• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If a game is spoiled for you, would you still play it?

Yeah, I'd still play it. I was watching a video a few months ago about how spoilers actually make people more excited to experience stories. That makes sense, especially in the context of works from series you've never experienced before. It makes your purchase seem safer. Plus, with series you're more familiar with, I think spoilers aren't as big of a blow because you're more used to their format, and the type of twists they usually throw out.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
and if you're the type of person where your primary interest in a game is its story?
Then the story wasn't that good if a single spoiler was enough to turn you away. :eyes:

I was totally familiar with the plot of Nier Replicant by the time it came out, but that didn't stop it from hitting me right in the feels with each playthrough.

Some games it’s a bit hard to avoid these days, especially classics unfortunately. For many at least the story isn’t the biggest draw, or there are other enjoyable things about it, or it’s the type to be experienced more than once to really drive home a shift in perspective or to understand stuff that was confusing the first time.

Nowadays I try to avoid as much as I can, but it’s not always easy. There’s just no escaping some with how popular many games are. Games like Outer Wilds are so contingent on a blind experience that I may never feel the need to pick it up myself now I’ve seen people play it, just for one such example.

I'd still play it, a story isn't the only thing that makes a game good or not, a game has to strike the right balance of fun to play, intuitive controls, level design, and game mechanics, as well as story. All of these five things is what makes a good game in my opinion. So even if the story is spoiled. If the story is good enough, I'll still try it out, and see if I like the other aspects or not. Usually tipping the scale in fully dedicated in story isn't always a good thing, but neither is fully dedicating on gameplay elements. Striking a right balance is key. And that is something you can only get through experiencing the game yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom