• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Had the Choice to Be Immortal, Would You Take It?

Would you choose to be immortal?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm a bit torn on the issue. For one, I would love to live forever. I'd love to see the world grow and flourish, new technologies, new governments...new everything really. That is until, the world comes to an end. But even so, that would be a spectacular thing to watch. The sun expanding, swallowing up three whole planets, then burning out into a tiny white dwarf, then exploding and wiping out the whole solar system!

All the while, you, seeing as you cannot die, would be flung half way (or more) across the galaxy! In doing that, you could possibly find new solar systems, with new planets, and new life! You'd be an alien to them, but still. You could share some of Earth's technologies with them, and teach them new things.

There's literally a universe of possibilities. Until everything dies. Then it would be a pretty lonely existence. Floating around in a dead universe until it collapses in on itself. (and restarts as another universe. Or the theory goes. But I firmly belive the theory to be fact). Anywho, you'd have yet another chance to see something amazing. The formation of a new universe. Implying that you didnt die in the crushing thing. But we are talking about immortality here. So that means no death, no matter what happens.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
I would only want to be immortal if babygoku can be there with me. :) If I lived forever without her, that would be too much... Just the thought of it makes me want to die... :( But if someone could make me immortal, I'd force them to make babygoku immortal too. There's no way I'd let her be mortal. :)

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
No.

I couldn't do it. A life is something so valuable and delicate. It just seems wrong to mess with it. I think living forever would get tiresome. Imagine all your friends, family and other loved ones all dying and leaving you to move on, over and over again. It seems too painful. Eventually, every person would slip past you into another life. I think the set rate to enjoy life is there and would just get boring if it was extended.

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
No.

I couldn't do it. A life is something so valuable and delicate. It just seems wrong to mess with it. I think living forever would get tiresome. Imagine all your friends, family and other loved ones all dying and leaving you to move on, over and over again. It seems too painful. Eventually, every person would slip past you into another life. I think the set rate to enjoy life is there and would just get boring if it was extended.

I absolutely agree, Meego! I would not like to live in a world with no-one I love or know around any more... :(...so, I say no.

Every time I hear this question, many people who say "no" reason that they would get "bored" of life, and that they wouldn't want to see their loved ones die.

I don't think I would ever get bored of life.

I don't think I would personally mind seeing all my loved ones around me die. That happens regardless of immortality.

My personal reason for not wanting immortality is because I simply don't need it.

Well, no. First, I will outlive all of the people I care about. It'd be too sad to know that I'd be left behind to live when they all die. Like, what if I were immortal for a millennium, and then went insane for living so long? It'd be terrible. And just because I would be immortal, doesn't mean I don't get to suffer from extreme injuries. I mean, sure... I wouldn't have to worry about dying from them, so going to the hospital wouldn't be necessary. But I'd still have to go through healing still, right? And I wouldn't get to "get out of my misery" if something bad were to happen.

And this has to be the worst thing that comes with immortality... okay, so let's say that the world was to come to an end. I would live through it. And then I'd be floating in the middle of space for the rest of time (or if the entire universe compresses as the counter-theory of the Big Bang were to happen, I'd still be alive in the middle of nothingness). I would hate that. Boredom would consume me. I mean, floating in space is only fun if you're Nyan Cat.

R

Relindra

I find it interesting that people wouldn't want to be immortal.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It's something. Well... I suppose whether or not I'd want to depends on what I'd do with it. If I were just going to keep to myself or to family and that, I wouldn't want it. You'd lose too much. But... if you were instead to put it towards the betterment of civilization it can be a huge benefit. For example, research into curing diseases would greatly benefit from having one researcher observe it for 100 years. Not possible now. Could make breakthroughs with that. Of course it'd help with space exploration too. One day we just might depend on discoveries and progress in space.

Of course there's always the hero role you could take. :D

So to sum it up, if it were just for myself I wouldn't want it, but if it were to help others, I would. As they say in Spiderman, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Living life is a pretty damn amazing thing, don't get me wrong. However, once again... I'm echoing everyone else: I wouldn't be able to watch friends and family die before me and what not, I mean, sure... that can happen regardless if someone were to be "immortal" or not, however with immortality, an event such as that would be a complete guarantee and one that I wouldn't be able to deal with. As I view life: Live it up, accomplish all that you want, and hope there's an afterlife.

N

nesdude5

I would take it, seems cool all the cons don't seem so bad, giving that I was forever young I say oh yeah

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I think perhaps I might have an interesting take on this. One the one hand, I wouldn't want to be immortal by myself and see everyone die and grow bored of life. On the other hand, however, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, of which I am a member, teaches that after Jesus's second coming, all mankind will be resurrected (not all at once) and that we'll all live with Jesus for a millennium, all of us immortal, and then what happens after that would require a bit more explaining. Of course, not all of you believe that, but it should still be interesting to consider what life would be like if everyone was immortal. We wouldn't have to worry about our loved ones dying around us because they wouldn't. I imagine things would go a lot slower, because this is eternity we're talking about here, but still things would continue to happen. It doesn't just end there. It would be perhaps more interesting than seeing the advancement of society by man's hand, because what I'm talking about here is directed by God, so we don't necessarily know exactly what will happen in all aspects.

amaterasu

Writer
hmmm. I can't really vote, because i'm not sure. on one hand, you live forever, but on the other, when your friends die, you'll be alone. and if you live forever, you'll see the end of the world and stuff, adn you WONT DIE. that doesn't sound very fun. but, if a new world started, you could be the one who knows all and tell peeps about the times before.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Before I answer: Do I know HOW I am immortal?

Do I suffer unimaginable pain when something that should kill me (like the sun expanding) doesn't?

Can I be put into a cryogenic state in case I get bored of life?

P

Pipo

Gimme teleportation or invisibility................for obvious reasons..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom