• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If you could give advice to your past self, what would it be?

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
Hello everyone! A lot of times people regret a lot of things that they have done in the past, often holding on to them and wishing they could have changed something that they have done. I’m only a teenager and I regret so much that I have done, I’m not a problem child, but of course I’ve made mistakes. We all have. And some of them have impacted us more than others. So, if there were some advice that you could tell your past self, what would it be?

For me, I would tell my past self, that no matter how angry some people get, especially family, they still love you and they care. They usually get mad because they don’t know the best way to express themselves and it bothers them. So they burst out. Usually because they have been bottling in their emotions, either of embarrassment, or in the hopes of being your role model. So you must stay strong and empathize with them. Think of things from their point of view. Would you feel the same? Maybe. That’s because we are human. Nobody is perfect. Fly high. But not too high, or your wings will melt, and you will crash into the sad ocean below you. If you do? Just remember to swim. :^^:

Don't trust anybody. Even when you think you're safe, there's much, much more going on in the background.
You're not crazy. As crazy as it sounds, that's what they want you to think.

Speak to a therapist. Don't just bottle it up. Actively fight for one if you have to.

And for god's sake, get the hell out of there.

Oh yeah, and be a little less judgmental. You'll become almost all of the things you actively hated.

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
Oh yeah, and be a little less judgmental. You'll become almost all of the things you actively hated.
This is very true. I didn’t think it was true back then. I hated my step-mother. But I’ve slowly started noticing that I am getting a few of my traits from her, and my real mother too.

This is very true. I didn’t think it was true back then. I hated my step-mother. But I’ve slowly started noticing that I am getting a few of my traits from her, and my real mother too.
Haha, I was more going along the lines of hating anyone that's an atheist, part of the LGBTQI+ community, or does anything that the bible says is wrong.

I was raised religious, and told to hate all of those things. Here I am nowadays, openly defying that, because a lot of those are close to my heart now, and feeling much better for it.

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
Haha, I was more going along the lines of hating anyone that's an atheist, part of the LGBTQI+ community, or does anything that the bible says is wrong.

I was raised religious, and told to hate all of those things. Here I am nowadays, openly defying that, because a lot of those are close to my heart now, and feeling much better for it.
Same. Literally. I still struggle with accepting myself. But I’m a work in progress.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
"Come here, sit down. Well ****ing pause it, this is important. Sit here. Right. As much as I know you're not going to listen to anything I have to say, I need to say it anyway.
"First off, when your birthday comes round, ask for a set of kettle weights. Talk to James about it so you get proper ones. Use them. And start going for walks a few times a week. You'd be surprised how much difference it'll make.
"Second, start writing again. You used to do it all the time as a kid, it was like an instinct. Start doing it again. You don't even have to finish anything, or have grand ideas, or be 'deep'. Just write stories. Don't let that part of you slip away, because you'll struggle to get it back, trust me.
"Third, don't say you'll go out with her. It'll only upset you for years because you're a spaz and even I can't help you with that. Just avoid it entirely, for your own sake.
"Fourth, hug your mum more. She deserves it.
"Fifth, — write this one down — when the 2015/16 football season starts, put a big bet on Leicester City winning the league. Trust me. And in 2015, bet on Trump.
"Right, you can go back to your game. Just don't forget any of that."

I found the opposite problem. It was LGBT people who made me fear associating with them, not my religious upbringing. The people in the communities that get the most attention actually damage what the community actually is, and their own ****ed up and twisted attitude toward LGBT people made me absolutely terrified to allow myself to come to terms with myself being LGBT. I suffered for well over a decade with these doubts. And even though I've learned to completely disregard these horrible people, it doesn't change the fact that they are always what is seen first, by the world, and my dad now thinks I'm one of them. I may be LGBT, but I can say with absolute confidence, I will never associate with communities whose entire basis is "empowering" LGBT people because they do the exact opposite and damage the way we are seen within the world. They're toxic and it needs to stop. Start seeing people are people, not their identities/orientation. How ironic they demand people to stop seeing them for such things, when they do the exact same. It's fetishization and is still considered discrimination, even if these people claim to be "pro" LGBT.

To my past self: If people don't respect your personal beliefs, then they don't respect you as a person and are not worth your time.

The people in the communities that get the most attention actually damage what the community actually is, and their own ****ed up and twisted attitude toward LGBT people made me absolutely terrified to allow myself to come to terms with myself being LGBT.
Yeah. At the end of the day, people are more than their gender identity or sexuality. Whether they're a good person or not is separate from that, and their actions and behaviour should be what you judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom