnA[/video]

Discuss.

----------

When I left the theater after watching this movie, I was in something like stunned silence for a good five minutes. Rarely has a movie's narrative so engrossed me. When I did come to, my first thought was, "Why don't they make more movies like this?" My second thought was, "I need to see this again while it's in theaters." So I'm going back.

Simply put, it was outstanding. It was both subtle and punch-in-the-gut obvious. It was sincere and innocent, not cynical, but it was also one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

It's what science fiction should be. It reminded me of Contact, 2001, and even of Star Trek, sort of (TOS and TNG specifically). If you like all/any of that, this is the film you've been waiting for.

While I still rank "Memento," "Inception," "The Prestige," and possibly "Batman Begins" as my favorite Nolan films, I'd place "Interstellar" above "The Dark Knight," "The Dark Knight Rises," and "Insomnia" -- and those movies are good to outstanding. I can't praise this movie enough. See it in IMAX. Drive 100 miles if you have to. It's worth it.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm still a little bit apprehensive, I have slowly gotten burned out on all of these "We killed the earth, the audience needs to learn a harsh lesson about littering" type apocalyptic scenario sci-fi movies. I have received the message a number of times and frankly it does drive me to things like Star Wars where I really just want to watch lasers for a while.

However I am hearing some good things about this one that it might be a good movie despite the tired Hollywood message. Still don't really know if I want to give it a try.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I'm exhausted from that trope as well, even if it's yielded some good movies (Wall-E).

Trust me, this isn't that kind of movie. While it definitely has a political agenda of sorts, it's not ham-fisted about it and the message is far different, from, say, a Roland Emmerich or James Cameron film.

Like I said, Contact and 2001 are probably points of comparison--it's about as aggressively environmentalist as either of those films (which is to say, it's not really the issue at hand in the movie).

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I saw it yesterday and I really loved it. It was absolutely amazing and I'll probably end up seeing it a second time. I completely agree with Hanyou's Contact/2001 comparison, and I'd even consider it this generation's Contact. It's a very emotionally powerful movie and has some wild and intriguing idea content. It's a mind trip in the spirit of Inception and has one hell of an interesting plot. It's visually stunning as well and some of the space opera sequences will utterly take your breath away. While it's got plenty of space opera-esque action sequences, it's really not an action movie. It's a story about the love between a father and a daughter as well as human nature and hope, that just happens to take place in a gorgeous space setting with SF action to boot.

It's a really powerful movie and moved me to tears. It's got some weirdness and flaws like all of Christopher Nolan movies (and all movies in general), but they are pretty strongly overshadowed by its strengths. Do not judge this movie by the trailers, by the way. The trailers are a joke and they represent this movie about as much as Monty Python and the Holy Grail would represent the high fantasy of the Lord of the Rings.

I definitely recommend it to science fiction fans, but it would appeal to most people in general, especially if you like Christopher Nolan's movies.

Like Hanyou, I walked out of the theater stunned for a good while.

Also, the score is incredible:

[video=youtube;0iteQE7KEyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iteQE7KEyU[/video]

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Honestly, I was interested in the movie at first, watched it with my friends, but I didn't like at all that much, for some reason I didn't like the character too much and that that ruined the movie for me.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
This film is beautiful in IMAX. It is Christopher Nolan's most human film. Although the run time kills some of the suspense and it is, at times, clunkily put together; I would put it in league with 2001: a Space Odyssey and Alien. Those two films specifically because Interstellar seems to take heavy inspiration from both of them. I'm still not sure whether I want to give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, but I definitely recommend seeing it in IMAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom