• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If you could only play one console, which will it be?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
If you were in some strange hypothetical situation in which you were only allowed to play a single console forever, which one would you pick? Would it be your favorite console or the one w/ the most games you enjoy?

I'd probably pick the Playstation 3. A big reason being all the PS2 hd compilations it has as well as the abundance of PS1 games on the PSN store. Plus my two favorite games are already playable on this system (Metal Gear Solid 3 and Grand Theft Auto Vice City). Even though this choice means I'll be cut off from my favorite Nintendo games, I still think the PS3 will be longer lasting for me overall.

I'd go for Gamecube.

It isn't even a console where I'd say many of my favourite games are but the games are top quality and varied.

On one hand you have the challenging Super Mario Sunshine (so it'd take me a while if I were stranded somewhere with it) and then on the other hand you have Eternal Darkness.

Smash bros Melee, F-Zero GX, 1080 Avalanche, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Donkey Konga (for the lols), Metroid Prime, the best Paper Mario, Viewtiful Joe, Soul Calibur 2 with Link, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart Double Dash, Ocarina of Time + Master Quest, Kirby's Air Ride, Ikaruga, Pokemon, Bloody Roar, FF Crystal Chronicles, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Resi 0-4, Star Fox Adventures if I'm feeling generous and my personal guilty pleasure crap as hell game P.N.03...such a good console.

Totally the one I'd go with.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Tough choice. My first thought was the SNES, but on reflection I might have to go with the Xbox 360.

I'd have my Halos. I'd have my Resident Evil C:V, 4, 5, 6, REvs 1, and 2. I'd have Morrowind and Oblivion (and Skyrim I suppose but its only real purpose to me would be making the others look good in comparison). I'd get to have Dishonored, too, which is very pleasing to me. GTA IV and V, too. Mass Effect 1 and 2. Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark via XBLA. The Hitman HD Collection.

Yeah, I could do a lot worse.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
This is a multifaceted question.

Does VC count in this? Otherwise, I would probably pick the N64 just to have SM64, but if so, I would probably pick my Wii U and download most of my favorite N64 games on it.

Do we only play our current library, or do we get new games as well? If its the latter, than I would probably opt for a few years of new experiences on the Switch over my old ones on the Wii U.

And additionally, I would like to consider what I originally thought was the topic from reading the title ("if you could play any one console"), and pick a console I haven't played yet. Which is a much harder question! I've played just about every Nintendo console outside of the VB and Game 'n' Watch, which would be pretty shallow experiences. I think ultimately I'd pick something like the Genesis, and see a whole side of early gaming I've never seen before. A second option would be a PS4; see if gaming on the most powerful console is all its cracked up to be. More importantly, it seems to gather more exclusives I happen to be curious about over the Xbox One, like The Last Guardian.

At the risk of going off topic, I wonder: would anyone here who has played both the Genesis and the PS4 recommend one over the other?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'd go for Gamecube.

It isn't even a console where I'd say many of my favourite games are but the games are top quality and varied.

On one hand you have the challenging Super Mario Sunshine (so it'd take me a while if I were stranded somewhere with it) and then on the other hand you have Eternal Darkness.

Smash bros Melee, F-Zero GX, 1080 Avalanche, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Donkey Konga (for the lols), Metroid Prime, the best Paper Mario, Viewtiful Joe, Soul Calibur 2 with Link, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart Double Dash, Ocarina of Time + Master Quest, Kirby's Air Ride, Ikaruga, Pokemon, Bloody Roar, FF Crystal Chronicles, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Resi 0-4, Star Fox Adventures if I'm feeling generous and my personal guilty pleasure crap as hell game P.N.03...such a good console.

Totally the one I'd go with.
If you chose the Wii however, you would get all of that, + Wii Virtual Console + Wii games.

I would probably choose the Wii. The backwards compatibility with the GameCube.
Yup, that's completely what I would go with due to sheer enormous amount of games, plus the back catalog of every major Nintendo game preceding it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
This is a multifaceted question.
as is any question that asks what the best system is, a lot of variables to take into consideration [online stores, backwards comparability, complication games,etc.]; though these are the parameters I had in mind
-I made sure to mention the PSN store as a way to say yes, games on the system's online stores can count, including virtual console
-You don't have to be limited to just your current library, you can still acquire new games for the system you chose
-backwards compatibility is up in the air, I chose not to mention the fact that the PS3 can play PS1 discs [or that I can use a model that can play PS2 discs] but if that's a factor in someone's choice,then by all means
also I think picking a system you have little experience w/ is a very interesting choice, most would rather play it safe for this kind of scenario

If you chose the Wii however, you would get all of that, + Wii Virtual Console + Wii games.

I would probably choose the Wii. The backwards compatibility with the GameCube.
Yup, that's completely what I would go with due to sheer enormous amount of games, plus the back catalog of every major Nintendo game preceding it.

If i'm honest i forgot the Wii existed. I hate the Wii and if it were the only console i could play forever then only two wii games would ever get played. It'd be a GC + VC machine.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I'd have to go for the ps2. It has a huge library. Sadly the ps3 doest have my fav games for ps2 or ps1 for download soo ill just go to ps2 for its great use of both and my already large lbrary of games.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would pick the PS4. It has my two favourite games of all time. Witcher 3 and Nier Automata, plus loads of good exclusives and 3rd party support.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Can I go with Nintendo X17? a Hypothetical future console that has every previous Nintendo game that ever existed on its Virtual console? No?

Well, I think I would go with the switch. Its the latest console so they will still be making new games for it for a while, I'm trusting that eventually Nintendo will have a virtual console on it that will allow me to replay many of my favorites. I hope that WWHD and TPHD will get a switch port since they are the latest remaster of some of my favorite gamecube games. It also has the ability to be played portably, so all I need is a generator and I could even enjoy it on a desert island.

MW7

Ignoring virtual consoles and re-releases, it would be the N64. Both Zeldas and Goldeneye are probably in my top 5 favorite games ever. Banjo Kazooie, DK 64, Super Mario 64, Mystical Ninja, and others are still being played by me today.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
as is any question that asks what the best system is, a lot of variables to take into consideration [online stores, backwards comparability, complication games,etc.]; though these are the parameters I had in mind
-I made sure to mention the PSN store as a way to say yes, games on the system's online stores can count, including virtual console
-You don't have to be limited to just your current library, you can still acquire new games for the system you chose
-backwards compatibility is up in the air, I chose not to mention the fact that the PS3 can play PS1 discs [or that I can use a model that can play PS2 discs] but if that's a factor in someone's choice,then by all means
also I think picking a system you have little experience w/ is a very interesting choice, most would rather play it safe for this kind of scenario
Ah, I see. If that's the case, then i would pick the Switch over the Wii U. I'll take the chance that VC doesn't come to Switch, but hopefully it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom